Voyager September 26th to October 8th

swansong

A review of Voyager September 26th to October 8th

I wasn’t going to post a review but certain things occurred which deserve a mention.
We stayed pre flight at the Sofitel Heathrow which we always do as it is a short walk to terminal 5 and has a great rate for parking if you have a room. ( it’s way cheaper that way than just to park). The hotel as usual was excellent in all respects.

The following day we managed the short walk to the terminal and had a smooth check in before spending time in the BA lounge which was better than most.

On boarding the plane to Athens we were told that there would be a delay as there was an electrical issue. This eventually was 45 minutes but to the pilot’s credit we were kept well informed. ( was this a first for BA?)

On arrival in Athens we were met and taken to the Athens Sofitel which was a walk away, fortunately we had a trolley. ( more later).

This hotel was not as swish as Heathrow but the food was excellent. We did not have to pay for this as it was a forced stay due to unavailability of plane seats the following day. We were told to assemble in the foyer at 12:15 the following day which we did.

There were twelve of us and 12:15 came and went with no bus or Regent representative. At 1:00 I telephoned the port agent asking why nothing was happening, they seemed surprised. After about 10 minutes a port agent arrived who didn’t have a clue as to what was happening and told us to follow him back to the terminal. Consequently we had to wheel three suitcases and two carryons a ten minute walk to the terminal with no trolley up and down kerbs. Amongst the group was a 90 year old who was really struggling.

At the terminal we waited another 15 minutes with no explanation and the told to follow the same agent out to a bus park, another ten minutes. We arrived to find a small van waiting which obviously couldn’t hold 12 people and luggage. So we waited in the hot sun for another 15 minutes, again with no explanation and eventually a small bus arrived and we got on, the luggage only just fitted in the hold.

Whilst we started with 12 of us we now only were 10 and a new agent appeared and said we would be leaving for Piraeus momentarily. It turned out that 2 had got lost in the process and ended up taking a taxi to Piraeus! The agent hadn’t noticed but neither had we. She, however, must have had a guest list.

We sat for another 15 minutes and eventually another group arrived and of course there wasn’t room for their luggage so some had to be lifted onto the bus. It was obvious then that we had been added to their bus having been forgotten about at the Sofitel. Eventually 3/12 hours after we should have been collected we arrived at the port.

Needless to say I wrote to the General Manager explaining all of the above, accepting that it was not his problem directly but wished it to be noted. I was disappointed that he didn’t pick up the phone to speak to me but got someone from Destination Services to apologise. To cut this long story short on the last night we had a letter to tell us that some on board credit had been added to our account, it was a good job it was refundable!

That out of the way we settled down to enjoy Voyager, as usual there were staff who remembered our drinks from previous times. The food and service throughout the cruise was up to standard. Unfortunately we couldn’t say the same about the Cruise Director and her team.

Compared to all others we have experienced over the years they were a disappointment and almost invisible. The social hostess was unsociable, didn’t want to talk and was not visible. Whilst this didn’t affect our enjoyment of the cruise it had an effect on the atmosphere on board which several others commented on. Cruise Directors do set the tone on board.

The singers and dancers were excellent but the entertainment on other nights with the exception of a comedian was poor in our opinion.

We became platinum on this cruise but turned down an invitation to have our pin presented publicly by the captain. Its not our style. Unfortunately we never received the pin not that it mattered to us as we wouldn’t have worn it but it might have to others.

I would like to mention a couple of excursions we took.

In Limassol we had booked a small group tour entitled ‘ Building Bridges’ which involved crossing from Greek Cyprus to Turkish Cyprus and meeting with a couple of journalists to understand the political situation better. As the ship was holding our passports I enquired at Destination Services if we required our passports which it was my understanding we did but was told no. When we got onto the bus to depart the first thing the guide asked was ‘ have you all got your passports?’ He explained that it was unlikely that we would be able to cross over which in spite of his efforts we couldn’t

We met up with the journalists in an hotel on the Greek side which was very interesting and informative.
We didn’t complain but received a 50% refund, so someone must have.

We had booked an overnight ‘Sacred sites of Israel’ tour in Ashdod. We had done a similar tour 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were six of us and our guide driver Avi. He was superb. On the first day we went to Masada, a fortress in the Judean desert. Hot it was!  It was well worth the visit. For lunch we went to an hotel alongside the Dead Sea which we hadn’t been to before. Again this was an experience. We didn’t swim but paddled. The others in the group did but struggled to get the salt out of their hair. The sea is losing about a metre a year and consequently is now supersaturated with salt.

It turned out that this was the Jewish New Year so every where was busy and we arrived in Jerusalem for the overnight stay at The Orient hotel which was excellent, we even got upgraded!  Because of the New Year we had to have dinner elsewhere after a tour around Jerusalem. The meal at the hotel we arrived at was poor.

