San Diego and Ensenada on our own?

We will be on Princess and it has a stop in San Diego and also Ensenada towards the end of January.  Are these cities that we can easily get off the ship and walk around?  Or is nothing close to where the ship pulls in?  

Thanks!

Edited by gkrnjlr

San Diego is very easy to do on your own-- you dock right downtown. USS Midway, downtown attractions all within walking distance. You can take an Uber over to Coronado if you want to see the beach. 

Ensenada is a stop of convenience to make sure the cruise routing adheres to the Jones Act. There are things to see and do but it's not a knock your socks off stop and not a particularly picturesque town. Most of the excursions most cruise lines do here are outside of town. 

• Like 1

In San Diego, you don't have to limit yourself to just the waterfront/downtown area. You can easily get to Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo by public transit - 20 -25 minutes by bus takes you practically to the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego is a great city on your own. The Midway Museum, Gas Lamp District and Coronado along with Balboa Park are great. Also , you take the Trolley to Old Town and other areas. A fairly new attraction in the Liberty Market, lots of shops restaurants, etc. Not close to dowtown, but Uber or Lyft can get you there.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, boom_boom said:

San Diego is a great city on your own. The Midway Museum, Gas Lamp District and Coronado along with Balboa Park are great. Also , you take the Trolley to Old Town and other areas. A fairly new attraction in the Liberty Market, lots of shops restaurants, etc. Not close to dowtown, but Uber or Lyft can get you there.

I'm guessing that "by trolley" you mean light rail? Those not familiar with San Diego may think you mean an actual Trolley.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:58 AM, CruiseVA said:

I meant like the Trolley's in San Francisco. Nevermind...

Those would be Cable Cars as they are pulled by underground cables.  There are buses powered by overhead electric lines if that qualifies as a trolley?  Same with San Diego.  I just call the San Diego version the "Red Train" but that's just me.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 6:48 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Those would be Cable Cars as they are pulled by underground cables.  There are buses powered by overhead electric lines if that qualifies as a trolley?  Same with San Diego.  I just call the San Diego version the "Red Train" but that's just me.   

San Francisco does have Trolleys as well. The Embarcadero bus line uses historic international trolleys.

I wouldn’t recommend walking around Ensenada. We got off the boat this past week in with the plan to check out the area. Right outside the terminal there are buses to take you to “down town”. It takes you about a mile down the road, costs 4$ roundtrip.

The bus takes you to an area behind a building where they sell their own excursions. You can venture out without purchasing an excursion but once you do you were pretty much hassled to buy things by all be locals. We walked down the street we were offered drugs, guns and other “things”. We grabbed a margarita and went back to the bus. 

others in our party did  buy an excursion from behind this building and were put on a bus to see the blow hole, 20$ per person. They said the ride there was rough and they felt unsafe with the road conditions and other drivers. 

Any public transit to San Diego Safari Park or do I just uber? I have a 5yo & 14yo so the ship excursion is really expensive. Tickets are $164, tour is 3× that

Edited by Ombud

We went to lax a few days in advance and drive to San Diego. Did the children’s beach to see the seals and had a bbq lunch in La Jolla. We had a rental van from lax vans. Price was good. We dropped the party off at the terminal and went to return the van, they gave us a free ride back to the port. 

• Like 1

In Ensenada don't forget Massage & Facial Care

López Mateos 743, Zona Centro, 22800 Ensenada,

I've been going there for many many years and they are the best.

Owner is American, all the girls that work there were trained by him.

Prices can't be beat.  Just 1 block from where they drop you off (across from Mc Donalds)

Look them up and make an appointment by email.