Miami Pier

Sheltieluv

Hi all, I did a search but the latest info was from 2 years ago (at least that's what I found).🙂  Could anyone please tell me which pier is used by Regent in Miami for disembarkation?  The search results said J.  I'm asking for info because a dear friend of ours is driving up from Key Largo so we can spend the day with him before we fly out the next day.  I'd like to be able to give him a preliminary heads-up for location.  Our documents don't indicate which pier.

Also, if he gets delayed in traffic, is there a place for us to sit and wait after leaving the ship/customs?

If it helps, there is a Royal Caribbean ship (Explorer of the Seas) debarking on the same morning, November 19.

Thank you for any help!

Terminal J is used by Regent ships. It is a small terminal. All the other ship lines are on the other side of the port.  There aren’t any seating areas outside the terminal. If we are waiting for our car service, we just hang around outside, sitting on a ledge. Lots of people gather outside waiting for their transportation. 

Hope this helps.
Sheila

Yes, Sheila, that helps a lot!  Thank you for replying.  Now I just have to figure out what time to have him pick us up.  Since we don't have to catch a flight, we won't have to be in any rush to debark and will only have carry-on luggage.

Thanks again!

17 minutes ago, Sheltieluv said:

Now I just have to figure out what time to have him pick us up.  Since we don't have to catch a flight, we won't have to be in any rush to debark and will only have carry-on luggage.

Keep in mind that in Miami, Regent ships usually dock at 6 am.  Luggage will begin to be unloaded at 7 am, and completed around 8 am.  Debarkation begins after all luggage is on shore (8:00-8:30)   Then, everyone is expected to off the ship no later than 9:30.  That is your time window. 

Sheila — or anyone:   Do you happen to know whether there's long-term parking at Terminal J, or does one have to makes one's way, hauling luggage, etc, from the other side of the port?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, poss said:

Sheila — or anyone:   Do you happen to know whether there's long-term parking at Terminal J, or does one have to makes one's way, hauling luggage, etc, from the other side of the port?

Thanks.

There is a parking garage adjacent to Terminal J.  Last time there, it was $22 per day.  But it is super convenient.

Poss, when you enter the garage, they will confirm you are going on the Regent XXX cruise. They have already calculated the amount for the entire cruise and you prepay with a credit card and they give you a card to put on your dash showing you have been prepaid. If needed, there is handicapped parking. I believe you could pull up to the porters before parking, let them take the bags from the car and then park the car. We have just taken the elevator down, its 2-3 lanes of a small road in front of the terminal where people get dropped off and the porters are right there. We have used it three times and as Anchorbuoy said we have found it very easy and convenient.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much, Anchorbuoy and taxare.   Are the porters specifically Regent people, or just any ol' baggage porter?    I suspect I'd feel uncomfortable giving bags to just anyone and then going off to park.

15 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Keep in mind that in Miami, Regent ships usually dock at 6 am.  Luggage will begin to be unloaded at 7 am, and completed around 8 am.  Debarkation begins after all luggage is on shore (8:00-8:30)   Then, everyone is expected to off the ship no later than 9:30.  That is your time window. 

In principle - yes.  This is correct.  But in practice the Immigration  frequently require personal interviews and that takes more time.  Crew has to be cleared as well before anyone can disembark.  Patience is the word of the day (and not having any pressing engagement like a flight check in!!)

Miami is a difficult port to predict- - sometimes everything goes smoothly and last of the folks can be off as early as 9am. 
However, our experience is that we usually disembark about 9:15 - and are outside by 9:30 - 9:45. we do not rush as we have car service to take us home. 
sheila

21 hours ago, poss said:

Thanks very much, Anchorbuoy and taxare.   Are the porters specifically Regent people, or just any ol' baggage porter?    I suspect I'd feel uncomfortable giving bags to just anyone and then going off to park.

Sorry Poss, I don't remember what they were wearing, the porters are hired by the port and it should be pretty clear who they are. They are waiting for taxis, busses, etc to get all of the luggage. There are generally police or other port officials nearby that you could ask if you are concerned. You will see the porters take the luggage and put it in big bins that will be loaded on the ship.

the porters will take your bags and put them on the bins that go to the ship. I always watch until they are at least in the bins. The porters will also remind you that they should get tips. Only port I've experienced this at, even though we always tip them

This morning we arrived in Terminal F (same as embarking last week).  Ship cleared and luggage ready at 0817; we were first group off.  Was in car by 0825 and at airport by 0845; checked bags, security (Concourse H - Delta), and at gate by 0900.  Way too early for an 1117 flight.  

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

On 10/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, poss said:

The porters are not Regent personnel as both ship and the local operators they use are not allowed to touch the luggage.

I would not worry about handing over your luggage.  I would make sure though that you are handing it over to a porter.

At the same time items such as jewelry, electronics, medicines. etc should be in your carry on.

Keith