Eurodam view while dining

mawvkysc

We will be leaving Seattle at 4:00 heading to Juneau on Eurodam . It seems the scenery will be really nice leaving Seattle and we won’t  hit open water until later that night.  We like to eat in the MDR ( family of 6, anytime dining) plus we have one night to eat at PG. Would one offer better views than the other? I hate to miss too much of the scenery as the next day I think will be mostly open water. Thanks

8 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

I think anything goes on the first night. Anytime dining? ..catch your views and go to dinner. .. early morning you will be in the passage...i wish i were doing this for the first time again.. wishing you the best ...relish it. have a blast...

Thanks. I was under the impression we wouldn’t see much scenery on the sea day. 

You could eat in the Lido the first night as there will be a much greater chance of getting a good window table there than in either the MDR or PG.

Our very first HAL cruise was out of Seattle 17 years ago so I don't remember many details, but I do recall not  seeing much scenery that first day, partly because it was very foggy most of the day.

Edited by catl331

In port and leaving port look to the Southeast to see Mt Rainer.  As you start sailing North the Olympic mountains and sunset can be seen to the west.  The weather is partly cloudy today with clearing late afternoon..  sounds like good view weather.

Sailing from Seattle:  GET OUT ON DECK!  For as long as you are able.  As an alternative, find seats in the Crow's Nest.  For me, the sightseeing is more important than the dining.  Having dinner later than earlier is what I would recommend.

As for your first day at sea, if you are West of Vancouver Island, sightseeing will be limited to non-existent as to shore views.  East of Vancouver Island, there will be shore views available as the weather allows.

11 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

In port and leaving port look to the Southeast to see Mt Rainer.  As you start sailing North the Olympic mountains and sunset can be seen to the west.  The weather is partly cloudy today with clearing late afternoon..  sounds like good view weather.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Sailing from Seattle:  GET OUT ON DECK!  For as long as you are able.  As an alternative, find seats in the Crow's Nest.  For me, the sightseeing is more important than the dining.  Having dinner later than earlier is what I would recommend.

As for your first day at sea, if you are West of Vancouver Island, sightseeing will be limited to non-existent as to shore views.  East of Vancouver Island, there will be shore views available as the weather allows.

Thanks so much for the info! I’ll try and steer us to have lunch in the MDR so maybe they will agree to a non MDR evening meal. We’ve never  had Lido dinner before. 

17 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

Thanks so much for the info! I’ll try and steer us to have lunch in the MDR so maybe they will agree to a non MDR evening meal. We’ve never  had Lido dinner before. 

Be aware on Embarkation Day, if the MDR is open for Lunch, the hours are very limited, usually 12:00/12:30 to1:00/1:30.  

2 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

Pay attention to the times of sunrise and sunset. It will be getting dark by 6:30 p.m. in Juneau.

OP said :

On 10/4/2019 at 6:01 PM, mawvkysc said:

We will be leaving Seattle at 4:00 heading to Juneau

but s/he didn't say what month that it would be. If next June, sunset will be almost 10:00 pm  😄

18 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

Pay attention to the times of sunrise and sunset. It will be getting dark by 6:30 p.m. in Juneau.

I just checked:  the next time the Eurodam will be leaving Seattle heading for Juneau will be May 2.  Sunset will be at 20:25 in Seattle.

5 hours ago, oceanmom said:

Our tradition is first night dining in the Canaletto. The menu might not appeal to you, but we enjoy the table service and the big windows--no MDR chaos and no cafeteria Lido experience for that first dinner on the cruise ship.

For any early dinner, this is not a bad idea.  Canaletto does offer a good dining experience usually.