West Coast Cruise

12 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

the Grant building isn't the Yotel - Yotel is a darker brick building, not a white one.    The SRO in the newspaper article is 1/3 of a mile away from the location of the Motel.   Plus, I thought Market was the 'dividing line' between The Tenderloin and SOMA...

When I did a paper for my Social Geography class back in college, I did it on the difference of neighborhoods within a 1/2 mile area of downtown Los Angeles.  One block would be SROs and homeless, 2 blocks over was courts and businesses, 3 blocks over the flower mart and such.   

This is exactly why I did not want to get involved in the conversation.  More people with out of date and incorrect information.

The Yotel is in the Grant Building.  The picture is of one side of the building.  The Market Street and 7th Street sides are of a nice brown brick.

Using Google Earth, you can stand in front of the Yotel and look over to Jones Street, it is approximately 300 feet (as the crow flies) to the spot of the murder.

Yes, Market Street is the dividing line, but it is not a barrier, and not a totally different world.

If you want to go to Union Square, the cable cars, and the usual touristy things, you have to walk right through the Tenderloin.

It is not the end of the world, the price is right (the least expensive hotel on Trip Advisor), and you are walking distance from Union Square and so on.   But a dangerous walk, even in daylight, especially as a solo traveler.

But again, I like what clo said, " because what we're comfortable doing isn't the norm".  This neighborhood isn't for everybody.

I stand by my original statement, I don't recommend this neighborhood.

I'm outta this conversation.

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

This is exactly why I did not want to get involved in the conversation.  More people with out of date and incorrect information.

The Yotel is in the Grant Building.  The picture is of one side of the building.  The Market Street and 7th Street sides are of a nice brown brick.

Using Google Earth, you can stand in front of the Yotel and look over to Jones Street, it is approximately 300 feet (as the crow flies) to the spot of the murder.

Yes, Market Street is the dividing line, but it is not a barrier, and not a totally different world.

If you want to go to Union Square, the cable cars, and the usual touristy things, you have to walk right through the Tenderloin.

It is not the end of the world, the price is right (the least expensive hotel on Trip Advisor), and you are walking distance from Union Square and so on.   But a dangerous walk, even in daylight, especially as a solo traveler.

But again, I like what clo said, " because what we're comfortable doing isn't the norm".  This neighborhood isn't for everybody.

I stand by my original statement, I don't recommend this neighborhood.

I'm outta this conversation.

Valuable information.  Thx. 

My experience is very dated.  So while I was still skeptical, I didn't want to push it.   

2 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

No, it's not a barrier but it's quite a difference from the streets around it. But, again, what we consider totally fine may not be at all to others.  But, hey, we take our lives in our hands by drinking tap water all over the world 🙂  Again, thanks for contributing good info here.

• Like 1

I was held up at gunpoint just outside a Mexican restaurant here in town 10 years ago.  Does that make my neighborhood dangerous still?

I was actually looking at the Proper Hotel ($500 night) by mistake - the Yotel is across the street...

39 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I was held up at gunpoint just outside a Mexican restaurant here in town 10 years ago.  Does that make my neighborhood dangerous still?

I was actually looking at the Proper Hotel ($500 night) by mistake - the Yotel is across the street...

You know that you and I agree.  But if people are afraid then they should pay (a lot) more and feel safe.

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If an isolated incident not sure it would make it dangerous then much less now.  Anyway, I freely admit my experiences with the 7th & market area are pretty old.  I defer to the feedback from a current SF resident.