Live from the Viking Star 9/28/19 Venice to Barcelona

zitsky

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok Liz I'll post more then.  I'm missing the first day. I'll try to get a copy.  We might have thrown it away by mistake.

They usually have extras at the Explorer's Desk.  We did some fill in on some that we  had misplaced on the day before we departed the ship.

1 minute ago, Dauntless said:

They usually have extras at the Explorer's Desk.  We did some fill in on some that we  had misplaced on the day before we departed the ship.

Thanks.  I haven't had time to see them about the booking error I mentioned.  Maybe tomorrow.  I'll ask for a Daily.

Were you on this itinerary recently, or am I thinking of someone else?

Listening to a live guitar player doing Easy Listening songs in the Explorer Lounge after sail away.

Nice time in Venice.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

Trying to use the Voyager app for dinner reservations.   I keep getting booking error.  I will try the tv or call guest services.

Didn't use the app on this cruise as we waited until we got to the ship and that didn't work.  No advance reservations in V but we ate in specialty restaurants 4 nights of a 12 might cruise.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  I haven't had time to see them about the booking error I mentioned.  Maybe tomorrow.  I'll ask for a Daily.

Were you on this itinerary recently, or am I thinking of someone else?

Listening to a live guitar player doing Easy Listening songs in the Explorer Lounge after sail away.

Nice time in Venice.

I did this cruise a little over a year ago. 

I hope you have Daniel as your guitar guy.  Very personable, broad range of music and great at what he does.

As for the WC: was it the smell of food in the restaurant or the food on your plate that you objected to?  Never a problem for me but you can always take your food to the infinity pool area (though the view in port in Venice is not that great)or out to the pool grill area.  After the first night of grilling fish at the back of the ship, I learned it was not for me, with the smell.  Not a big fan in the first place and the smell hit me when I got off the aft elevators Though it was not a problem with my fellow traveler so I guess we all react to smells differently.

The head of guest services is always someone good to know.  If you're not combative they will try to move mountains for you, throughout your cruise.

We also went to the Palace during our post stay in Venice and enjoyed it but of course the Doges Palace was so spectacular, everything else seemed mild by comparison.  We stayed 3 more nights in Venice.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

Something to mention to the restaurant manager at the World Cafe.  The placemats are not hygienic.  If you spill something it soaks through.  If you don't notice it, it just stays there on the table.

This is not a problem unique to the WC.  I have a similar design at home.

There is a whole thread on this topic already.

• Like 1

we bring our insulated coffee mugs from home....take it to the Living Room Bar and have them brew you a cup...and voila great to go coffee wherever you choose to dine in the morning!!!

we did find that Mamsan's was always OK too!

Edited by deec

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Can you list your itinerary?  I'm curious cause the Venus invitational cruise is Rome to Barcelona....anxious to see what it will consist of. 

Zitsky is on Mediterranean Odyssey, starting in Venice.

Currently, the Rome to Barcelona route is Rome-Livorno-Monte Carlo-Marseille-Montpelier-Barcelona and for details you can look at Iconic Western Med. However, the sailing you are on is a special sailing and there is no telling what they are planning for it.

9 hours ago, deec said:

we bring our insulated coffee mugs from home....take it to the Living Room Bar and have them brew you a cup...and voila great to go coffee wherever you choose to dine in the morning!!!

we did find that Mamsan's was always OK too!

Dr. Zitsky keeps reminding me to use the espresso machine.  He keeps making redeyes.  Coffee plus espresso.

Wine list for lunch in Split on the water.

I can highly recommend Storija.  Portions are small but food is very good.

Had the Malvasia (dry, low residual sugar) and Stina Posip (also dry but more residual sugar).  Paired better with white fish filet.

20190930_134654.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Looks great! Thanks. Can't wait to see what Viking comes up with for the Rome to Barcelona. Unfortunately, from what agents tell me, it's unlikely that there will be any pre or post-extensions due to the cruise being non-public. 

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Zitsky is on Mediterranean Odyssey, starting in Venice.

Currently, the Rome to Barcelona route is Rome-Livorno-Monte Carlo-Marseille-Montpelier-Barcelona and for details you can look at Iconic Western Med. However, the sailing you are on is a special sailing and there is no telling what they are planning for it.

Thanks. I had looked at the 'typical' Rome to Barcelona but, as you said, they could easily come up with something different. We've heard nothing further since the 'save the date' invitation was sent out a few months ago. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Trying out Mexican Night at the pool before dinner at the restaurant with friends.  Very good guacamole and ceviche.  Didn't try anything else.

This seems like a good idea and it was a space on the ship that set idle after the snack time ended at 5:00.  I didn't look at dailies to see the hours.  If it's open before movies or 'pool shows' that might also be a plus.   I wonder if it was Mexican Night at 'Chef's Table"?