Live from the Viking Star 9/28/19 Venice to Barcelona

zitsky

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Looks great! Thanks. Can't wait to see what Viking comes up with for the Rome to Barcelona. Unfortunately, from what agents tell me, it's unlikely that there will be any pre or post-extensions due to the cruise being non-public. 

Both 'anchor' ports need your attention.  Wonderful locations shouldn't be glossed over as just a place to start and end the cruise.  If they are not offering extensions you are in luck as you will save lots of money planning it yourself.  We did.  Five days total in Barcelona as we had an over night there and did a tour in Rome as we were only there one day.  Different direction but the same cruise that this thread is reporting.

36 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

This seems like a good idea and it was a space on the ship that set idle after the snack time ended at 5:00.  I didn't look at dailies to see the hours.  If it's open before movies or 'pool shows' that might also be a plus.   I wonder if it was Mexican Night at 'Chef's Table"?

Chef's Table Mexican night is towards the end of the cruise.

I went to the World Cafe at 10pm.  They were cleaning up but I could still get some tea.  The staff member reminded me that room service could deliver it.

I grabbed a chamomile and mint tea bag and made a good cul of tea.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Dr. Zitsky keeps reminding me to use the espresso machine.  He keeps making redeyes.  Coffee plus espresso.

Ha!  And I thought we had discovered that great combo!  Every morning:  coffee plus expression!!  Yum!!!  We wound up recruiting several others to this drink too.

4 hours ago, Dauntless said:

Both 'anchor' ports need your attention.  Wonderful locations shouldn't be glossed over as just a place to start and end the cruise.  If they are not offering extensions you are in luck as you will save lots of money planning it yourself.  We did.  Five days total in Barcelona as we had an over night there and did a tour in Rome as we were only there one day.  Different direction but the same cruise that this thread is reporting.

Point well taken. Can't do too much post-cruise in Barcelona since we booked the Iberian explorer that leaves the following day (to make it a B2B). Hard to plan until we know more about the details of the invitational sailing. 

I found it amusing to watch the waiters in the World Cafe.  When someone needs a fork or cup or spoon they just move it from another table instead of getting it from the back.  More efficient, perhaps?  It's like a shell game.

In Dubrovnik today....

20191001_085644.jpg

Edited by zitsky

I learned today that it is certainly possible to find the pool empty.  I went around 5pm which was sail away from Dubrovnik.  No one in the pool and hot tub except my husband and me.

Edited by zitsky

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Chef's Table was mostly very good.   Loud though.  Main course and rice were pretty salty.  Chinese menu.  Xiao menu.

Wonder if it was loud because of the diners there.  We didn't find it loud in the least and maybe the difference is the diners at that particular time.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I brought a sweater.  I don't think I'll use it.

Oh-oh! We're doing this cruise in a few weeks and I've got mostly warm long sleeves & sweaters. Looks like I had better add in more short sleeves as well?!  I'll be following the rest of your ports/posts to see if it gets any cooler...;)

Edited by comeonnow1

1 hour ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Wonder if it was loud because of the diners there.  We didn't find it loud in the least and maybe the difference is the diners at that particular time.

The restaurant was only about 1/2 full when we walked in.  I thought it was bad acoustics.

1 hour ago, comeonnow1 said:

Oh-oh! We're doing this cruise in a few weeks and I've got mostly warm long sleeves & sweaters. Looks like I had better add in more short sleeves as well?!  I'll be following the rest of your ports/posts to see if it gets any cooler...;)

I would take a mix of short sleeve and long sleeve.  Maybe take some shorts.  Watch the forecast.  We may get 1 or 2 days of rain.

Today in Duvrovnik it was at least 76 F but it felt warmer.  I had shorts and tshirt on.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

I don't know why yet, but I have Verizon and I had cell service in Split, but not in Dubrovnik.

I changed nothing but cell service in Dubrovnik started working later in the day.