restaurant in Cape Canaveral

sydney dog

10 minutes ago, sydney dog said:

planning on doing KSC.  rented a car.  looking for a fun local place for dinner.  we will be there on a friday staying 1 mile from port.  thanks

Grills Seafood and Tiki Bar, right at Port Canaveral is a great place to have a bite to eat overlooking the water and the cruise ships. Sometimes they have live music. The food is your typical grill restaurant fare, but the views and atmosphere is what makes it worth it. 

78A1D5E5-F63D-4A8A-8132-3B2559E1697F.jpeg

2E24D7C1-6392-47BF-BDEC-230CB6D01DC9.jpeg

If you want to stay at the port, Junkanoo.  Caribbean food - their nachos are amazing and they have a good rum selection.

If you want to venture down to Cocoa Beach - these are all right downtown in historic Cocoa Beach within 2 blocks of each other on Minuteman.  I can walk 3 blocks from my friend's place to these, sober or drunk!  :  

Coconuts on the Beach (majorly crowded beach bar, but fun and decent food usually has live music)

The Tiny Turtle (really good Puerto Rican-influenced food - love this place, always get the small Sofrito bowl or the 4 cheese & bacon grilled sandwich with their amazing tomato bisque) with dessert from The Fat Donkey next door (yummy ice cream - Mai Kai Coconut and Cake 'n Batter are my 2 favorites)

4th St. Fillin' Station - a 4th and Orlando in Cocoa Beach behind the gas station.  17 page beer menu!  Tasty food!  Outdoors eating.  Good vibes.  Had my first Impossible Burger there.  Their Asian Fried Cauliflower Bites were amazing.  Good Mexican-style corn-on-the-cob

I do have some "higher end" but not high energy places:

Fat Kahuna's - next to Coconuts.  Very small place, small Hawaiian-influenced menu, reservations a must.  I LOVE the seared tuna - I always get that. Their house-made sangria is a nice drink.  

Florida's Fresh Grill - on Atlantic in the Publix Banana River strip mall.  I'll make a meal of the ceviche and the seared tuna.  

Now, if you are looking for a place for pre-cruise breakfast, go to Darci's Bacon Blues!!!!!!  Cute little diner place.  Blues play all morning and TVs either show Blues videos or showing bacon frying.  My go-to place,  The place for all things bacon.  Pork belly and grits - oh my gosh!  The "shrimpy"- a bennie made with grit cakes, shrimp and bacon on top.  If Darci has it, grab some chocolate-covered bacon for the cruise!!!  And, grab some of her amazing biscuits to go, too.  It's in Cape Canaveral on Atlantic Blvd, on the left side of the road if you are going South.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Never have been to  Grills, but surely will try them if I am in the vicinity in the future.  My traveling companion and I enjoyed the fish and chips lunch along with the views at Fishlips.

Grills does amazing seafood, but be advised they don't do fried fish.  I'm pretty sure you can get coconut shrimp and maybe fries (I've never tried to order), but they pride themselves on doing grilled seafood which they do excellent.  Definitely still visit but wanted to make sure you weren't expecting fried fish.  Shrimp Cuban and/or the grilled mahi is always my go-to's! 

• Like 1

among the local crowd you'll find a pretty even split across Grills Fishlips Rustys for favorite

some like food at one over others . as mentioned Grills has more GRILLED rather than typical fried choices

(yes they do have fries! and sometimes lionfish)

image.png.591502109b34803e3a92eeab1f0b031b.png

some folks will chase their local band rather than have any food pref' of the three

Grills is the one that's doing well enuf to expand ... now with 3 locations

Good suggestions here! Since I live in Cape Canaveral, I join other locals who opt for "non-brand" names when it comes to favorite dinner choices, but for overnight visitors the suggestions at the Port (or Cove) are mine as well. Unless you want somewhere within walking distance of your hotel. 

Near the popular Canaveral hotels, I like Preacher Bar next to Kelsey's for a fun dinner with unusual fare.

At the Port, it is really impossible to choose between Grills, Seafood Atlantic (close at 7pm though), Rusty's, Junkanoo, Gators or Rising Tide. Each have their fans. On a Friday night, these places will be busy so you may have to settle for one with available tables!

My suggestion is make your way to the Port, then walk "the pier" and listen to the music and read the menus and pick one based on what you like /seat availability.  It is as simple as that - do not overplan!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iahawkfan21 said:

but they pride themselves on doing grilled seafood which they do excellent.  Definitely still visit but wanted to make sure you weren't expecting fried fish.  Shrimp Cuban and/or the grilled mahi is always my go-to's! 

I appreciate your thinking.  While I do enjoy fried seafood (of which my cardiologist disapproves), my preference is for broiled seafood with grilled being OK depending upon the medium being used to produce the heat.

Grill's is our favorite at the Port. And as mentioned, they actually do have several menu items that are fried. Lionfish is panfried then broiled. The coconut shrimp is fried and they also serve fries, wings, onion rings, chicken tenders (I had some last night). They have a lot of grilled food as well, something for everyone.

Rising Tide is good as well. Their food is a step up from some of the other Port restaurants (Rusty's, Fishlips, Gators) and they have a lot of craft beers on tap. 

In town, Papa Vito's is our most frequently visited restaurant. They have good specials every day from 3:00 - 6:00 - two for one meals, .50 wings, etc. Great food and service.