What to do: Livorno/Pisa/Florence on a Monday May 4, 2020

rockjock75

We will docked on Oceania Riviera at Livorno, Italy from 8 am to 8 pm. I notice several key museums in Florence are closed on Mondays ( Uffizi and Accademia ). What would you suggest doing with our time? Still go to Florence or head to Pisa?

We do not mind using private tours that we can sign up on Trip Advisor.

I welcome your thoughts and comments on specific tours.

Thank you in advance.

Florence is still a beautiful city.  Pisa probably isn't worth the full day.  We did both in one day with Simona, whose husband owns the business, Tuscany for Cruiser via Sandro Botticelli.  Actually, it was booked thru Romeinlimo and they gave it to them.

She was exceptional.  Went to Pisa in the morning and suggested a little coffee shop there.  We were able to go to the museums, as it was a Wednesday (and the Uffizi was exhausting).  Had lunch near the Uffizi at Mammamia pizzeria, www.mammamiafirenze.it.  Very cool place... not too many tourists.  There's a gelato place halfway between the pizzeria and the Uffizi that is to kill for. 

We went to Pisa for an hour and then drove to nearby Lucca. You can rent bikes there and go on top of the city surrounding 16th Century walls (or just walk them), walk around the old town center, and visit Puccini’s home. Excellent stop for an al fresco lunch.

Florence has so much to see, the Duomo and the bell tower, the Baptistery, the Basilica of Santa Croce where Michelangelo and many other crypts can be viewed, Piazza Della Signoria, Ponte Vecchio, the Mercanto Cenrtale, and much more.  Take time for an espresso or a gelato.  Florence can not be seen and enjoyed in one day, you really need 3 or more days to take it in and include Acedemia and Uffizi, just don’t miss your chance to see a bit if the birth of the Renaissance.

A few years ago, we docked in Livorno, and I took a train to Lucca, walked around the city on my own, then took a bus to Pisa, did a few things at Pisa (didn't have time to go up the tower with our schedule), and took the train from Pisa back to Livorno.  As I recall, took a cab to and from the Livorno train station.  Much cheaper than an excursion and met some wonderful Italians on the train.

• Like 1

Time is the most valuable commodity when docked in Livorno. We booked a private driver for the day. Picked us up at the ship 8:00 am, went straight to Pisa, got tickets for the tower and climbed. No crowds as the buses where not there yet. A brief stroll through the local market and then on to Florence. Did a walk around, though no museums. Then gelato at Vivoli's. We were then taken to a winery for a brief tour, tasting and a bite to eat. Then back to the ship. Was it some what of a whirlwind? Yes, but we like it that way. 

We have been to Florence several times. Hands down I would go there again. It is my favorite big city. Since the Accademia is closed,  I would go to the Duomo and walk around that area. In fact, my relative Pope Cossa Baldessarre, John XXIII (1410–1415) is buried there. There are several nice places to eat as well. If you are a carnivore, and can tolerate steak that early, you must try the Florentine steak. You won't be disappointed.

We have been to Pisa twice and I would skip that unless you really need to see it.

Our most recent time there we took an Oceana shore excursion, "Hills of Lucca & Wine Tasting". It was a surprisingly nice tour. The wine tasting was a real highlight. We sat out in the countryside with several bottles to taste and lovely snacks. Just keep in mind that the shops in Lucca do not open till 10am. We booked the early trip and a lot was closed. 

Hope this helps!

We will be docking at Livorno for our upcoming cruise on O.  We have never been to Florence or Italy.  We have a lot of friends who have been to both Florence and Pisa.  They all say that Florence is not to be missed and that Pisa is to be missed.  They all say that Florence is a must see and to spend our time there, regardless of whether the museums you mention are closed.

There are some ships tours and private tours that you can take to Florence.  Good luck! 

Florence is a lovely city even if the museums are closed. There is an express train from Livorno if you wish to take the train. Just make sure it is not a holiday since the trains runs on a different schedule. Our first trip we took a "Florence on your Own" tour from Oceania that left us off at Santa Croce and of course a leather shop. Not worth the money. The second time we took the train to Pisa and then Lucca which is very nice. 

There are several webpages dedicated to what to do on a Monday in Florence: highlights include the Medici Chapel, the San Marco Museum etc...

Pisa is certainly a possibility, but if you intend to climb the Leaning Tower book well, well in advance.

I would disagree with those who say that Pisa can be missed.  We enjoyed our time there.

That being said, Pisa was a 2 hour visit for us (while others in our group climbed the tower we toured the Cathedral) and Florence is a 3-4 day visit, even without the museums being open.

We chose not to go back to Florence, even using O's bus transfer, because the time to get there and back was close to the amount of time we'd have there ... and we'd spent several days in Florence the year before.  So we did (as I said earlier) Pisa and Lucca.

If you've never seen Florence, and think you might not have another opportunity, then by all means opt for Florence on your port day.

Mura