If you sailed from Seattle to Alaska this year....

Kwaj girl

....was a certified government-issued birth certificate plus a valid government-issued photo ID considered sufficient proof of citizenship for US citizens (vs having to present a passport)?  Am getting conflicting info and want to be prepared for next year. (REALLY asking for a friend, as I always use my passport no matter what)

Edited by Kwaj girl

14 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

....was a certified government-issued birth certificate plus a valid government-issued photo ID considered sufficient proof of citizenship for US citizens (vs having to present a passport)?  Am getting conflicting info and want to be prepared for next year. (REALLY asking for a friend, as I always use my passport no matter what)

I would definiately check with the cruiseline they are traveling on, as it could vary by line AND you do not want to risk a surprise at check-in.

23 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I would definiately check with the cruiseline they are traveling on, as it could vary by line AND you do not want to risk a surprise at check-in.

The line in question is HAL, thus my reason for posting this question here.

Also - immigration requirements are not set by the cruiseline - they are set by the government and thus should be the same no matter what line you sail...assuming itinerary details are identical.  The question is when you get 2 different answers from supposedly government entities. My question on THIS board was to hear the experiences of those who specifically sailed roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska this year on HAL.

5 minutes ago, ski ww said:

I've heard horror stories about people who traveled without passport, not worth the trouble if something happened.  

Agree!  I will not travel without my passport, but I am still awaiting the answer from my original question based on a HAL cruiser from this year.

59 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Also - immigration requirements are not set by the cruiseline - they are set by the government and thus should be the same no matter what line you sail...assuming itinerary details are identical.  The question is when you get 2 different answers from supposedly government entities. 

There are cruise lines that require passports, even though governments do not.

We sailed the 14 day out of Seattle this year. A birth certificate and government issued photo ID was allowed. Note, however, we did not stop in Skagway, where a passport IS required for the Yukon excursions.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are cruise lines that require passports, even though governments do not.

We sailed the 14 day out of Seattle this year. A birth certificate and government issued photo ID was allowed. Note, however, we did not stop in Skagway, where a passport IS required for the Yukon excursions.

Good point about Skagway, though their cruise does not stop there, either.

19 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

Just tell them - stop being so darned stubborn and just get the blasted passport!!!

You can lead a horse to water.....

Honestly....they are spending X amount of $$ for this cruise but are trying to pinch pennies with regards to a passport.  Nor do they want to fly the day before - they want to save the cost of a hotel room.  Glad I'm not traveling with them.

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1

I know preaching to the choir, we did the 14 day also this year but have passports. What you should tell them is...if it was today you could do it without passport........BUT... if they are going next year then who knows what could happen with customs/immigration, things change and terrorists in other parts of the world change how OUR county deals with it. If they don't get them now, then a month before their cruise something changes they would have to expedite them at an even greater cost. 

Not worth the hassle or worry, and the only time I would not go to port a day early is if the port was less than 100 miles away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Agree!  I will not travel without my passport, but I am still awaiting the answer from my original question based on a HAL cruiser from this year.

I take my passport to go shopping at WalMart!  Just kidding, but - "when in doubt, take it". It doesn't take up much space....