Greenland

SandyR5

I have visited Greenland on three HAL cruises.  The ports are as "natural/native" as they could possibly be.  No Diamonds International type businesses, but local cultural opportunities may be available either through the ship's Shore Excursion Office or once on shore by the local citizens.

Most memorable and done twice was a cultural performance performed by some of the adults and the youth of the community we visited.  Coffee and cake was served.  There was time to interact with the folks.  The most tourist populated spot was the small store that sold postcards and stamps along with a small assortment of touristy items as well as some expensive sweaters, etc.  Walking through the local grocery store in one community was interesting as well.

If the ship sails through Prinz Christian Sund, that is something not to miss during the transit.  The geology, the beauty, the remoteness of the village that we passed:  memorable.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 4

Thanks for your reply. I’ve had enough of Diamonds International etc.  That’s why we’re going to Greenland. ☺️  Did you stop in Nuuk?  There are several opportunities for private boating excursions. They all look wonderful.  

On a Princess cruise, I went to Qaqortaq for a day and spent a day cruising the fjords in that area...FANTASTIC!! I would like to go back.

rkacruiser described many of the activities I did (same port?), as well as looking at all the rock carvings that are in the town. The people were very friendly but things were expensive because they had to import everything. It was chilly and I needed a pair of gloves...only one pair left in town (simple knit ones, like from Wallyworld)...cost $40!!!🥺

Sailing the fjords was incredible!! Tons of HUGE icebergs right near the ship...way more than in Alaska. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

You’re both great with your replies. (I hope you won’t hold it against me that my grandson is a senior at U.Mich!).  Did you cruise the fiords and see the icebergs from the ship or from a private or a ship excursion?  In Nuuk I see a company called Nuuk water taxi which has lots of choices and if I find 4 others on my roll call to join us, they’re not expensive.  We love just getting off the ship, exploring and meeting people, but we do want to get in a boat at some point and get to places Princess can’t. 

Edited by SandyR5

We just got back from Greenland on a Princess cruise, Caribbean Princess (I do NOT recommend going on this ship it is extremely crowded), but I do recommend Greenland.  Read all the reviews and decide for yourself.  I would do it again in a heart beat, but I would probably pick another ship if possible.  

The ports are small ports and some passengers complained about lack of infrastructure .  We loved every port and did our own thing at each one.

Nanortalik: Tender port.  Small, small village of ~1000.  We hiked all over the the town, and out onto mountain with amazing views. We hiked for 3 hours and never saw another person, just wonderful views. There was also a small outdoor museum.  I loved it here.  Everyone was very welcoming.

Qaqortoq: Tender port.  Another small village of ~4000.  We hiked up to the big antenna, back down into town.  We saw all the cravings(I think there are 40).  We really enjoyed this port.  There were some shops, a few places to eat and even a bowling alley.  It was a beautiful day and the people were all very, very nice. 

Nuuk: Docked.  This was the biggest town we visited, ~19,000.  We first hiked away from all the people and it was lovely to be all alone near the coast.  The town is poor in some areas.  There is a museum, lots of public art and even a university.  There is a bus system and a mall.  Lots of stores and places to eat.  This was our least favorite due to all the poverty, but we still enjoyed our time here.  I think there are many options in this town for tours. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

Thank you. We’ll be following your lead in the first 2 ports. Might just book with Nuuk River taxi for a 6 passenger fiord tour there.  Unfortunately we ARE on Caribbean Princess. Choices are limited if you want to visit Greenland. Oceania was more than double the price. At least we won’t have to fight the lounge chair hogs on this trip. 😱

2 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Thank you. We’ll be following your lead in the first 2 ports. Might just book with Nuuk River taxi for a 6 passenger fiord tour there.  Unfortunately we ARE on Caribbean Princess. Choices are limited if you want to visit Greenland. Oceania was more than double the price. At least we won’t have to fight the lounge chair hogs on this trip. 😱

True, there were always places to sit outside.  We really had great weather but it was still too cold to sit outside for long periods of time on most days.  But, honestly, there were always someone laying out!!!  They are brave.

