THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

On 10/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, Sthrngary said:

I hope this information helps some folks enjoy their next cruise experience.  Whether you go with a NCL Haven luxury experience; Celebrity suites or any other brands upper level experience, you now know what to expect.  Be well and stay healthy.

Thank you for the information!! Have sailed Celebrity twice in Retreat Class (on Edge). Their experience is supposedly modeled after the Haven. I was blown away enough by the Retreat that I did it twice and booked two more. Now I really want to try the Haven. 

Assuming you've already had your Oceania sailing that you mentioned. In my opinion, Oceania and Silversea have the best food I've eaten at sea so far. Interesting to learn what you thought of Oceania. In any event, looking forward to trying The Haven in the next several months. Thanks again for a great summary. 

3 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

This might have been asked but does the Gem Haven courtyard have a bar that serves drinks or do you have to go elsewhere to get one?

You have to go elsewhere.  The smaller ships don't have a Haven Bar or Restaurant.  They provide breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant for Haven Guests. 

15 hours ago, molemaui said:

Thank you for the information!! Have sailed Celebrity twice in Retreat Class (on Edge). Their experience is supposedly modeled after the Haven. I was blown away enough by the Retreat that I did it twice and booked two more. Now I really want to try the Haven. 

Assuming you've already had your Oceania sailing that you mentioned. In my opinion, Oceania and Silversea have the best food I've eaten at sea so far. Interesting to learn what you thought of Oceania. In any event, looking forward to trying The Haven in the next several months. Thanks again for a great summary. 

The best food I have ever had was on Crystal Cruises.  Allow me to answer your question in a different way.  Regardless of which "Super Premium" (Oceania) or "Luxury" brand you cruise.  Your food and service will be great.  Not just in a special area like the Haven or the Retreat.  In the entire ship.  These ships which are smaller and have less guests (1250 or less) have the food and service thing down.

Where the difference is from a vacation is when you want some real energy, music, entertainment, and yes even crowds.  What makes the Haven and the Retreat special over Oceania and Crystal is your ability to leave this VIP area and go to the rest of a huge ship.  Lots more things to do. Water slides, go carts, Lasor tag, and lots more.  When the crowds get to you, you go back to the Haven.  

That is my favorite part of these Main Stream areas.  I hope I helped in some way.

Cruise Well.

7 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

This might have been asked but does the Gem Haven courtyard have a bar that serves drinks or do you have to go elsewhere to get one?

I thought this was already answered, but maybe someone also asked this in another thread(?), so...

Our experience in a sister ship, the Pearl, was that there was an attendant who was able to get food (e.g., burgers) and drinks while Haven guests were enjoying the Haven courtyard.  It was very pleasant there.

I would guess it's similar in others of that class of NCL ship, but I'm not sure.

(And with Covid, a lot of things may have changed...?)

GC

23 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I thought this was already answered, but maybe someone also asked this in another thread(?), so...

Our experience in a sister ship, the Pearl, was that there was an attendant who was able to get food (e.g., burgers) and drinks while Haven guests were enjoying the Haven courtyard.  It was very pleasant there.

I would guess it's similar in others of that class of NCL ship, but I'm not sure.

(And with Covid, a lot of things may have changed...?)

GC

I think the reason why your question was not answered it the Attendants on the smaller NCL ships in the Haven were a hit/miss.  Sometimes they show up and other times they don't.  The alternative is your butler whom will deliver to you in the Haven Courtyard and sundeck.  As I always say because I don't like surprises, make sure if you ask for an adult beverage from your butler, it is not charged to your suite.  Again, hit/miss.  

I hope that answers your question.  Enjoy your future cruise.

Having never been on NCL before I knew nothing about the Haven and had many questions. After reading every page of this thread, I now have zero questions. I’m now a Haven expert. I’m on the 12/5 sailing of the Bliss and received an opportunity to upgrade (that’s a whole ‘ other search).  Most of the choices were for the Haven. Thanks to Gary and the rest of the posters for all the info and opinions. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, cmecruise1962 said:

Hi Gary!  I'm taking my Mom on the cruise right after yours.  My first time in the Haven!  🙂  She uses a walker and I usually have wheelchair assist for her to get on the ship.  Did you (or anyone else) notice if there was wheelchair assist at the testing site?  Or is there a special (shorter) line for Haven guests?  I'm not worried about me...just my Mom!  (I'll bring a folding chair for her, if necessary and leave it in the terminal!!)