After a great breakfast at The Orient we started on a walking tour of old Jerusalem which we had done before but our guide Avi was very informative. We then had lunch at an hotel, which was good before going to Bethlehem. As usual we had to change van and guide just beyond the border with Palestine. The queue to see the birthplace of Jesus in the Church of the Nativity was too long, fortunately we had been before but our guide took the cameras of the other couples and went in another way, good for him. We then returned to the ship in Haifa. 

We did other tours of course which were ok but nothing to note.

In spite of some issues it was another great Regent Cruise, there were issues but they were dealt with sympathetically. As mentioned, the food and service was up to standard and we are looking forward to our next one in February on Navigator. Just got to pay for it next week!

Sometime ago I posted about how to obtain the platinum tour discount when you are only gold when you book but platinum when you are on that cruise. There was no definitive response but I am happy to say that the cruise consultant sorted it out on board and credit was added to my account.

On a final( I promise) note, why does BA give a menu giving a choice of three main dishes and when they get to row 6 they have run out of two of them...it happens every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swansong it sounds like a dreadful pre cruise land transfer and start to your lovely cruise.

I am sure of this was some passengers first experience of a Regent cruise they may well have felt this would be enough to prevent them returning?
We have had excellent arrival service and also some very unsatisfactory arrivals too.

It does detract from the luxuary service as we know awaits onboard doesn’t it?
Glad to hear you had a good cruise , well done on achieving Platinum , we have a good bit to go before we get there . 
Thanks for posting,  Jean.

She was the CD on our Cape Town to Cape Town over the Holidays earlier this year. I can certainly agree with your statement regarding the CD influencing setting the tone of the cruise. Although she is a talented singer, she rarely engaged the guests. Just did what she had to do, and departed the scene. I wrote about it in the cruise review. 

Swansong

It appears that my wife and I were on the same flight from LHR as you - and we also had our usual pre flight stay in the excellent Sofitel at Terminal 5.

I feel for you as something like you experienced doesn't get your cruise off to a very good start. No help to you at all but we had an altogether different experience.

We - along with many other Regent guests, were accommodated in the (newly refurbished) Divani Caravel Hotel in Athens city centre. It was actually quite good for a one night stay and also enabled us to wander the city in the afternoon & evening and have a great wine tasting session in a wine bar & bite to eat. We had a few hours in the morning to go up a viewpoint before being picked up by the coach at just after midday. We were onboard and in our suite before 1pm !

The transfer from airport to hotel, together with the one the following day from hotel to ship, worked like clockwork.

Looks like you drew the short straw on this one which is of course very disappointing for you and not good enough. I too would be very frustrated in your position.

And yes - I said exactly the same as you about the cruise director who was largely anonymous/invisible throughout the cruise.  

Machotspur, thank you for your comments, I am glad your experience was great, ours has been mainly in the past. This was an aberration.I am glad that we share the same view of the cruise director, I am surprised that she is still employed when compared to all the others we have sailed with.

I forgot to mention in my review that we took the Tel Aviv and Jaffa tour and were left behind in Tel Aviv. The bus stopped alongside the beach in Tel Aviv and we were told to meet at a certain point at a certain time. We were there , as we always are, 5 minutes before and no one was there!

It turned out that everyone but us wanted a toilet break but the washrooms were shut so they went back on the bus and left, we went to look at the beach.

We were Just getting alarmed when we saw the guide running down the road shouting at us. She had discovered a quarter of a mile away she was two people short. No apology and we had to walk that distance back to the bus. It was embarrassing but not our fault!

So all in all whilst we enjoyed the cruise it wasn’t our best experience.

Have been following this Thread, particularly concerning Cruise Directors (CD). No-matter what 5+ Line--Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal--That CD sets the tone.  

We have been so-fortunate with Regent.  CDs John Barron and Ray Solaire come immediately to mind.   Class-act performers; and just nice gentlemen.  John was the CD for the first segment of our just-completed BTB Explorer--Stockholm-Southampton-Southampton cruise.   He was also aboard Explorer's 2017 inaugural season when we sailed with him from Miami, via Barcelona, to Venice.  John advised a transfer to Splendor in the immediate future.   So, we will see him in almost-exactly five months at San Diego. 

Ray has been our "companion" on numerous Navigator sailings over the past five years, to include an Amazon River adventure and a Panama Canal transit.    

There is just a "vibe" that extends from them to other support Staff.  Always around the ship; a hello at Coffee Connection; a welcome back upon return from a long shore excursion.   Something we look forward to.  

GOARMY!