You will have fun, just be prepared for the crowds.  If you have a balcony or a suite you can escape sometimes.  We had an interior and still spent more time in the cabin on this cruise than we ever have, even on a 42 day cruise!! We only booked about a month out when the price dropped so much and there wasn't a choice really.  But, if you have a good attitude it is okay, but it dampens the total experience a bit.  

But seeing and visiting Greenland was on our bucket list, so it was worth it.  Especially since it is still authentic and doesn't have all those shops and things that take away from the true spirit. 

I agree about Oceania, too expensive.  But, I think there is a Holland America cruise that goes to Greenland around that time.  Either way, have a great time!!

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If the ship sails through Prinz Christian Sund, that is something not to miss during the transit.  The geology, the beauty, the remoteness of the village that we passed:  memorable.

If you can sail thru Prins Christian Sund take the cruise I did this years ago on a Grand Princess TA and it is one of the most spectacul;ar places I've visited.  (and I have almost 90 cruises) Only port we had was Qaqortoq but a very nice unspoiled little town

Edited by DougH

We, too, were just on the CB cruise from August and absolutely loved the unspoiled uniqueness of the Greenland ports.  We were able to line up private tours in each of the ports, two were to the ice cap (wow!) and Nuuk was to Qoornoq Island.  Saw tons of icebergs and unforgettable scenery on each.  The tours were in the morning so we still had plenty of time to wander around each town afterwards.  I also hiked all over Qaqortoq and up the hill to the big antenna - the view was spectacular!  My advice is to get in contact with the tour operators early; there aren't many of them and they will fill up fast, if they haven't already.  Get on the roll call for your cruise; your fellow passengers are lining up tours already (I'm making the assumption that you are considering next August.)

I wasn't bothered by the ship itself as much as others were.  As a cruise there were some shortfalls, but for the most part we overlooked them and just were happy to be able to sail out of NYC instead of figuring out the logistics of flying or getting there some other way.  Ours was the first time Princess did that itinerary out of New York, and hopefully they will tweak a few things for next year.  The most puzzling thing for me was that more than a few fellow passengers didn't really seem to understand what going to Greenland meant...for example, some didn't bring warm clothes, and others complained that the towns didn't "have much to do" or "have much shopping."  Made me wonder exactly why they booked that itinerary.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Level six said:

True, there were always places to sit outside.  We really had great weather but it was still too cold to sit outside for long periods of time on most days.  But, honestly, there were always someone laying out!!!  They are brave.

You will have fun, just be prepared for the crowds.  If you have a balcony or a suite you can escape sometimes.  We had an interior and still spent more time in the cabin on this cruise than we ever have, even on a 42 day cruise!! We only booked about a month out when the price dropped so much and there wasn't a choice really.  But, if you have a good attitude it is okay, but it dampens the total experience a bit.  

But seeing and visiting Greenland was on our bucket list, so it was worth it.  Especially since it is still authentic and doesn't have all those shops and things that take away from the true spirit. 

I agree about Oceania, too expensive.  But, I think there is a Holland America cruise that goes to Greenland around that time.  Either way, have a great time!!

We’re good. We have a balcony and we usually sit out, read and enjoy the views. We’ve never done HAL. We stick to Celebrity, but they haven’t started an itinerary that includes Greenland. 

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

We, too, were just on the CB cruise from August and absolutely loved the unspoiled uniqueness of the Greenland ports.  We were able to line up private tours in each of the ports, two were to the ice cap (wow!) and Nuuk was to Qoornoq Island.  Saw tons of icebergs and unforgettable scenery on each.  The tours were in the morning so we still had plenty of time to wander around each town afterwards.  I also hiked all over Qaqortoq and up the hill to the big antenna - the view was spectacular!  My advice is to get in contact with the tour operators early; there aren't many of them and they will fill up fast, if they haven't already.  Get on the roll call for your cruise; your fellow passengers are lining up tours already (I'm making the assumption that you are considering next August.)

