Kids Pricing in Tamarind/Pinnacle Grill

Samanthac25

We are new to HAL but not new to cruising. We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam for Christmas this year. I am traveling with my daughter and in all the years we've cruised, we have never had dinner in a specialty restaurant. After reading all of the great reviews of Tamarind and the Pinnacle Grill, I am tempted to try them since it will be a special week for us (Christmas and my daughter's 14th birthday). I believe she will be too old to count as a "kid" for kid pricing with the regular menu, but can anyone tell me if it's worth trying these two restaurants with a teenager that can be somewhat picky?

She frequently orders off the kids menu, even in the MDR (at least she could do this with RCL), so the second part of my question is if she orders a off of the kids menu at Tamarind or Pinnacle Grill, will I be charged a kids price (even though she's not under 12) or will she still be charged as an adult?

The website mentions that if kids under 12 order from the regular menus, they are half price and if they order from the kids menu, they are free. I know she will not be free because of her age but if she orders from the kids menu, do they make any kind of reduction? I don't mind paying the extra fee to eat in the specialty restaurants, but I would hate to pay $39/$25 for my daughter to eat chicken fingers 🙂

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Samanthac25

I don’t think there is a true kids menu at the specialty restaurants. . .   I think it’s the regular kid menu or the adult menu.   Weigh in if I’m incorrect. . . Someone with more experience.  If you make reservations for X number of people for a given night before your cruise, you are charged the same amount for kids as adults.   Maybe onboard, they adjust?? 

1 hour ago, Samanthac25 said:

We are new to HAL but not new to cruising. We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam for Christmas this year. I am traveling with my daughter and in all the years we've cruised, we have never had dinner in a specialty restaurant. After reading all of the great reviews of Tamarind and the Pinnacle Grill, I am tempted to try them since it will be a special week for us (Christmas and my daughter's 14th birthday). I believe she will be too old to count as a "kid" for kid pricing with the regular menu, but can anyone tell me if it's worth trying these two restaurants with a teenager that can be somewhat picky?

Of course it really depends on the child.  My 12 1/2 year old grandson can outeat me for sure.  However, I do not think he woul like the Pinnacle due to the slowness of service and the menu items, but I am sure he would love the Pinnacle.

• Like 1

If she is a picky eater, Tamarind is probably the last restaurant on the ship for which you should make reservations.  Before making a reservation, look at a sample menu (available online).  Let her tell you if she sees any dish that she would like to sample.  These restaurants won't break the bank If someone goes and doesn't like the dish he/she orders, but it's truly a shame not to enjoy the dining experience.  

Pinnacle Grill is more like a steakhouse.  If she enjoys steak, pork chops, chicken, limited seafood items, she may like PG.  Again, the menu is available online.  

Both of these restaurants serve at a slow pace, part of the enjoyment for us adults, but for an active teen, it may be boring.  Make certain she understands dinner may take at least an hour and a half, longer if you book during an especially busy time.

Our son showed up late one evening at PG and announced that he didn't have much time because he was meeting his friends 45 minutes later.  When he popped up and left the restaurant before the main course had arrived, chefs flew out of that kitchen, asking how they had offended.  DH and I were appalled and tried to assure the staff that no one had done anything wrong.  In fact, my husband and I were thrilled to have the table to ourselves.  Obviously, we couldn't convince anyone at the PG that it was perfectly okay he left, since all of our dinners were comped.  

When my husband and I discovered those credits, we tried to stipulate that the Front Desk should add those charges back to our statement; however, they refused.  Not only that, but when my son returned to the cabin later that evening, a few minutes afterward, a waiter from the PG arrived with a tray, serving the meal (from appetizer to dessert) that our son missed.  Again, we were upset at DS but overwhelmed at HAL's attempt to please.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took my 9 & 12 year old last spring break to Pinnacle Grill.  I think it was a good experience for them.   My daughter loved her truffle soup.  My son did just fine too, can’t remember what he ordered.  They where a little taken back by the level of service provided, cloth napkins on lap etc..  From what I can recall though there wasn’t a different kids rate.  It was worth it.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Samanthac25 said:

The website mentions that if kids under 12 order from the regular menus, they are half price and if they order from the kids menu, they are free. I know she will not be free because of her age but if she orders from the kids menu, do they make any kind of reduction? I don't mind paying the extra fee to eat in the specialty restaurants, but I would hate to pay $39/$25 for my daughter to eat chicken fingers 🙂

I dont think that is on HALs website at all, i think that is miss information from a third party site. I know we paid full price for our daughter 

3 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I dont think that is on HALs website at all, i think that is miss information from a third party site. I know we paid full price for our daughter 

It’s definitely on the website. When you go into the manage your booking section where you can purchase specialty dining and click details on the restaurant you want to purchase, that’s where it’s listed. 

Specifically:

Pinnacle Grill is the center of all fine dining on board where great steak, seafood, wine and service make for an unforgettable experience. At our specialty restaurants, meals are half price for kids 12 years old or under, and free when you order from the kids’ menu” 

“Tamarind is one of Holland America Line’s most acclaimed restaurants, offering a flavor packed Asian menu which focuses on quality and variety. All complimented with a sweeping view of the ocean, warm service and signature cocktails curated by Dale Degroff. At our specialty restaurants, meals are half price for kids 12 years old or under, and free when you order from the kids’ menu.”

On the Noordam in July with our 10 year old grandson we had  dinner in the  Canaletto Italian specialty restaurant and he was 1/2 price and he ate twice what my DW and I did. BTW the food there was excellent and much better than prior HAL cruises. We decided not to try the PG as our grandson is not a big steak eater. He loved the MDR and all of the choices every night.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! I went over the sample menus with my kiddo and she agreed to be more adventurous and try "real" adult food in each restaurant! So we are going to book the dining package for each of us that includes PG, Tamarind, and Canaletto. I am excited to try all of them, since I travel alone with my daughter I rarely get to enjoy "grown up" dinners onboard 😜

1 hour ago, Samanthac25 said:

Thanks, everyone! I went over the sample menus with my kiddo and she agreed to be more adventurous and try "real" adult food in each restaurant! So we are going to book the dining package for each of us that includes PG, Tamarind, and Canaletto. I am excited to try all of them, since I travel alone with my daughter I rarely get to enjoy "grown up" dinners onboard 😜

That sounds like a great idea to sample them all.  Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

One last question, since we are on the topic of dinner - Is there any way to find out what the MDR menus are ahead of time , so we can plan which nights we make reservations at the specialty restaurants and which nights we spend in the MDR? 

9 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

One last question, since we are on the topic of dinner - Is there any way to find out what the MDR menus are ahead of time , so we can plan which nights we make reservations at the specialty restaurants and which nights we spend in the MDR? 

I have never experienced this, but on some "reoccuring" cruises we have seen where posters on the cruise (or just after) have posted copies of the menus.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Samanthac25 said:

You may not be able to find out until you board the ship.  Ask the Front Desk if they can supply you with the menus for the week.  Sometimes, they can't accommodate, but you'll never know unless you ask.

• Thanks 1