Swansong, WOW, things do happen, but you'd think the GM would have taken the time to talk you and the others.  What happened was in indeed really a screw up on Regent part (even if it was an outside service Regent hired).  And not to tell you about giving you an OBC until the last night.  I agree with you about the documentary, when filming let me tell they have a script, layouts, story boards---they know what they want, and film a story just like a movie.  People may think it was just them without a script, but the crew knows what they want and they get you to do the why they want with you realizing it or it doesn't make the cut.  And that's why they film 40 plus hours for a hour show.  With titles, the thank you list and the cast it's less than an hour.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Swansong for your report. The precruise transfer issues sound awful.

I was particularly interested in the part about the overland in Israel as we are signed up for that one next year. I had already planned not to actually swim in the Dead Sea due to the salt in hair issue, but definitely want to dip my feet in at least.

2 hours ago, swansong said:

Rachel G, the overnight tour was worth every penny, we did a similar one 5 years ago and that was great too. You will enjoy every minute.

Good to hear.  We have been to Israel before to Jerusalem and Galilee, but Masada and the Dead Sea will be new to us.

Interested.  This as we will be on Voyager on a b2b Venice to Athens in May.  This includes 4 contiguous days in Israel.  We have chosen excursions to Masada and Jerusalem but we are willing to scrap all that for a more interesting tour.  We have visited Tel Aviv, Jaffa, and Jerusalem on another tour.   Our Jerusalem tour was Jewish centric with yad vas hem and the wailing wall.  

22 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Swansong, WOW, things do happen, but you'd think the GM would have taken the time to talk you and the others.  What happened was in indeed really a screw up on Regent part (even if it was an outside service Regent hired).  And not to tell you about giving you an OBC until the last night.  I agree with you about the documentary, when filming let me tell they have a script, layouts, story boards---they know what they want, and film a story just like a movie.  People may think it was just them without a script, but the crew knows what they want and they get you to do the why they want with you realizing it or it doesn't make the cut.  And that's why they film 40 plus hours for a hour show.  With titles, the thank you list and the cast it's less than an hour.

While I understand where you are coming from, the issue is really managed by Destination Services rather than the General Manager (the G.M. is over almost everyone but he/she should not be the first point of contact unless you do not receive satisfaction from the proper manager.

Want to reiterate that, when we were filmed on Explorer, there was absolutely no script.  It will be interesting if our short dinner service that was filmed in our suite will be shown on television (it would not bother us if it were not).  My main point is simply that they want passengers to say/do what they feel like saying.  

Rachel - which Middle East itinerary are you doing?  We are doing the one in November on Explorer.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, swansong said:

Taxare, thanks for that information, I wasn’t aware. I will try to find the bit of the website that allows that.

7 hours ago, taxare said:

Swansong, one minor point, we have been able to preorder our meals online on BA and they have always had it onboard for us. 

My understanding, and experience of BA is that :-

- the pre-ordering of main courses is for long haul flights only, not short haul ie London to Europe

- in First, Club World & World Traveller Plus

- for direct flights from London

The usual traditional pre notification of dietary requirements still applies on all flights i believe.  

Hope this helps

23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While I understand where you are coming from, the issue is really managed by Destination Services rather than the General Manager (the G.M. is over almost everyone but he/she should not be the first point of contact unless you do not receive satisfaction from the proper manager.

Want to reiterate that, when we were filmed on Explorer, there was absolutely no script.  It will be interesting if our short dinner service that was filmed in our suite will be shown on television (it would not bother us if it were not).  My main point is simply that they want passengers to say/do what they feel like saying.  

Rachel - which Middle East itinerary are you doing?  We are doing the one in November on Explorer.

Not really important, but you can't shoot a Documentary to be shown on TV with having a story board and script.  They may not have shown it to you, but they had one for them to follow.  You just don't take a bunch of film and put it together without knowing what you are going to shoot.  Even Regent had to see it before letting them on the ship.  I've done this before with the company I worked for, I wouldn't even think of letting a crew on one of the companies properties until I knew what the out come would be.  It's just the way it is.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Not really important, but you can't shoot a Documentary to be shown on TV with having a story board and script.  They may not have shown it to you, but they had one for them to follow.  You just don't take a bunch of film and put it together without knowing what you are going to shoot.  Even Regent had to see it before letting them on the ship.  I've done this before with the company I worked for, I wouldn't even think of letting a crew on one of the companies properties until I knew what the out come would be.  It's just the way it is.  

Well, all I can say (and I discussed this with my DH today to make sure that I wasn't missing anything), is to repeat that the only question we were asked was if they could film a dinner service in our suite.  The only instructions we were given was not to look at the camera.  Not saying that there isn't a "story board" or "script", but we certainly were not aware of any.  

It is important to note that the Discovery Channel has been highlighting passenger and cargo ships episodes for a long time and they do a great job.