We sailed on the Encore at the end of August with my MIL who has mobility issues. She flew in on her own the day of the cruise with the NCL transfer (we were there a day early to catch a baseball game). She told them ahead of time that she would need assistance and they helped her every step of the way. The 'mobility-challenged' guests were put on the same bus from the airport and dropped off at a slightly different testing location in Seattle. Main testing was up on the 2nd or 3rd floor, for mobility folks it was just around the corner where there was an elevator for them to use to get to the site. So just make sure her account is flagged as needing assistance and she'll be fine.

With tipping, we've found ourselves tipping the concierge more than the butler on our last few trips. They simply just do more for us. Butler on the Encore was pleasant, but we didn't see his face until the end of day 2 and again on the 2nd to last day. That was it. Maybe because we were aft? Who knows... So the cabin steward was the one who helped us with things for the room as we saw him multiple times a day in the hallway, and the concierge helped with more things in general. Each experience will differ, but we go in with a ballpark idea similar to what Gary uses as a guide, and steal from Peter to pay Paul as needed.

• Like 2

Just disembarked Getaway Haven - although I checked the room charges 2 days before I just checked the invoice and noticed a late charge at Cagneys of $146 but we should not be charged anything - does anyone have a contact to get this refunded ?

4 hours ago, kenzie said:

Just disembarked Getaway Haven - although I checked the room charges 2 days before I just checked the invoice and noticed a late charge at Cagneys of $146 but we should not be charged anything - does anyone have a contact to get this refunded ?

To specifically answer your question, call or write NCL directly. Share with them the number of Specialty Restaurant perk nights you had and that your were charged. Mistakes happen and yes they are frustrating.  

Since the topic of this thread it the Secrets to the Haven, we are obviously limited to the complementary dinners at specialty restaurants currently to two.  I know you know that. Therefore this issue has much more to do with NCL accounting then the Haven itself.

Let us know how this all turns out.  Thank you for posting.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raz3r1 said:

I have seen 2 different welcome to haven documents on this board1961712298_WelcomeAboardHaven.pdf

this is one of them and it includes everything, but then I have also seen one that looks the same but it only gives options for pillows, coffee and tea.

So does anyone know which one is correct?

That's the one I received from NCL re: my 12/12/21 cruise, fwiw. 🙂

29 minutes ago, Raz3r1 said:

I have seen 2 different welcome to haven documents on this board1961712298_WelcomeAboardHaven.pdf

this is one of them and it includes everything, but then I have also seen one that looks the same but it only gives options for pillows, coffee and tea.

Is the "included sparkling water" the San Pellegrino?  Or ?

Thanks!

GC

19 minutes ago, Raz3r1 said:

The document you have listed is one of the two documents sent to me on Sept 21, 2021.  The other document was amenities for all cabins.  The problem with this document is not that it is wrong.  It is that it is written poorly.  The other issue is this document, to my understanding was designed for some yet not all of the Haven Categories.  Specifically in this case, an H2 which has more amenities that are complementary then other Haven Suites.  Look on the right side at the categories for Haven Suites. 

To clarify your questions, the normal Haven Suite has a Butler, afternoon snacks, bottle of sparkling wine, pillow menu.  It does not have unlimited Waters, soda, mixers. To help you further, I am attaching a document that shows the amenities of each stateroom.

Hope this helps you.

Amenities JOY.jpg

• Like 2

What does NOT make sense is that the "more inclusive" list of amenities starts with this:

"

FEEL LIKE BASKING IN LUXURY?

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation. As a guest in The Haven, we take great pride in making your suite a personalized sanctuary. As such, there are several complimentary amenities we can have ready and waiting for you upon arrival.
Just let us know your preferences and we will take care of the rest.
You can reach us M-F 9-6 EST at 1-855-625-4283.

