Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

13 hours ago, nyer said:

rogerb, can you tell me how far the bus to Illetas beach is from where the shuttle drops us off outside the port?  Thanks for your help.

Just thought I would give you a little taster , Looks expensive but all beaches in Spain are free , the beds are charged for and the restaurant is very good .

rogerb, I have a few more questions.

1.  There are six in our family.  I know we will need two taxis.  Is there only one entrance to the beach in Illetas?   We want to be sure that we end up at the same place.

2.  When we leave the beach, are taxis readily available?

3.  I am assuming that the taxis will be right on the pier....is this correct?

Thanks for the above video.   Looks amazing.

2 hours ago, nyer said:

rogerb, I have a few more questions.

1.  There are six in our family.  I know we will need two taxis.  Is there only one entrance to the beach in Illetas?   We want to be sure that we end up at the same place.

2.  When we leave the beach, are taxis readily available?

3.  I am assuming that the taxis will be right on the pier....is this correct?

Thanks for the above video.   Looks amazing.

There are are 3 small beaches in Illetas but only  one entrance  to Balinerio Illetas ,you should have no problem getting  back ,I would take the bus ( no 4) stops at the entrance to the beach if a taxi does not come passed . getting off at Porto Pi you cannot miss it you will see your ship from the bus ,just remember  it is a long walk back to the ship from Porto Pi if you are on the furthest Quay. 

21 hours ago, nyer said:

Thank you so much for your help, roger b

Hi Just thought if you find the Balinario Illetas to crowded , there are two other small beaches within 100 meters 

And

• 4 weeks later...

Our first time in Palma de Mallorca. Will be there on the Constellation on October 24 - ship docks from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm so we are thinking 5-6 hours for sightseeing. Group of six, including my mom who uses a walker but she gets around with it very well - we just have to walk slower than the average group. Thinking about a DIY rather than a tour. Hoping to see Valdemossa and some highlights in Palma. I see there is a bus that runs to Valdemossa - is that a good option, or should we take a taxi there and back? Once we get back to Palma, we were thinking a cab to the Arab baths and then doing a short walk to include the cathedral, the royal palace, and llotja de Palma. Does this seem to much for 5-6 hours? Anything else we should not miss?

20 hours ago, sue123 said:

Our first time in Palma de Mallorca. Will be there on the Constellation on October 24 - ship docks from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm so we are thinking 5-6 hours for sightseeing. Group of six, including my mom who uses a walker but she gets around with it very well - we just have to walk slower than the average group. Thinking about a DIY rather than a tour. Hoping to see Valdemossa and some highlights in Palma. I see there is a bus that runs to Valdemossa - is that a good option, or should we take a taxi there and back? Once we get back to Palma, we were thinking a cab to the Arab baths and then doing a short walk to include the cathedral, the royal palace, and llotja de Palma. Does this seem to much for 5-6 hours? Anything else we should not miss?

Hi I recommend  you go by taxi as the bus will involve two changes to get to Valdemossa,  you will need two taxis but you will find this is the easiest  as your mother has a walker. 

The Arab baths are in the centre  of the old town and i dont think a taxi can drop you close to it  is quite a walk from the Cathedral ( very difficult for your mother).

Stick ot Valdemossa and the Cathedral  

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, JuliaMS said:

Hi, we will be in Palma in Monday October 24 from 11-7. There will be 4 ships in port that day and depending on how full they are could be 12,000+ passangers. I have seen you say there is plenty to do staying in Palma but with that many ships in will it be too crowded? What would you suggest for those hours staying in Palma?

we'll be in port that day as well, on the Celebrity Constellation! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norwega said:

we'll be in port that day as well, on the Celebrity Constellation! 

Hi, You will have no problem  with crowds as most will go on other tours around the Island.

We have had the aircraft carrier  Harry S Trueman here this week with 6000 sailors plus atleast one cruise ship a day and i have not noticed that many crowds around the town.

By October  the tourist season is coming to an end  ,so my recommendations  for your day in Palma starts at the Cathedral  and Almudania palace..then a stroll around the old town.there are various sites to see including the Arab baths and modern art museum..if you enjoy shopping you have an endless  choice. 

Stop for lunch the Spanish start around 2 pm Roger

We will be in Palma on July 31.  We would like to do the train and have lunch at Cafe Soller but not sure our schedule will really allow.  We arrive at 7:00am and the ship leaves at 4:00 pm.  The earliest train would have us arrive at 11:10 and we would need to leave at 2 to arrive back at 3.

Is less than 3 hours enough time to spend - including lunch?

I suppose we could take the bus there earlier, and return by train correct?  I believe that would be the #204 and that it takes 30min.

Is the return train reliable?  If we are there on time, are we guaranteed to get on it?  The timing feels a little tight to to me.