I wasn't bothered by the ship itself as much as others were.  As a cruise there were some shortfalls, but for the most part we overlooked them and just were happy to be able to sail out of NYC instead of figuring out the logistics of flying or getting there some other way.  Ours was the first time Princess did that itinerary out of New York, and hopefully they will tweak a few things for next year.  The most puzzling thing for me was that more than a few fellow passengers didn't really seem to understand what going to Greenland meant...for example, some didn't bring warm clothes, and others complained that the towns didn't "have much to do" or "have much shopping."  Made me wonder exactly why they booked that itinerary.

That’s hysterical!  Shopping!  I live in NYC. You want diamonds, go to 46th St which is the Diamond District!  I am on our roll call already but needed to hear from others who already went. 😉

Yes the Caribbean Princess was crowded, and because of the unique itinerary there were lots and lots of "Elite" passengers.  Did I mention there were a lot of Elite passengers, or at least they thought they were, and some were quite indigent when they had to wait, but we chose to just ignore those folks.  We connected with a great group at our Meet & Greet and had a WONDERFUL time.

Good luck booking independent tours, Princess bought out a lot of local boats for their tours causing a shortage, but it can be done.  Most of the "official" tours ended up being sold out, so if you are interested don't procrastinate.  One member of group was able sign up for an ice cap tour from the local information tourist center when she got onshore; she got the last seat.  I heard of another group that approached a local fisherman and got him to take them out to see the icebergs. Another couple we met had arranged for a helicopter tour to the ice cap and said it was incredible. 

You will not make it to the Arctic Circle on this trip but do make it to the most northern capital in the world, Nuuk. And the icebergs were epic!! Our boat Captain pulled along side to chip of some pieces for us to share.  Unfortunately none of them survived the trip home to Alabama. ☹️

image.thumb.png.9db8ce116349b3757c7cbdf83434ff92.png

Qaqortoq is a town of just over 3000 in population and a ship with ~3000 passengers, it was “Every Resident Gets a Tourist Day”. We toured almost the entire city from the Old City Center, the Fish Market, two churches, the local museum (where Charles Lindbergh once stayed), the grocery store, the bank/post office, the fur factory, and loads of brightly colored houses.We met so many wonderful people in Qaqortoq. We met a young man in the seventh grade that just wanted to chat and his English was impeccable. And then we met Mike on his way home for lunch and chatted about the town and the amount of tourists in town.

The last stop in Greenland was Nanortalik, a tiny fishing village in southern Greenland with a population of just over 1300 residents. In about 5 hours, we toured the town and visited the most wonderful outdoor museum. Don't forget to take some cash with you, I think it was about $5 pp. The residents have done an amazing job preserving their culture and it was such a treat to step foot in this treasure of a town. The townsfolk were so kind and welcoming, though I am sure they were ready for us to weigh anchor. We were excited to meet some of the school children picking up debris to use for their craft projects. Our daughter had some NOAA stickers on hand and they were excited, though not as excited when our new friend Gail gave them little chocolates from Princess.

We just walked the last two towns, taking in the sights and talking with the people.  You will have a great time and it was so nice not to be accosted by the helpful sales people from Diamonds or Tanzanite International.

• Like 1

What a great reply!  You gave us a great idea with the chocolates. We usually tell our stateroom steward not to give us them but we will collect and bring to town.  It really sounds like a delightful experience. What did you do at the Canadian ports?  

46 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

What a great reply!  You gave us a great idea with the chocolates. We usually tell our stateroom steward not to give us them but we will collect and bring to town.  It really sounds like a delightful experience. What did you do at the Canadian ports?  

EEK!  Being a dental professional for over 30 years and seeing the massive amount of decay in Greenland....... It is massive!  I would not suggest giving any kind of candy to any local resident.  Most of the people I talked to, and I talked to many, had horrible, horrible cavities visible throughout their mouth and most had several missing teeth.  It is a very serious problem in the places we visited.  Most of the young kids and teens had 5-6 cavities on their FRONT teeth, heaven only knows how their back teeth looked. 

