Cruise Critic Canadian Site

Airbear232

I’m wondering if it’s time for a separate Canadian Cruise Critic site.  My reasoning for this is purely selfish from a Canadian perspective.  You see we’re excluded from

most contests run on cruise critic.  Seeing that there are separate sites for UK and Australia, so maybe it’s time for a Canadian site as well.  Thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

I’m wondering if it’s time for a separate Canadian Cruise Critic site.  My reasoning for this is purely selfish from a Canadian perspective.  You see we’re excluded from

most contests run on cruise critic.  Seeing that there are separate sites for UK and Australia, so maybe it’s time for a Canadian site as well.  Thoughts?

I honestly didn't know there were contests.  I would be annoyed too if I were excluded.  

I see a lot of folks from the UK and Australia posting here.  Are there actually separate .UK and .AU forums?   

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I honestly didn't know there were contests.  I would be annoyed too if I were excluded.  

I see a lot of folks from the UK and Australia posting here.  Are there actually separate .UK and .AU forums?   

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you should see the international websites.

I've never bothered with any of the contests, so didn't know they restricted who could of could not participate. I doubt the number of Canadian CC members are sufficient in number to make a separate website feasible. And without sufficient membership, I doubt such a site would attract sponsors for contests.

I was thinking the question was about a completely separate web site like "cruisecritic.co.UK" and that there would be a separate set of forums. 

I didn't think it through that even with a separate web site, the boards (forums) would be the same.   Kind of makes sense now.  I should have known from LHT's post, but it just didn't compute.   Thanks MomSays!     

34 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have won 7 contests.If I knew that Canadians could not participate I never would have entered.

I see a current contest on the forum index page for an NCL gift certificate.  It is limited to residents of the 50 US states.   

OK, if I understand this correctly, even though UK and Austrailia have their own web sites (cruisecritic.co.uk & cruisecritic.com.au), when you click on the "boards" link it takes you to this same forum index page and the same NCL contest.  

So, if I have this right, even with a separate CC website, folks outside of the US are not eligible for the contest.   Of course, there is a very good chance I don't have this right and I will not be surprised when someone points that out to me.  Lol. 

I expect the limitation is from the sponsor (e.g. NCL) and not Cruise Critic.  I kind of also suspect that designing a contest that complies with the laws of every country would be more than the sponsor is willing to do. But again, nothing more than a pure WAG on my part.   

Maybe an inquiry to CC is needed.    

FYI to all,

From the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

... The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com...

... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums.  Your post will be removed and you may receive a Guideline Reminder.  However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com...

... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ...

Any statements, questions, comments or feedback concerning a separate Canadian Cruise Critic site or the rules for Cruise Critic contests should be in an email to the Community Manager and NOT discussed on the boards. Therefore, this thread is locked and will be possibly removed by Management.

• Administrators

Hi all:

Thanks for your feedback regarding contests.

Please understand that it is not Cruise Critic's decision as to who can participate in a contest.  It is the decision of those who are giving the prize away.  There are different rules for sweepstakes around the world -- especially for Canadians -- and that is why many contests do not apply to our Canadian friends.  Cruise Critic certainly isn't making a decision to exclude you.

If you access any of the contests, we include a full set of rules.  Those rules include eligibility.  Those rules must be included in any sweepstakes offered throughout our site. 

With regard to the statement about "separate forums for our U.K. site" -- which we do have cruisecritic.co.uk  -- the forums are one and the same.   Everyone is directed to the same set of forums, there is no difference.   Even if we create numerous websites that are English-based, all members would be directed to this one set of forums.  We believe everyone would benefit from the knowledge of everyone else 🙂

HOWEVER, we do have a U.K. cruising individual forum, and we do have an AU forum.  We can certainly open a "Canadian Cruising" forum if there is enough interest.

• Thanks 1