Would we be better off renting a car and skipping the train so we can come and go when we please?  Are the views by car similar?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 hour ago, mandream said:

We will be in Palma on July 31.  We would like to do the train and have lunch at Cafe Soller but not sure our schedule will really allow.  We arrive at 7:00am and the ship leaves at 4:00 pm.  The earliest train would have us arrive at 11:10 and we would need to leave at 2 to arrive back at 3.

Is less than 3 hours enough time to spend - including lunch?

I suppose we could take the bus there earlier, and return by train correct?  I believe that would be the #204 and that it takes 30min.

Is the return train reliable?  If we are there on time, are we guaranteed to get on it?  The timing feels a little tight to to me.

Would we be better off renting a car and skipping the train so we can come and go when we please?  Are the views by car similar?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes this is a bit difficult with the time you have and taxis  back from Soller are luck of the draw at this busy time.

Renting a car is not the same as the main experience  of the the train journey also very expensive if you can get one,  car rentals are in short suppy here .

My best advice is get the bus or a taxi  to Port de Soller around 8 TO 8.30am, then you will have time to have a coffee and walk along the seafront. 

Take the tram back to Soller and explore the village  have lunch around 12/12.30pm then get the train back to Palma .

Trains run on time and you shoud have no trouble getting a seat as this an early time to return. 

Roger

23 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi Mike,

Yes this is a bit difficult with the time you have and taxis  back from Soller are luck of the draw at this busy time.

Renting a car is not the same as the main experience  of the the train journey also very expensive if you can get one,  car rentals are in short suppy here .

My best advice is get the bus or a taxi  to Port de Soller around 8 TO 8.30am, then you will have time to have a coffee and walk along the seafront. 

Take the tram back to Soller and explore the village  have lunch around 12/12.30pm then get the train back to Palma .

Trains run on time and you shoud have no trouble getting a seat as this an early time to return. 

Roger

Further to above when you get to Port de Soller  go to the tram station in the middle of the seafront and book your seat back to Palma.

20 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi Mike,

Roger

19 hours ago, roger b said:

Further to above when you get to Port de Soller  go to the tram station in the middle of the seafront and book your seat back to Palma.

Thank you very much.

I'm wondering about renting a car right around the port.  Our time is limited.  We arrive at 8am and depart at 4pm.  We'd love to see Sant Elm. Deia', and Soller.  Seems like a lot of driving and not even sure we can knock off all 3 with time to enjoy them.

1. Can we rent a car near the port, or are we forced to shuttle to the airport to pick up a car?

2. Are we trying to do too much?

3. Are there any can't miss restaurants along the way?

Thanks!

Hi

We will be in Palma on September 12th, Wonder of the Seas.  We would like to take a taxi to a beach and also return to the ship.  We would likely only be on beach 3 hours, is it possible to arrange a taxi ahead of time or are there taxis available at the port?  Also we would like to go to a beach with chairs and umbrellas to rent on a sand beach.  We are two seniors with mobility issues.

any recommendations welcome.

thanks

12 hours ago, BubbaBoat said:

I'm wondering about renting a car right around the port.  Our time is limited.  We arrive at 8am and depart at 4pm.  We'd love to see Sant Elm. Deia', and Soller.  Seems like a lot of driving and not even sure we can knock off all 3 with time to enjoy them.

1. Can we rent a car near the port, or are we forced to shuttle to the airport to pick up a car?

2. Are we trying to do too much?

3. Are there any can't miss restaurants along the way?

Thanks!

Hi

This is quite doable in the time you have ashore from Araash ask for Carlos he will leave the car in the port car and you return it there will give you maximum time ashore.

https://www.arashrentacar.com/

You have a big choice of restaurant for lunch :

Andraix is a must visit on this route :https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g616239-d985407-Reviews-Vent_De_Tramuntana-Port_d_Andratx_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

St Elm https://esraor.es/

Deia https://www.helencummins.com/deia-restaurants/

Soller: https://www.cafesoller.com/

Roger

10 hours ago, crismjones said:

Hi

We will be in Palma on September 12th, Wonder of the Seas.  We would like to take a taxi to a beach and also return to the ship.  We would likely only be on beach 3 hours, is it possible to arrange a taxi ahead of time or are there taxis available at the port?  Also we would like to go to a beach with chairs and umbrellas to rent on a sand beach.  We are two seniors with mobility issues.

any recommendations welcome.

thanks

Hi You should be able to get a taxi at the dock , my best beach that is near the port with plenty of facilities Beach Bar ,beds etc you would have to be able to get down one set of stairs.

https://balnearioilletas.com/

If you cannot manage that you can go to Palma Nova beach , no stairs !!