I don't know what the dental care is like there, but I know that several people are in pain, that is for sure, with very large decay that is probably already invading the dental canal.  Plus, several people die every year from dental infection, even in the USA.  This is usually due to a tooth that is infected due to decay which leads to needing a root canal, if it is not treated or extracted, the infection can spread and cause death.

While it seems like a nice and friendly gesture to give out sweets in such places (South America, India, etc) it is really not very helpful and should be frowned upon.   

I am not judging anyone for anything they do, but it was the very first thing I noticed when we arrived to Greenland, especially in the smaller ports.  I am almost positive that if there is any dentist at all in Nanortalik, it is a dentist that visits maybe once a month, or less.  Throw the candy away!!

• Like 1

We visited Greenland back in early Sept. of 2009 and 2010 as part of WB TAs.  Were supposed to visit Nanortalik in 2009, but there was a very large iceberg sitting at the usual anchorage site.  It was very photogenic!!  Instead, the capt. took us up a nearby fjord, which was gorgeous.  There's a mine at the north end so we did see another vessel or two.  In 2010 we visited Qaqortoq; it was a bright, sunny day and I enjoyed walking around town and enjoying the colorful houses and the views of the mountains.  We stopped at Nuuk in both years.  It was snowing in Nuuk in 2009!  Some of us CCers were birders and we walked out into the countryside.  Didn't see a lot of birds, but did see a snow bunting, which is only found in the Arctic.  The weather was better in 2010.  There wasn't the tourism infrastructure that there is today.  BTW, we knew it would be cold up there, so many of us had appropriate cold weather clothes.  It was more pleasant in Qaqortoq in 2010, so didn't need to bundle up.

Edited by BarbinMich

We were in Qaqortoq,  Nanortalik and cruised through Prins Christian Sund in August on the Pacific Princess.  All were memorable!  The Sund was one of the best days ever on a cruise ship.

Nanortalik:  We walked the town and as others have mentioned, there is no shopping but lots of local culture.  Take $5 for the outdoor museum.  Checkout the two supermarkets--no fresh meat.  Walk across town in the other direction to the cemetary-the view is amazing.  Check out the colorful homes-we saw fish drying outside of several.  We had a local whale watching tour booked but it was cancelled as the ship changed dates twice within two weeks of arrival and all of the flip flopping was too much for the tour company.

Qaqortoq:  Planned to walk around this town.  We saw the rock scultures throughout the town, the harbor, museum and don't miss the fish market.  All of the locals were hanging out at the fish market and there were lots of freshly caught fish.  We had a hot dog and fries at the best hot dog stand in Greenland-or so we were told-and ate with the locals.  Right off the pier and it was good.

Prins Christian Sund:  We had fog all morning and could not see past the railing on our balcony.  Then as we entered the Sund the clouds parted and we had an afternoon of clear blue skie and crisp sunny weather.  We spent the entire afternoon on the deck taking pictures and enjoyed talking with our fellow passengers.  About 2/3 of the way through the Sund there was a small village, Aappilattoq, of about 132 people.  Only accessible by boat the small colorful homes were amazing.

If you want a tour, book early and have a back up plan in case weather causes a cancellation.   There is plenty to see with or without a tour.  Enjoy your cruise!

DSC02600.JPG

DSC02611.JPG

DSC02806.JPG

DSC02807.JPG

DSC02330.JPG

DSC02003.JPG

DSC02043.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

DSC02091.JPG

DSC01896b.JPG

DSC02648b.JPG

• Like 2

We also had the amazing opportunity to be on this Greenland Adventure. Greenland and Canada did not disappoint at all. The ports of call were incredible in so many ways. Pack a great sense of adventure with you and enjoy every minute what you are seeing. 

Since coming home we have explored the idea of going back on our own. Our research has shown us just how costs would add up. So much so that Princess is a real bargain for exploring this part of the world. Not to be missed, it will change your life in so many wonderful ways.

