1st time using mobility scooter for cruise and independent travel in OZ, inc. flights

Hello,

For the first time, early next year I’ll be traveling with a mobility scooter : a Pride Go Go LX. As the thread title says, we’ve got an extended trip planned which includes 30 days of b2b cruising (TP ending in Sydney), and a long extended independent tour of Australia, with a bit more of New Zealand’s North Island thrown in before returning home

I would very, very much appreciate any advice and travel hacks that you can share, please.

It’s a long itinerary, but normal for us. It includes 5 domestic flights within Australia, and one lay-over in NZ (ACK).  We’re flying Sydney-Kangaroo Island, Kangaroo Island-Adelaide, Melbourne-Ayers Rock, Alice Springs-Darwin, Darwin-Brisbane, Brisbane-Auckland. That’s a lot of chances for getting the scooter damaged... We’re seasoned flyers, but the mobility scooter is adding a whole lot of worry where there usually is only minimal concern.

Tips regarding dealing with any of these airlines would be most welcome! Quantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia and Air New Zealand. I’m having trouble both finding accurate info and making sense of the rules, regarding the carriage of my scooter and its battery pack. (I’m beginning to regret Jetstar, but it’s taking me to Uluru.)

For North American flights, I understand that I can ride the scooter to the gate, that I will not need to take the gel-cell batteries off, and that I will be able to get it back at the arrival gate (just like the baby strollers). Can I expect the same in Australia? Quantas’ website seems to indicate that the gel-cell battery pack will have to be checked in as luggage in a hard case... making the scooter unusable to the gate. As mentioned, I’ve e-mailed Quantas, but have not yet had a response from them, and I couldn’t find a number to call for their special needs assistance dept..

The scooter’s battery charger is dual voltage. The manufacturer (Pride) has assured me that all I’ll need to charge it in Australia and NZ is a plug adapter from a travel store. Is this really the case? Does it take longer to charge with an adapter, and is there a danger of it over-heating? Odd question, but can one buy just the cable that goes from the charger to the wall, with the correct plug?

We’ll be renting a car on Kangaroo Island, from Adelaide to Melbourne, from Ayers Rock Resort to Alice Springs, in Darwin, and in Auckland. I generally avoid having anything visible in a rental car. So, needing the trunk for our luggage in Australia, is it OK to put the disassembled scooter in the back seat of our rental sedan during ’driving days’?

Can you please share links for resources or forums that could be useful for planning scooter sightseeing, for stays of several days in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Ayers Rock Resort, Darwin, Brisbane and Auckland. (I have several private tours booked for the ports of call in New Zealand during the cruise.)

Thanks for reading this far, and many more thank you’s for any and all suggestions.

•  
Edited by snowglobe

I don’t fly so that’s out, but re charging, it will provably charge quicker, I know mine charges slower if I need to use 110v outlets. And yes you can but cords for most chargers that avoid the need for an adapter.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, snowglobe said:

can one buy just the cable that goes from the charger to the wall, with the correct plug?

You would need to check with the scooter manufacturer, but this IEC C13 cable should work.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3pin-mains-plug-to-iec-c13-female-5m/p/PS4105

This is a standard cable used with PCs etc.

• Thanks 1

I can provide info on travelling Air NZ with a mobility scooter.  You will need help at check in if using the self service machine as they will need to waive the extra baggage charge for the scooter.  You will need to take the scooter to the oversized baggage drop off zone.  Don't let them bag the scooter if you can help it - they will return it to you at the gate if they can and if you have it in the generic bag they won't be able to tell your scooter from every other car seat / stroller etc that is in the hold. 

Depending on the plane they will make you or not make you take out the battery - if it is a regional domestic flight that uses a turbo prop then the battery comes with you, if it is a jet then you check the battery in.  Just on that we bought a cheap neoprene double wine bottle holder and use that for carrying the battery in.  They may also want you to cover the connection (plug) - we did this by using a pill bottle and cutting a hole in the cap.  This way you just screw the bottle on and it means that the cap lives on the cord.  It doesn't have to be a snug fit - it is just to prevent it connecting and sparking.

Back to the flight - so yes you will need to check the scooter in at the gate, but they will provide wheelchair assistance for you.  Yay for early boarding!  Air NZ treats people with mobility issues with extra care and attention and have always been super accommodating for us and our travel scoot. 

Hope this helps - happy travels. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for all of the very valuable advice!

I have found a cable for the charger with the correct OZ/NZ plug... that turned out to be the easiest.

Virgin Australia has not responded yet.

Qantas is an ongoing saga... as it turns out, two different departments are involved in approving the carriage of my scooter - special services to approve the space and dangerous goods to approve the sealed acid battery. Special services have said that my scooter is too tall, even though I’ve sent them the specs that shows that it comes apart and folds down. Awaiting their next response regarding that.

Why do they have to make it so complicated and stressful?!!

I’m about to tackle Air New Zealand and Air Canada next, and I’m more encouraged about those two.

Thanks again!

Edited by snowglobe

With Qantas REGISTER your scooter with them you need a dangerous goods approval which is valid for one year..  just send them details of your scooter or a link to the manufacturers info and Qantas will send you the approval ... you need to show them this at check in .......it will help a great deal and takes very little effort

Regards

John ....PS I travel with my invacare colibri on a regular basis with all Australian airlines and also Air New Zealand whom have all been most helpful but let them know in advance  

I agree they will let you have the scooter until the gate and they will bring it back to you at the gate at the other end of your flight , be prepared to wait for it however, and make sure they understand how to take the scooter out of gear so they can push it without any issues......