"

There is NO indication that the contents do not apply to ALL Haven suites,

The ONLY part that shows as "restricted" are the alcoholic beverages, which are clearly labeled as for only some suites.  That gives further implication that the rest is indeed for all suites.

GC

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does NOT make sense is that the "more inclusive" list of amenities starts with this:

"

FEEL LIKE BASKING IN LUXURY?

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation. As a guest in The Haven, we take great pride in making your suite a personalized sanctuary. As such, there are several complimentary amenities we can have ready and waiting for you upon arrival.
Just let us know your preferences and we will take care of the rest.
You can reach us M-F 9-6 EST at 1-855-625-4283.

"

There is NO indication that the contents do not apply to ALL Haven suites,

The ONLY part that shows as "restricted" are the alcoholic beverages, which are clearly labeled as for only some suites.  That gives further implication that the rest is indeed for all suites.

GC

I know and I agree. Poorly worded.  Part of this issue is I attached this document on a past post some weeks ago.  I did not connect that it was on certain Haven Suites.  I am in the (H2) Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  So the document they sent connected to that category.  

The other document which is posted here is a much better representation of what is provided for the Normal Haven Suites.  I did not mean to create this confusion.  I was confused at the time also.  

Cruise well everyone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raz3r1 said:

really, this is the one I got I few days ago

Welcome Aboard Haven[3375].pdf 94.43 kB · 41 downloads

This one seems applicable for most of the Haven, as those are your only choices. If you are not in an owners suite or garden villa then you don’t need to see the choices for water, soda, or liquor.

For all my friends on CruiseCritic.com and Haven Enthusiasts.  I wrote this op-ed over two years ago.  Since then, I tried, I really tried to get back on an NCL ship.  Four cancelations, much frustration, lots of learning and finally what seems to be a success.

My family and I are 16 days away from cruising on the NCL Joy out of Miami.  When I wrote this topic, it was accurate to the Haven Experience I received. Well in two weeks I will do an update.  I will confirm what is the same, different, better and worse.  I promise to take into consideration this ship, the itinerary and that fact that my family will join me on this sailing.

Follow along with my journey on Cruise Critic and the NCL board.  The link for my real-time review is:

Thanks to everyone that helped make this last two years so awesome.  

Cruise well in the Haven Everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

18 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

For all my friends on CruiseCritic.com and Haven Enthusiasts.  I wrote this op-ed over two years ago.  Since then, I tried, I really tried to get back on an NCL ship.  Four cancelations, much frustration, lots of learning and finally what seems to be a success.

My family and I are 16 days away from cruising on the NCL Joy out of Miami.  When I wrote this topic, it was accurate to the Haven Experience I received. Well in two weeks I will do an update.  I will confirm what is the same, different, better and worse.  I promise to take into consideration this ship, the itinerary and that fact that my family will join me on this sailing.

Follow along with my journey on Cruise Critic and the NCL board.  The link for my real-time review is:

Thanks to everyone that helped make this last two years so awesome.  

Cruise well in the Haven Everyone.

Wow, that "Live from" is something to look forward to.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.  I'm sure it affects the time with your family and were glad people like you put this much effort in to sharing your vacation experiences.  It can only make our experiences more enjoyable.  cheers,  Drew

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Wow, that "Live from" is something to look forward to.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.  I'm sure it affects the time with your family and were glad people like you put this much effort in to sharing your vacation experiences.  It can only make our experiences more enjoyable.  cheers,  Drew

Drews, I feel the same way.  I was recently on a Crystal Cruises voyage.  Hell of a experience and my first on a luxury brand.  One of the posters, @Keith1010 (more then a poster, more like a brand ambassador) did these real time reviews and information.  I learned so much it made my cruise better.  So I thought I would do the same.  

I usually set up the topics, in writing so all I have to do is fill in the blanks.  I usually wake up early so I will (You will love this) go on my balcony and write with a cup of French Press Coffee (Cruel, I know) and a cheese danish (Unforgivable).  

This kind of thing forces me to get out and about.  Thanks for your encouragement and well wishes.

Cruise well.

• Like 4