BaLcony rooms with no where to sit.

mafw

On 10/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, PoohUnderstands said:

A possible solution is one I use.  I get 2-3 extra pillows from the steward upon boarding and use them on the bed and then I can sit up straight very comfortably with my legs up like in a lazyboy fashion.  I find that comfortable.  But you definitely need the extra pillows to do so.  

Pooh

This definitely would not be my idea of comfort.

• Like 3

We just returned from a partial Panama Canal cruise last week. We had a balcony cabin, category BD. There was no barrel chair in the cabin, only the desk chair. When we met with our cabin steward, we requested an additional chair, without stating a preference for type of chair. When we returned to the cabin following the muster drill, a barrel chair was in the cabin. It was in very good condition and was very clean. We used both chairs frequently throughout the 10-day cruise. 

• Like 2

I like the Sofa, the Chair, was often in the way, although it did provide sitting space.  We used it when needed (the chair) and will book a deluxe balcony if the price is right to continue to have a sitting space. 

I think this forum is important for people to feel "heard", but not sure our gripes will help anything.

To be off topic, I'm more disappointed that the BVE program is gone, lol. 

• Like 1

We don't miss the chair. We found it was in the way, and I did not find it comfortable, but on the cruises we have gone on since they were removed, I asked about the chair, and was told that if we wanted a chair, they could get us one.

I am not saying that you can always get a chair, but it feels like this problem may be solvable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pablo222 said:

"Many of us found the chair to be nothing but a clutter gatherer that was in the way."

Who is the us you are speaking of?   At least 99% of the posts I've read on this

topic lament the loss of the chair.   Your's might actually be the only post

I've read that is happy with the chair being removed...

Count us in on the chair removal. 

It would be so bad if they would remove it if asked. 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, geocruiser said:

I am one of the people who is walking away from Princess because of this chair thing. 

Incrementally, Princess has nickeled-and-dimed  people away from them.  I didn't know about this chair thing, but it's ridiculous.  We've been sailing with them since Sitmar (later bought by Princess) and each year it gets worse.  They ended the Library on the new ships to make room for cabins.  On some ships they put cabins where there used to be walkways.  On our last cruise on Island Princess, they had moved the gym from a sunny escape to the bowels of the ship to make room for cabins.  They charge for every little thing and the prices are obscene.  (Remember when cruises truly WERE "all inclusive"?)  Tried Celebrity; didn't like it.  Where to go next?  We're on Sky Princess in February and have read not-too-flattering reviews about it.  I'm certain they don't care that people are leaving for other lines; they'll always be able to find someone to fill that space.  Sorry; it's morning, no coffee yet, so I'm grumpy.  😒

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, mafw said:

Easy peasy 

Upon boarding ask room steward for chair.  They will bring you one like the one under the desk.  Cruising is like rolling over the waves, you just roll with the changes.  
Cheers and Happy Sailing

We have been traveling on Princess for some time and it has been our favorite.  We are Elite members.....However today I spoke with Customer service, after my MANY letters went unanswered... I asked to have a chair in our balcony room.  I was told the rooms have been redesigned and all Barrel chairs removed.....I asked if two or three people in room WHERE WOULD THEY SIT.....i was told no chairs they have been removed.....If you look at the pictures of any balcony room....they ALL SHOW A BARREL CHAIR......However customer service said sorry...they are gone.   I asked how could this be done AFTWR FINAL PAYMENT AND WE WERE NOT INFORMED........My husband has a bad back....where should he sit on the floor????No recourse...I have several upcoming cruisesALREADY BOOKED...With no where to sit I will Be forced to cruise with another line to be able to sit on my transatlantic cruised....If I would have been made aware of this policy when booking I would have chosen another room...however ALL PHOTOS SHOW A CHAIR.....GOODBYE PRINCESS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

I think many on CC have mentioned that this issue is important to them.

It's important to me to have the extra room. 

I guess we'll just have to wait & see if Princess feels it's worthwhile to put the chairs back to satisfy those people who will leave Princess because of it......but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

There's been bigger issues in the past where nothing was done. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

It's important to me to have the extra room. 

I guess we'll just have to wait & see if Princess feels it's worthwhile to put the chairs back to satisfy those people who will leave Princess because of it......but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

There's been bigger issues in the past where nothing was done. 