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/palma-nova-beach-palma-nova-660995

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi

This is quite doable in the time you have ashore from Araash ask for Carlos he will leave the car in the port car and you return it there will give you maximum time ashore.

https://www.arashrentacar.com/

You have a big choice of restaurant for lunch :

Andraix is a must visit on this route :https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g616239-d985407-Reviews-Vent_De_Tramuntana-Port_d_Andratx_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

St Elm https://esraor.es/

Deia https://www.helencummins.com/deia-restaurants/

Soller: https://www.cafesoller.com/

Roger

If you want somewhere really special for lunch :

https://www.facebook.com/Cas-Patró-March-Cala-Deià-218081611556289/

You must book A.S.A.P

We will be in Palma on Celebrity Edge on Aug 5th from 8 am with all aboard at 4pm.

We were planning to go into Palma walk around and then take the 10:10 train to Sollar, possibly have lunch in port of Sollar and then take a cab back to Palma leaving an hour to 2 to see a bit of Palma.

However I was thinking it might be best to do this in reverse.  Take a cab to port of Sollar, walk around then tram to Sollar and train back to Palma.  I see there are trains back at 10:50 and 12:15.  If we are there by 9 at port of Sollar, is it reasonable to take the 10:50 train back which would put us in Palma by noon leaving about 3 hours for lunch and exploring before heading to the ship around 3pm

opinions on if this works better are appreciated .  It seems most folks do the first option, but I’m leaning towards the second.

1 hour ago, njcanuck said:

We will be in Palma on Celebrity Edge on Aug 5th from 8 am with all aboard at 4pm.

We were planning to go into Palma walk around and then take the 10:10 train to Sollar, possibly have lunch in port of Sollar and then take a cab back to Palma leaving an hour to 2 to see a bit of Palma.

However I was thinking it might be best to do this in reverse.  Take a cab to port of Sollar, walk around then tram to Sollar and train back to Palma.  I see there are trains back at 10:50 and 12:15.  If we are there by 9 at port of Sollar, is it reasonable to take the 10:50 train back which would put us in Palma by noon leaving about 3 hours for lunch and exploring before heading to the ship around 3pm

opinions on if this works better are appreciated .  It seems most folks do the first option, but I’m leaning towards the second.

Hj,

Yes your plan would be the best way round , but everything would have to fall into place Taxis are in short supply here and you would have to make sure you were one of the first off the ship.

if you are able to make it to Port de Soller by 9 .30/10.00 am you will have to get the 12.15 train back to Palma you won't make the 10.15.

This will give you plenty of time in for light lunch and a walk around Palma .

I wrote about this earlier (mandream) but they wanted lunch in Soller .

You are right your plan is better to get the 12.15 and have lunch in Palma it looks like he is on the same cruise as you see if you can share the taxi 

Hi Roger

We're doing the Soller train on Sat 20th Aug. It appears if you book on their website, you get a voucher which you have to exchange for a ticket at the station. Is that correct? If so, is there a queue that 'jumps' the main ticket queue, as we will have a reservation? Tried getting an answer to this online, but can't find this particular bit of info!

Thanks

Simon

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Roger

We're doing the Soller train on Sat 20th Aug. It appears if you book on their website, you get a voucher which you have to exchange for a ticket at the station. Is that correct? If so, is there a queue that 'jumps' the main ticket queue, as we will have a reservation? Tried getting an answer to this online, but can't find this particular bit of info!

Thanksy

Simon

Hi Smon that is correct  you will have a reserved seat on the train , you just pick the ticket up at the station should not be any problems. 

Roger

On 7/26/2022 at 12:19 AM, roger b said:

Hj,

Yes your plan would be the best way round , but everything would have to fall into place Taxis are in short supply here and you would have to make sure you were one of the first off the ship.

if you are able to make it to Port de Soller by 9 .30/10.00 am you will have to get the 12.15 train back to Palma you won't make the 10.15.

This will give you plenty of time in for light lunch and a walk around Palma .

I wrote about this earlier (mandream) but they wanted lunch in Soller .

You are right your plan is better to get the 12.15 and have lunch in Palma it looks like he is on the same cruise as you see if you can share the taxi 

Not on the same ship, but similar times in Port.  We're on the Constellation rather than the Edge.

You make a good point that the real issue with our plan hinges on lunch in Soller.  That actually isn't a requirement - only I saw you had recommended Cafe Soller I checked their website and seemed like a good choice for both my kids (ages 10 and 11) and my wife who is vegan. Lunch in Palma would make things easier.

Soooo...... do you have any recommendations for a good restaurant in Palma that would have vegan options?  Less concerned about the kids as they can be more flexible but my wife is strictly vegan. 

Thanks again for all your help.