Best Side for Sail In

fiftyguy

Hi

For my upcoming cruise I want to be on the best side for sail in to each port (our cabin is starboard). Which side, port or starboard, is best for Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, PEI, La Baie and Quebec City.

Thank you for any tips you can provide.

32 minutes ago, fiftyguy said:

Hi

For my upcoming cruise I want to be on the best side for sail in to each port (our cabin is starboard). Which side, port or starboard, is best for Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, PEI, La Baie and Quebec City.

Go up/out on deck...it'll be easy to find out...enjoy !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fiftyguy said:

Thanks for the really helpful answer. I guess that’s how you got to 20,000+ posts.

Well, you have over a 1,000 posts yourself.  You were given an honest, if a bit facetious, answer.  It was also true.  The "best" anything is subjective.  The ship is not moving all that fast.  Walk around a find a place you like.

14 hours ago, fiftyguy said:

Which side, port or starboard, is best for Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, PEI, La Baie and Quebec City.

The short answer is it doesn't really matter where you choose because the position of the ship docking changes every time in most of these ports so there is no way to really be sure ahead of time. We have been docked both with the bow up river and down river in Quebec City and also both ways in Halifax. For a majority of sailing along the St Lawrence, most of it frankly looks the same from both sides of the ship. 

If you really wanted to hedge your bets and make sure you were in a position for seeing everything from your cabin I would switch to a forward or rear facing one.

9 hours ago, fiftyguy said:

Thanks for the really helpful answer. I guess that’s how you got to 20,000+ posts.

You're so welcome...I gave you a simple...correct....answer to your question.

My post count means absolutely nothing to me (apparently it does to you).

I'm only trying to "pay forward" in some way to the many that have helped me.

As I said "enjoy" !!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fiftyguy said:

Hi

You don't mention what ship you'll be on and that will make a difference.  We did this itinerary on Celebrity's Summit and they have the Reflection Lounge forward on the top deck (10); the entire front of that room is glass.  There were comfortable chairs right by the window and several of us sat there as the ship sailed up the St. Lawrence to Quebec City.  As it was a wet morning, that was the best place to be for the best view.  Ordinarily, I move around as a ship heads into port and like to take photos as we move towards the port.  One of my most "daring" spots was on the Royal Princess as we approached Cobh, Ireland--I went as high and as far forward as I could--Deck 18 (above the Sanctuary).  I think the ship had offered a star-gazing opportunity up there on a prior cruise so I knew how to get up there.  It can be cold and windy in these locations so one needs to dress appropriately.  

As for your ports:  Bar Harbor is a tender port so it doesn't make any difference; at Halifax I have been outside and high when leaving the port (most arrivals are too early for me to get up and watch from outside)--the dock is about 5 miles from the ocean, but I did enjoy the sailaway; at Sydney and PEI, the docks are almost right on the ocean.  Haven't been to La Baie.

We are just finishing up a New England/Canada cruise. With a few exceptions (Quebec City being one), these are not dramatic sail ins and there really isn’t a “best side.”  Don’t get too worked up about them.

In Halifax, once your ship docks, head over to the side facing the dock so you can see and hear the bagpiper welcoming the ship. Same before you sail, for the bagpiper bidding you farewell. 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, fiftyguy said:

Hi

Hi Fiftyguy,

As you state a preference for the view sailing IN, I feel that for Quebec City starboard is better. You will have a view on Île d’Orléans, as opposed to fields of nothing, then on Montmorency falls, and then of course on Cap Diamant, which is the absolute best photo shoot of Quebec City.

The views are splendid sailing out as well, but there is something special about coming into Cap Diamant. 

Enjoy you cruise.