Complying with PVSA

retafcruiser

The following voyage violates the PVSA if routed as advertised. They are travelling from one US city (Seward) to another (San Diego).:

E4200926021 - SEWARD (Anchorage, Alaska) to SAN DIEGO (California)

• Departure: 26 Sep 2020
  • Duration: 21 Days
  • Ship: Silver Cloud

How are they going to get around this? I guess they could actually end the cruise in Ensinada. Anyone know what they plan? BTW - this is not intended to start a discussion about the PVSA. Just trust me, this itinerary violates the act.

1 hour ago, retafcruiser said:

The following voyage violates the PVSA if routed as advertised. They are travelling from one US city (Seward) to another (San Diego).:

E4200926021 - SEWARD (Anchorage, Alaska) to SAN DIEGO (California)

• Departure: 26 Sep 2020
  • Duration: 21 Days
  • Ship: Silver Cloud

How are they going to get around this? I guess they could actually end the cruise in Ensinada. Anyone know what they plan? BTW - this is not intended to start a discussion about the PVSA. Just trust me, this itinerary violates the act.

Two cruises, Seward to Vancouver and then Vancouver to San Diego, both listed on the website.

Hello everyone, I booked B2B cruises on the Whisper while on board the Spirit last February, NY to San Juan and San Juan to FLL; a few days ago Silversea informed my TA that I could not do the above since in violation of the Jones Act. It took Silversea about 8 months to notice this...in any event I will have to disembark in St. Martin which is 5 days before arriving FLL...or cancel altogether. Another great  performance from Silversea shore staff.

9 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Two cruises, Seward to Vancouver and then Vancouver to San Diego, both listed on the website.

Silver, that's what I initially thought too. But then I read further and I think that OP is correct. 

• Like 1

It is my understanding (having tried to do a similar itinerary in the past) that you can do Seward to Vancouver and Vancouver to San Diego by either changing ships in Vancouver (that's what I did) or, if on the same ship they must be truly two different cruises - i.e. you must disembark in Vancouver and be off the ship for 24 hrs, then re-embark and start a new cruise. I believe the 24hrs is crucial to qualify Vancouver as a non-US port of embarkation/disembarkation. One legal way of doing this cruise would be to disembark in Vancouver, then be transported somehow overland to Victoria, and re-embark there the next day, but what a faff.

One voyage on the same ship Seward to San Diego is definitely illegal. However, I was initially able to book my cruise and only later did the cruise line (not SS) come back and say I couldn't. So I expect SS hasn't noticed it yet.

PS I have also fallen afoul of the NYC - Caribbean - FLL problem and had to significantly alter my plans but at least the Cruise Consultant (I was booking onboard) picked it ip straightaway. There's probably a disconnect between the itinerary planners and bean counters, and the booking agents in the SS office.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, seawolf29 said:

Hello everyone, I booked B2B cruises on the Whisper while on board the Spirit last February, NY to San Juan and San Juan to FLL

Hi

I don't understand this at all but we are looking at b2b in 2021 Fort Lauderdale to San Juan then San Juan round trip, does this violate anything?

9 minutes ago, Qld13 said:

Hi

I don't understand this at all but we are looking at b2b in 2021 Fort Lauderdale to San Juan then San Juan round trip, does this violate anything?

Edited by d9704011

• 3 weeks later...

I have also fallen foul of the Jones Act/PVSA American protectionist legislation!  Isnt it about time that they came into the 21st century and rescinded this outdated law?

i am booked on Silver Whisper departing New York on November 1st and three cruises later arrive in FLL.  This was booked over 12 months ago & I was informed of the problem by SS in August.

A handful of Europeans have also been affected, and will embark Silver Whisper at the first port -Bermuda, two days later.

As I write this en route to NYC, I still do not have updated cruise tickets to enter the port in Hamilton.  This is despite repeated pressure at various levels within Silversea.

I did suggest to SS that the stay in San Juan overnight would have enabled those affected to disembark, stay in an hotel, then re-embark the next day, on the next cruise.  Instead, I lose two days of the cruise, and feel I am arriving at the party late, when everybody else has already settled in - & what is worse - Trivia teams will already be extant!!!  Of course the cost of this debacle to everyone is much greater than my suggestion of overnighting in San Juan off the ship!

Kindest Regards

Master Echo