Upgrades and Price Drops

faze41

So I booked for next spring early this past year.  Early last week I received an e-mail saying that we had been upgraded 2 categories.  Then yesterday they did a

price drop on all categories.  My original booking of $2199 pp dropped to $1699 pp.  The category I was upgraded to dropped from $2499 to $1899.  I know I can ask for a reduction, but which do I ask for?  Based on the original I booked, or on the cabin I was upgraded to?  Anyone else ever experience this?  Looking for some guidance.

Well this is an interesting dilemma for sure. On one hand, no matter if you go back to your original cabin or you keep the upgrade it looks like you’re due back some money. Would you be happy going back to your original booking? If so I’d go for the most return. What you don’t know is if they upgraded you because they knew the price was going to drop. I would call and ask. It has probably happened in the past. I would think you have the last say in what happens and if you don’t like the answers you stay with the upgrade at your original price. 

Do keep us posted. I’m interested how this plays out. 

I am sure they are moving a lot of people around and giving upgrades given the current True Tropics sale is quite good with some cheap prices already for Caribbean cruises in peak Feb March season. If prices are already this low, I think there will be further bargains down the road as Windstar President said they were looking to introduce a reduced single supplement special for Caribbean cruises in the coming weeks.  Great bargains ahead.  

We love Windstar. However, when we try to get friends to sail with us, they won’t.  They are put off by the high cost of internet, excursions, etc.  We sail with them on Azamara and Oceania. Both include more amenities. If Windstar included complimentary internet, they would probably book. It may be time for Windstar to re-evaluate it’s offerings. 

Maybe your friends should make a spreadsheet and include all the costs they expect on comparable cruises.  Factor in the need to get a Club Continent suite on Azamara to have a decent bathroom.  Then see if Windstar is actually more expensive.

• Like 1

So here's how it ended up shaking out for anyone interested.  Windstar would only honor a price drop of $300 per person (original price paid down to the new price of the upgraded cabin.)  But they would take away our perk of $145pp because we booked with free gratuities.  So the final offer was $155 pp credit.