Alaska for our 50th anniversary in 2021?

LSUGranny

Our 50th anniversary is March 27, 2021.  We want to plan a cruise, probably not on the date but during the spring or summer.  I would like a southern Caribbean cruise but when talking to my husband, he has said that he would rather go back to Alaska.  We went on a Princess cruise there in 2017.  We did the Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan cruise and loved it.  We did a wonderful whale watching excursion in Juneau, the train in Skagway, and a float plane in Ketchikan.  I want to make him happy - he has to use a cane and may be in a wheelchair by then.  Please help me pick a cruise and excursions that would give us something different in Alaska.

37 minutes ago, LSUGranny said:

Our 50th anniversary is March 27, 2021.  We want to plan a cruise, probably not on the date but during the spring or summer.  I would like a southern Caribbean cruise but when talking to my husband, he has said that he would rather go back to Alaska.  We went on a Princess cruise there in 2017.  We did the Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan cruise and loved it.  We did a wonderful whale watching excursion in Juneau, the train in Skagway, and a float plane in Ketchikan.  I want to make him happy - he has to use a cane and may be in a wheelchair by then.  Please help me pick a cruise and excursions that would give us something different in Alaska.

Princess doesn't have much variation in their Alaska Itineraries. Virtually all of them are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan. A few Itineraries will probably include Sitka, keep an eye out for those maybe. Or look at one that includes a different glacier day than the first. And definitely some different excurions.  Perhaps consider a land portion also, to expand Alaskan experiences.

And, while we're one the Princess board, definitely look at Holland America also, they have great Alaskan itineraries and programming like Princess, and still have smaller ships up there, which can lead to more interesting ports. Sometimes Haines, Sitka, etc. 

If he enjoyed Alaska - and it's a special anniversary - any chance you guys would consider some flights - and check out Norway!! Amazing glaciers, fjords, scenery and a new special locale. 

Just a thought.  😉

Look at HAL's Great Alaska Explorer -- 14 day R/T from Seattle. Several different ports (they do change the itinerary as well as what ship has it from year to year, so can't speak for 2021). In 2018 we visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, cruising Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, and Victoria. 

In 2020, we are going to cruise Princess (Golden Princess) 14 day R/T Los Angeles which means no flights for us (!). Our ports will be Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, cruising Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, and Victoria. Again, cannot guess what they will offer in 2021; Golden Princess is leaving the fleet.

• Like 1

Celebrity has been doing a south-bound that leaves from Seward and includes Hubbard Glacier. You could take the GoldStar train from Anchorage to Seward (GoldStar is not offer on the shorter Anchorage to Whittier run). This will be our choice if the Pacific Princess doesn't do Alaska in 2021. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, crystalspin said:

Look at HAL's Great Alaska Explorer -- 14 day R/T from Seattle. Several different ports (they do change the itinerary as well as what ship has it from year to year, so can't speak for 2021).

Oops, this is wrong: the Great Alaska Explorer in 2021 is going to be on the Maasdam, and R/T Vancouver. Meaning it hugs the coast more, except crossing the Bay of Alaska. The ports of call are somewhat different than I listed above. It will surely be a great cruise none-the-less!