Transportation from New york city cruise terminal to Princeton, NJ

yurey5ph

Hi,

We, four seniors with 4-5 pieces of luggage, are going to visit my son in Princeton after debarkation off the cruise.  What's the best choice, taxi, Uber/Lyft or private arranged car?
Is there a taxi station outside the cruise terminal or where to wait for Uber pickup? Any private car company you'd recommend?

One more question, the New York yellow cab charges fixed rate from JFK to Manhattan. Does it include  New York City Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan?

Thanks for the help.

TTC

53 minutes ago, yurey5ph said:

Hi,

We, four seniors with 4-5 pieces of luggage, are going to visit my son in Princeton after debarkation off the cruise.  What's the best choice, taxi, Uber/Lyft or private arranged car?
Is there a taxi station outside the cruise terminal or where to wait for Uber pickup? Any private car company you'd recommend?

One more question, the New York yellow cab charges fixed rate from JFK to Manhattan. Does it include  New York City Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan?

Thanks for the help.

TTC

Don't take a NY City taxi from Manhattan to Princeton . They don't have to take you to NJ, other than to EWR, and even if you could find a driver that agreed to do so they can charge you as much as they think they can get you to agree to, which is a sure recipe for getting ripped off.

I'd recommend a car service or Uber/Lyft. For a trip to Princeton ( I live not far from there) I don't recommend the usual car services that you see posters, including myself,  recommending here on a daily basis, Carmel Limo and DIal 7 . The reason I don't recommend them for this particular trip is that Princeton is outside their normal service area, so you will end paying for them to deadhead the car back to the NY City area as there's almost no chance of their having a return fare.

The car service I use and recommend for going between the Princeton area, or elsewhere in central NJ,  and Manhattan is Concorde Worldwide. Their phone is (732) 577-0023 . This is not a bargain car service so you will pay a substantial fare, but I've used them for many years and have generally found their service to be well worth the money. Just be sure you give them an accurate head and luggage count to ensure you get the right sized vehicle. You're not going to to fit in a sedan.

You could also try Uber or Lyft if you're comfortable with them. It may be a couple of dollars less than Concorde.

There is a taxi stand on 12th Ave across the street from the cruise terminal, but you can only wait for a taxi there, not Uber or car service. You'll have to find a spot up the block or around the corner from the taxi stand.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal (it hasn't been called the New York City Passenger Ship Terminal for years although there may still be some signs that use the old name) is in Manhattan, so yes, it's covered under the fixed taxi fare from JFK or to JFK.

Edited by njhorseman

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Could easily be closer to $250 to Princeton all in. It's not traffic dependent. They'll quote a flat fare that won't change due to more or less traffic.

I figured the quote would be different based on the estimated time, like Sunday morning vs. Monday morning, but I’m used to Uber. It costs about $45 to take a car service 10 miles from my house the EWR, but uber ranges from $18 - $45. Princeton is a drive.

22 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I figured the quote would be different based on the estimated time, like Sunday morning vs. Monday morning, but I’m used to Uber. It costs about $45 to take a car service 10 miles from my house the EWR, but uber ranges from $18 - $45. Princeton is a drive.

I've never been quoted a fare that differs by day of the week by my car service. The only time-related surcharge they impose is for an off hour pick up...maybe between midnight and 5 am or thereabouts. I'm very close to Princeton, so I have a pretty good idea of about what it costs...$200-$250 depending on the car service.

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, njhorseman said:

I've never been quoted a fare that differs by day of the week by my car service. The only time-related surcharge they impose is for an off hour pick up...maybe between midnight and 5 am or thereabouts. I'm very close to Princeton, so I have a pretty good idea of about what it costs...$200-$250 depending on the car service.

The car service I use operates exactly the same way. There is an extra charge for pick up prior to 5 am and there is no extra charge for whatever day of the week that service is required. 

I’m not too certain that you’ll find an Uber or Lyft that wants to take you all the way to Princeton. You might have to wait awhile. You can always take an Express Bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal, short cab ride from Cruise port to Princeton. 

On 10/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, yurey5ph said:

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

TTC

If you can handle your luggage, your easiest option is to take a taxi to Penn Station. Take the NJ Transit Train to Princeton Junction. Take an Uber from Princeton Jct  to wherever you want to go or have your son pick you up at the station.

Another option is to take a cab to Port Authority Bus Terminal. Take the Coach USA Bus that will drop you right outside Princeton University. Get an Uber or have son pick you up from there.

I have used the train option hundreds of times with and without luggage.

Edited by Arzeena

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

If you can handle your luggage, your easiest option is to take a taxi to Penn Station. Take the NJ Transit Train to Princeton Junction. Take an Uber from Princeton Jct  to wherever you want to go or have your son pick you up at the station.

Another option is to take a cab to Port Authority Bus Terminal. Take the Coach USA Bus that will drop you right outside Princeton University. Get an Uber or have son pick you up from there.

Another vote for considering the train or bus option.  New York Penn Station has red caps.  The bus has undercarriage luggage storage.  I also have used both options a lot since I grew up in Princeton and my folks lived in the area for over 50 years.

Edited by 138east
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arzeena said:

23 hours ago, 138east said:

Another vote for considering the train or bus option.  New York Penn Station has red caps.  The bus has undercarriage luggage storage.  I also have used both options a lot since I grew up in Princeton and my folks lived in the area for over 50 years.

👍

Edited by Arzeena