No, we will not have to wait and see, I think we all know that Princess will not put the chairs back.  Enjoy your extra room.  What will you do with it?   Perhaps you can hop in place while drinking your coffee from room service.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, mafw said:

We have been traveling on Princess for some time and it has been our favorite.  We are Elite members.....However today I spoke with Customer service, after my MANY letters went unanswered... I asked to have a chair in our balcony room.  I was told the rooms have been redesigned and all Barrel chairs removed.....I asked if two or three people in room WHERE WOULD THEY SIT.....i was told no chairs they have been removed.....If you look at the pictures of any balcony room....they ALL SHOW A BARREL CHAIR......However customer service said sorry...they are gone.   I asked how could this be done AFTWR FINAL PAYMENT AND WE WERE NOT INFORMED........My husband has a bad back....where should he sit on the floor????No recourse...I have several upcoming cruisesALREADY BOOKED...With no where to sit I will Be forced to cruise with another line to be able to sit on my transatlantic cruised....If I would have been made aware of this policy when booking I would have chosen another room...however ALL PHOTOS SHOW A CHAIR.....GOODBYE PRINCESS

Whoever told you that the rooms have been redesigned and all barrel chairs removed is a liar about the redesigning part.  No cabin has been redesigned.  We just got off the Star Princess and the barrel chair was gone.  DH brought in a deck chair to sit on.  The desk chair is a PITA.  I sat on the bed and drank my coffee.  It was too cold to sit on the balcony.  It's not a deal breaker for me whether there's a barrel chair or not.  It was always in an inconvenient place - right in front of the refrigerator.  Why does Princess have to lie about why they do what they do?  If I catch them in one I tell them.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Oh really?.....there was a lot of complaining on CC when the Royal Class ships first came out and there was no center stair well for passenger use.....WALLAH!!  Passenger center stairwells have made an appearance on Royal class ships now!!!

Grand Princess entered service in 1997, and the center stairwell is only available to passengers up to deck seven,

but as you would expect, physically continues upward.

There have been complaints for 22 years.

Voila!  No change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pablo222 said:

Grand Princess entered service in 1997, and the center stairwell is only available to passengers up to deck seven,

but as you would expect, physically continues upward.

There have been complaints for 22 years.

Voila!  No change.

But they did do it on the Royal class ships!!!

3 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

But they did do it on the Royal class ships!!!

I thought when your wrote:

"there was a lot of complaining on CC when the Royal Class ships first came out and there was no center stair well for passenger use.....WALLAH!!  Passenger center stairwells have made an appearance on Royal class ships now!!!"

...you were asserting that complaining on CC caused princess to change.

I'm offering you a counter exampled.

Lots of things have dropped by the wayside, and never returned ... despite customer complaints.

Princess certainly can't take complaints on cruise critic seriously, as:

1) people here complain about everything

2) the complaints are often contradictory

3) there is no way to tell if the poster are actually customers

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, satxdiver said:

As it is now it is false advertising.  

The Princess website says very clearly:

"*Floor plans, amenities and stateroom diagrams represent typical arrangements and may vary by ship. Certain stateroom categories may vary in size and configuration by ship."

The pictures accompany the stateroom floor plans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

"*Floor plans, amenities and stateroom diagrams represent typical arrangements and may vary by ship. Certain stateroom categories may vary in size and configuration by ship."

The chair appears to not exist any longer in a balcony cabin. Perhaps there are a few exceptions.  Therefore, it is not a "typical arrangement".

As it now appears and in our several cruises that the barrel chairs have been removed from all balcony staterooms.  Therefore the pictures do not represent a "typical" arrangement in any manner.  Therefore Princess needs to either return the chairs or amend their pictures.  If you have evidence of any balcony staterooms where the chair has not been removed, we would be interested in confirming that the picture is indeed representative of at least one instance. 

7 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Therefore the pictures do not represent a "typical" arrangement in any manner.

Great.

Get a lawyer and tell him you want to sue on that basis.

Then tell him you want him to take the case on a contingency basis. Get a stopwatch and see how long it takes him to stop laughing before it dawns on him you are serious.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Great.

Then tell him you want him to take the case on a contingency basis. Get a stopwatch and see how long it takes him to stop laughing before it dawns on him you are serious.

I am sure there are plenty of lawyers that would happy to take the case and it would not be even a stretch to have it be class action.  Princess is clearly misrepresenting what you are paying for.  Are you Princess corporate??

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am sure there are plenty of lawyers that would happy to take the case and it would not be even a stretch to have it be class action.  Princess is clearly misrepresenting what you are paying for.  Are you Princess corporate??

Most likely there are hungry lawyers that would love to file a class action against Princess.  However I would prefer putting passenger heat on Princess to do what is right.  Complaints to Princess on evaluation forms, complaints to the PSD and best of all buttonholing ship officers at M&G would be a better solution to me.  

Last cruise we simply moved one of the chairs on the balcony into the room to sit on.  It actually was more comfortable than the barrel chairs but took up more space.  Cabin steward left it alone for the entire 28 day b2b cruise.

• Like 1

Great.

Don't be so sure.  There are lawyers who are looking for class actions to file against large corporations.  Miami I am told has quite a few maritime lawyers looking for business.  

9 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Don't be so sure.  There are lawyers who are looking for class actions to file against large corporations.  Miami I am told has quite a few maritime lawyers looking for business.  

I think you'd have a better chance for a class action for lack of enforcement of the published dress code on Formal Nights:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
  • Haha 3