All new policy tipping / auto-gratuity?

s.s.France

I remember when tips in UK were 5%, then the norm moved to 10%, now 10% is seen as a minimum. Why they have spiralled upwards I don't know. 

Gland to see minimum wage in UK hopefully increasing significantly.  Whether when prices go up people will be expected to tip less is another question.

Many many low paid workers are doing jobs were tipping isn't "the culture"...shop staff..office workers..call centre..etc. But imagine if some of them saved really hard to go on a cruise they'd be expected to pay other low paid workers a hefty tip... That's so wrong!

• Like 1

I don’t believe anyone should be comparing anyone else. No one is forced to work or holiday on a cruise ship irrespective of origin and nationality. Crew and passengers have the option of choosing the deal on the table whether it is a contract to work or a holiday. If they don’t like what they signed up to they only have themselves to blame. If the deal doesn’t suit, don’t sign up. Simple.

• Like 3

Just remember, many of the crew earn many times what they could earn at home. Everything is relevant.

We know many "low paid" crew members, who have worked for Cunard for more than 10 years. One even told us that they were about to buy their SECOND house as an investment.

This concept of working in another higher paid environment, is not confined to Third World countries. My daughter was based in Oslo for a year and worked on a ship which meant she was very highly paid (Norway pays very high wages in general, but taxation is high). However, as she was ship based, her salary was tax free, just like the crew of Cunard, and similarly, they all live rent free with food provided.

Come to think about it, why don't I do it?

Stewart

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Just remember, many of the crew earn many times what they could earn at home. Everything is relevant.

We know many "low paid" crew members, who have worked for Cunard for more than 10 years. One even told us that they were about to buy their SECOND house as an investment.

This concept of working in another higher paid environment, is not confined to Third World countries. My daughter was based in Oslo for a year and worked on a ship which meant she was very highly paid (Norway pays very high wages in general, but taxation is high). However, as she was ship based, her salary was tax free, just like the crew of Cunard, and similarly, they all live rent free with food provided.

Come to think about it, why don't I do it?

Stewart

How true.

There was a MD on Celebrity who put his 3 children through university and beyond.

One is a fighter pilot for the country's airforce, one is a pilot for the national airline, one is a partner in a corporate lawyer practice in NY.

His wife manages their property portfolio.

Not bad for a low paid member of ship's crew.

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

I don’t believe anyone should be comparing anyone else. No one is forced to work or holiday on a cruise ship irrespective of origin and nationality. Crew and passengers have the option of choosing the deal on the table whether it is a contract to work or a holiday. If they don’t like what they signed up to they only have themselves to blame. If the deal doesn’t suit, don’t sign up. Simple.

If everyone is  happy  to work on the cruise line, why are you getting so upset when people (me) suggest we will opt out of auto gratuities 

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If everyone is  happy  to work on the cruise line, why are you getting so upset when people (me) suggest we will opt out of auto gratuities 

Throughout this thread I believe I have kept a level head and I certainly have not been “upset”.

My criticism, and I make no apology if that upset you (it appears to have done), is the fallacious arguments that you have advanced including opting out and then opting back in which frankly neither stands scrutiny nor makes any logical sense.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, Underwatr said:

Americans are charged gratuities, it's just that in many booking promotions it's charged and refunded.

Aren't many Australian fares gratuity-included? 

No, they're not. Most Australian fares on Cunard are not 'gratuities-inclusive'. They are charged in addition to the fare.

I have followed this thread through the first pages and then stopped reading. So I'm sorry if this has already pointed out but Cunard was forced to use this complicated concept of tipping voluntarily by form instead of auto-gratuities because the German Supreme Court decided that cruise lines could no longer NOT include gratuities in their pricing. To lower catalogue prices, many companies like MSC, Celebrity or Cunard had quoted a price and included a sentence that gratuities were automatically added on board but you could have them taken off even you were not satisfied with the service.

This was not allowed any more. German cruiselines like AIDA or TUI-cruises have always included grats in their prices or, as small Phoenixreisen, still hand out envelopes to give tips voluntarily.

We have never opted out of paying tips that were automatically booked onto our onboard account. But I personally would prefer to either have companies like Azamara where tips are included automatically - even if you can give more if you wish - or that Cunard included gratuities world-wide at the risk of having higher prices. What I don't find amusing though is the fact that Cunard's management ( as other cruiselines do as well) hands out different prices and incentives to different countries ( see the examples given France/Germany vs. UK or Australia vs. US or Canada). We, for example, were never given free wi-fi or drinks packages - sorry if I'm shown green with envy or looking at sour grapes here...

And no, we are not allowed to book in the UK as far as I know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course they dopn't want you to book in another country, but in the EU, stopping you from buying in another EU country would be illegal.

However, many people work and live abroad. Even if just temporarily, so how would any company know if you reside in that country or not? All you need is a valid address in the country of booking. I know that some people use the Travel Agent's address.

The interweb is a wonderful thing!

Of course they dopn't want you to book in another country, but in the EU, stopping you from buying in another EU country would be illegal.

However, many people work and live abroad. Even if just temporarily, so how would any company know if you reside in that country or not? All you need is a valid address in the country of booking. I know that some people use the Travel Agent's address.

Indeed. I've read other UK residents on this board have done so when booking in the US. One just has to be mindful that you get a "local" CWC Number the first time which needs to be linked to any existing account otherwise the loyalty record is separated. You could inadvertently become a "redtop" when in fact you may be diamond and not receive the benefits!!

Just a rumour, but it could be that some UK residents may have been able to book via a USA TA and used the TA's address in the USA as "their" address, thereby getting all the benefits of a US resident.

But this could be totally fake news, or not.

Just now, North West Newbie said:

Indeed. I've read other UK residents on this board have done so when booking in the US. One just has to be mindful that you get a "local" CWC Number the first time which needs to be linked to any existing account otherwise the loyalty record is separated. You could inadvertently become a "redtop" when in fact you may be diamond and not receive the benefits!!

Change of address?

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

No, I believe a second address. I have no personal experience but from what I’ve read numerous people report that it is possible with the caveat of the additional CWC number.

With cruise history added by the US T/A?

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:04 AM, Yoshikitty said:

That is not correct.

We and most of other germans are tipping between 5% -10% of the restaurant check on top - though exceptions happen every day.

I was in Germany a week ago, and this is not my observable experience.  I was not near Hamburg, however.:-)

11 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

I doubt it because, from what I understand, Cunard USA operate a separate CWC database. The best the US T/A can do is request a link with the UK one.

I had two CWC numbers. To have them combined just took a phone call to Southampton.

28 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

With regard to a European  booking in another EU country,  you should be able to use your home address to book in another country. Stopping you is illegal,  against  single market rules. 

This is true and there are some who have ( for example) booked on Hurtigruten's Norwegian site without trouble. But on the one hand by your booking you also have a contract under Norwegian law ( as in the case stated), and , on the other hand, I'm afraid I wouldn't try to book in the UK at the moment as another poster suggested. Quite often prices and perks regarding many cruise lines are much better than "on the mainland", but without getting political - The UK is on the brink of leaving the EU....