Questions about the Jewel

Scubadoc

We are considering booking the April 15 2021 Hawaii and Tahiti cruise on the jewel.  It's been along time since we have been on Norwegian. This will be our 40th anniversary and so we are looking at the SM category aft suite with large balcony or the SD category  forward suite with large balcony. Can someone help me with these questions?

Which of these do you prefer? Do you get too much wind on the forward balconies?

Is this a new itinerary for the ship? I can't find reviews of a Hawaii and Tahiti cruise on Norwegian? Has anyone done one and if so do you recommend it? 

Since we will not be in the haven what are the suite benefits on the jewel? Is there a special restaurant where we can eat breakfast and lunch?  Does this category of suite get the butler and concierge service? Any other issues with the suites on the jewel that we should be aware of?   I have read some conflicting things online about suite benefits for this ship. 

Were the suites upgraded during the recent drydock? All the videos of the aft suites are old and the carpet looks hideous and the room just looks dated. 

How is the thermal suite on the ship? We have really enjoyed these. Is it coed? Is there a hydrotherapy pool?

Does this ship have a vibe or some other quiet adult only sundeck?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, Scubadoc said:

We are considering booking the April 15 2021 Hawaii and Tahiti cruise on the jewel.  It's been along time since we have been on Norwegian. This will be our 40th anniversary and so we are looking at the SM category aft suite with large balcony or the SD category  forward suite with large balcony. Can someone help me with these questions?

Which of these do you prefer? Do you get too much wind on the forward balconies?

There is something going on with NCL relabling the Suites and recharactoring the suite butler concierge

services - - -

Forward balconies on all ships will have the wind component - more so heading into a head wind

and not so much with a tail wind.  Heading into the wind do not open the balcony door and the cabin

door AT THE SAME TIME creating a vortex wind tunnel.

Is this a new itinerary for the ship? I can't find reviews of a Hawaii and Tahiti cruise on Norwegian? Has anyone done one and if so do you recommend it? 

I am on the JEWEL at this posting =

This sailing is the end of the Alaska Seward Vancouver cruises -

Will have a couple more Vancouver closed loop trips and a repositioning cruise to Hawaii - Tahiti -

and season cruising New Zealand Australia --- the reverse in the Spring of next year.

Since we will not be in the haven what are the suite benefits on the jewel? Is there a special restaurant where we can eat breakfast and lunch?  Does this category of suite get the butler and concierge service? Any other issues with the suites on the jewel that we should be aware of?   I have read some conflicting things online about suite benefits for this ship. 

Presently all suites have Breakfast and Lunch at Modernos - no changes forseen here ---

Presently all suites have Concierge and Butler service ---

As previous posted above - there is something planned with relabling suites and perhaps reducing

Concierge and Butler service - but just nothing  official YET !

Not an inkle or hint on board - - -

Were the suites upgraded during the recent drydock? All the videos of the aft suites are old and the carpet looks hideous and the room just looks dated. 

In 15500 a recent cabin modification with the dry-dock - everything in the Haven looks to be upgraded -

nothing hideous or worn.

How is the thermal suite on the ship? We have really enjoyed these. Is it coed? Is there a hydrotherapy pool?

Does this ship have a vibe or some other quiet adult only sundeck?

thanks!

Can't answer questions about thermal spa coed pools - - - vibe 

Quiet (adult) sundeck is forward on deck 14 and somewhat on the adjacent deck 13 !

Sundeck not of much use today RAIN - more rain - and still more rain - at Icy Strait Point.

The saunas and steamrooms are in the women and men locker rooms. Not coed. The coed hydro “pool” is a larger jacuzzi. There are also jacuzzi in the locker room areas (not coed). In the locker rooms, clothing is optional, so lots of jiggly bits in the bubbles. 

Right now, suites and Haven are similar. Except the Haven have a tiny courtyard with s tiny pool. 

We always try to get forward facing suites on the small ships. Out favorite rooms. 

The itinerary is a one-off repositioning cruise. Not a regular on NCL. Once a year, the move the ship from Alaska to Asia and Australia. At the end of the season, the move her back. The only constant are port calls in the Hawaiian islands.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The saunas and steamrooms are in the women and men locker rooms. Not coed. The coed hydro “pool” is a larger jacuzzi. There are also jacuzzi in the locker room areas (not coed). In the locker rooms, clothing is optional, so lots of jiggly bits in the bubbles. 

Is the steam room and jacuzzi in the locker room included in the price of the cruise or is it an extra fee?

• 2 weeks later...

ScubaDoc,

I've only been on two cruises:  One on NCL Jewell and one on Royal Caribbean.  Cabin service on the Jewell is wonderful.  Front desk and excursions not so good.  My issue with NCL is the quality (plenty of not too tasty choices) of the food.  I find the dinning room food to be the same as the buffet, with the primary difference being a longer wait and cold food in the dinning rooms.   I was not expecting Michelin starred dinning experiences.  I can say the food at the Golden Corral is superior, in every way, to that offered on NCL.  I have heard the same from many friends and colleagues.  

If the food is important, I would  consider alternatives.  Happy anniversary.  

We are in an Aft SF suite on our 2019 Tahiti to Sydney cruise. We are getting Butler and Concierge  service. I do remember seeing that NCL was going to change the Aft Suite perks going forward. My advise is to call NCL and ask your questions so you can make your decision as to what cabin catogory you choose. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:57 PM, BirdTravels said:

Right now, suites and Haven are similar. Except the Haven have a tiny courtyard with s tiny pool. 

The pool is a swim-against-the-current endless lap exercise pool and it is great.  These are the only places in the NCL fleet to take a real swim.  The Haven is pleasant, private and typically quiet and relaxing.  The haven butler will bring you whatever food and drink you would like.