Escape Wine Cellar room

Monarch25

Hi all,

I am investigating the wine cellar room on the Escape. Is it a wine bar or is it just for tastings, ie, can the wife and I just drop in and get a class or two of wine? Also, what is the price for glasses of wine range from? We have the regular drink package that allows for drinks up to $15. Are there wines we can get there? If anyone has any experience in there, I would appreciate feedback on your experience. 

Thanks,

Monarch25

We loved the wine bar on the Escape (although we are not a fan of ships this big).

You can get wines by the glass.  Many are included in the package, but they have other wines by the glass that are more expensive...you only pay the amount over $15...plus tip.

The bar also has an outside seating area.

Several times throughout the cruise they offered wine tasting event (additional charge).

Missed by many is they frequently offer live music (usually a singer/guitarist).  Also not well known, is you can order tapas from the Pincho Tapas Bar (al la carte pricing) in the Wine Cellar.  We ordered a few, asked the server to create a wine pairing and enjoyed a few hours of live music...one of our favorite nights onboard!

Great place for wines by the glass not offered in other bars. We often stop by on the way to dinner to get a glass of wine to take into wherever we are eating that night. Have enjoyed their wine tasting seminars too. You order there with your drink package just like any other bar or lounge on the ship.

Mary Ann

We love the wine bar on the Escape! Our favorite spot is the table at the very tip of of the space -- the one nearest the chandelier. It offers awesome people watching. The people working there know their stuff and are happy to suggest different wines. Some of the wines are above the $15 package limit, but you should be able to find something you are happy with below the limit. 

We've also had some wines there that are technically not available by the glass. We became "regulars" and I think the wines were open from an earlier tasting. 

2 hours ago, erdoran said:

Are there “free” wines there that aren’t available elsewhere, other than by good luck (leftover from tastings)?  Do they have a special wine menu?

Yes. I think every post above mentioned that there are wines at the Cellars that are not available at other bars. They have a wine menu for the products available at that bar. 

Edited by BirdTravels

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a bar. It provides a larger selections of wines than, say, the main dining room. Stop by any time for a glass of wine. 

Do they no longer close it for tastings?  Last time I was on Escape they would close the bar for an hour or two in the afternoons unless you participating in a tasting.  It was always empty when they did, and I always seemed to hit that window.  Regardless, it is a very nice venue with good service.

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. I think every post above mentioned that there are wines at the Cellars that are not available at other bars. They have a wine menu for the products available at that bar. 

Thanks bird.  My question was if they have additional $15 and under wines

19 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Thanks bird.  My question was if they have additional $15 and under wines

That was also answered above, and the answer was yes.

It is the Mondavi Cellars, so their is a tilt to the selections. Although a recent Meet the Winemaker event (we did not attend - kinda pricy) was not a member of the Mondavi family. 

10 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Do they no longer close it for tastings?  Last time I was on Escape they would close the bar for an hour or two in the afternoons unless you participating in a tasting.  It was always empty when they did, and I always seemed to hit that window.  Regardless, it is a very nice venue with good service.

We have usually been able to get a glass or two during a tasting seminar, but sometimes only at the outside bar area.  BTW...we really enjoy the outside bar in the late afternoon and during sailaways.