Yes there were problems on the Caribbean Princess, but if Princess chooses to listen to the feedback, that can be changed.

In Greenland, we chose to do the exploring on our own and for us it was perfect. My biggest tip would be, in the small ports of call get on the early tenders if at all possible. Some people waited up to 2 and a half hours to get to shore.

So very worth seeing this part of the world. Enjoy the adventure.  

Edited by bobontheblue
grammar
  • Like 1

We are excited to be taking this cruise next year.  Just booked it today with our Princess agent.  MY DH is mobile but not for long piers like some in the Caribbean..he walks with a cane..for those of you who have been to Greenland, please let me know if the piers are a long walk..I can't tell from the pictures.  Thanks very much.

10 minutes ago, dinojude said:

We are excited to be taking this cruise next year.  Just booked it today with our Princess agent.  MY DH is mobile but not for long piers like some in the Caribbean..he walks with a cane..for those of you who have been to Greenland, please let me know if the piers are a long walk..I can't tell from the pictures.  Thanks very much.

There are really no piers to speak of.  If you arrange a tour, I suppose they will pick you up at the ship, right? 

In Halifax and Sydney and St John, you are right in town, but it still requires lots of walking to get anywhere, IMO.

IN Greenland, 2 of the 3 ports are tender ports.  The towns, especially Nanortalik, has a long walk into the town and the road is very bad, several people fell on that day. The ramp leading out of the tender was very, very steep.  I can walk 10 miles a day easlily, but the ramp almost made me tumble.  I am not sure if it will be the same, but do consider that.  It was very challenging for some older people or people with mobility issues. 

Nuuk, is right at the dock, but you would need to have a tour or a taxi to go anywhere really, it is just an industrial port from what I could tell.  Also, if you take the Princess bus into town, there is quite a long walk down the hill to reach the museum(well, quite a walk if you are using a cane probably)  We did not take the bus, but from what I could see they were dropping people off on top of the hill.

Qarqortoq, you are pretty much dropped off right in town and it is about 2 blocks to the town square(just a fountain), but that would be the only place to go without having to walk uphill.

If I were you I would definitely arrange tours so that you are not having to walk so much, but I am not sure what tours did not involve a certain amount of walking.  That would be the only option IMO. 

Have fun.   If you can get up to see sail in.  There were lots of icebergs and some wild life, plus seeing the sunrise every morning was awesome.  

I was also on the Caribbean Princess in Aug/Sept this year.   CP is almost identical to other PCL ships (Star, Sapphire, Emerald, etc.)  It didn't seem crowded to me -- just the normal congestion of 2600 people.  Of course, it was rather cool/cold, foggy & windy on most of the sea day so people tended to stay inside more.  That may have made folks feel crowded.  We had fabulous weather in all the ports -- cool & sunny.

I use a scooter (on board & at Canadian ports) & a rollator/walker in the Greenland ports.  Yes, the "roads" in Qarqortoq & Nanortalik were difficult (gravel) to manage so I didn't see as much as other more mobile pax.  However, the ports were definitely worth my effort.

I took colorful pencils for the school-age children & distributed them as I went in the 2 smaller villages.  I gave them to a mom & grandma that I met in Nuuk.  Everyone seemed happy to get them.

Your cruise will be great!

I had a conversation with a crew member on the Rotterdam who had sailed in Antarctic waters and asked him if what we experienced as we sailed through Prinz Christian Sund compared to what he saw when he was in Antarctica.  His answer was: it's comparable.  Having being fortunate to have been able to sail on the Zaandam is Antarctic waters, I would agree with this assessment other than the lack of the wildlife, i.e.penguins, that I saw in Antarctica.  Greenland's ports offer a tremendously different cultural experience.

Both Greenland and Antarctica are unique sites to visit.  Both are different; both speak to me:  "Come back for another visit."

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, dinojude said:

There is a lot of walking on uneven surfaces.  There are no sidewalks and no taxi's.  The ships tours picked you up at the shuttle docks after you came over on the tender boat.