Regards

John

On 10/27/2019 at 5:50 AM, GUT2407 said:

I don’t fly so that’s out, but re charging, it will provably charge quicker, I know mine charges slower if I need to use 110v outlets. And yes you can but cords for most chargers that avoid the need for an adapter.

I have found its best to use the European outlets IE 220v as the charger runs much cooler , despite being a dual voltage device  (due to the charger being a switch mode device I

suspect) 

regards

John

19 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

With Qantas REGISTER your scooter with them you need a dangerous goods approval which is valid for one year..  just send them details of your scooter or a link to the manufacturers info and Qantas will send you the approval ... you need to show them this at check in .......it will help a great deal and takes very little effort

Regards

John ....PS I travel with my invacare colibri on a regular basis with all Australian airlines and also Air New Zealand whom have all been most helpful but let them know in advance  

Thanks for the encouragement, but I don’t seem to be getting far with Qantas at all!

I’ve e-mailed dg@qantas.com.au + specialhandling@qantas.com.au more than once, and from two different e-mail accounts, in case one had been blocked. I gave them my multiple booking numbers & flight numbers, and included the full specs from the manufacturer of my scooter (Pride).

It’s been over a week, and all I’ve achieved is a frustrating exchange with ‘special handling’ about my Pride Go Go LX travel scooter being “too tall”... despite the fact that the specs clearly showed that it comes apart and folds down, if needed.
At least I know that one of my e-mails got through to them. 😕

Edited by snowglobe

Once on board the ship be aware they dont like you to leave the scooter in the corridors ....they do get a bit snotty about that so put it in your cabin every time ...but with the smaller machines its not an issue as they fit through the standard cabin door without issue ( you should not need to dismantle) 

I have found both the airlines and cruise lines to be most helpful)

regards

John

2 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Thanks for the encouragement, but I don’t seem to be getting far with Qantas at all!

I’ve e-mailed dg@qantas.com.au + specialhandling@qantas.com.au more than once, and from two different e-mail accounts, in case one had been blocked. I gave them my multiple booking numbers & flight numbers, and included the full specs from the manufacturer of my scooter (Pride).

It’s been over a week, and all I’ve achieved is a frustrating exchange with ‘special handling’ about my Pride Go Go LX travel scooter being “too tall”... despite the fact that the specs clearly showed that it comes apart and folds down, if needed.

If all else fails just turn up at the gate and smile at them.. I have been flying with my scooter for about five years without a problem on Qantas , Virgin , Tiger , air New Zealand and Emirates with no problems at all, arrive early if at all possible.

but as your scooter dismantles it should not be an issue at all BTW they do not remove my battery or dismantle the scooter at all 

Best regards

John

• Thanks 1

Thank you, John.

I will be cruising with Azamara in an inside wheelchair cabin for two b2b cruises before arriving in Sydney. The cabin lay-out is a bit irregularly shaped, but will accommodate the scooter easily I think.
I’m really looking forward to it! 

John, if you were to scoot around Melbourne for a day, where would you go and what would you go see?

Is it safe to park a scooter outside a shop or restaurant door?

I was thinking of taking my scooter’s lightweight cover, just to cover it up while parked... do you think that it would be OK to do that?

5 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Thank you, John.

I will be cruising with Azamara in an inside wheelchair cabin for two b2b cruises before arriving in Sydney. The cabin lay-out is a bit irregularly shaped, but will accommodate the scooter easily I think.
I’m really looking forward to it! 

I would imagine you will have plenty of room in that cabin.. I have never used a weelchair cabin but sometime have had a suite as their are three of us with my scooter and the MILs walker ,its a bit tight in a standard cabin but we have not had too many problems

Regards

John

3 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

John, if you were to scoot around Melbourne for a day, where would you go and what would you go see?

Is it safe to park a scooter outside a shop or restaurant door?

I was thinking of taking my scooter’s lightweight cover, just to cover it up while parked... do you think that it would be OK to do that?

In the restaurant drive to your table and they will take your scooter out and bring it back to you after your meal .. outside shops and theaters or public spaces is not an issue I would not bother with the cover just more to carry and  you will be able to take the scooter into disabled toilets or park outside normal ones in public areas if required ... the only issue is that you may have to wait for a lift at busy times ....also I have found no issues taking my scooter ashore on the tenders ... ohh sometimes the gangplanks can be steep which is FUN ! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VK3DQ said:

In the restaurant drive to your table and they will take your scooter out and bring it back to you after your meal .. outside shops and theaters or public spaces is not an issue I would not bother with the cover just more to carry and  you will be able to take the scooter into disabled toilets or park outside normal ones in public areas if required ... the only issue is that you may have to wait for a lift at busy times ....also I have found no issues taking my scooter ashore on the tenders ... ohh sometimes the gangplanks can be steep which is FUN ! 

14 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

I

Station pier in Melbourne will be on if its not raining 

You can take your scooter on the tram into town ..look for a low floor tram ...and then trundle around town  almost anywhere you like 

Or you can just trundle along the waterfront area which is quite nice

if its raining ...well stay on the ship .....

I dont go into town very often as I am approx 30 KM Due east of the city , however I do use the train and tram and take my scooter on both for my regular dental checks as I use the undergraduate clinic which offers free of charge treatment on is first class

you can go to Flinders street station and get the train to Belgrave in the Dandenongs about a two hour trip, and thence on the Puffing billy steam train ..but thats a long all day trip 

regards

John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowglobe said:

Thank you John.
We’ll be spending 3 nights staying near the Flinders Street Station, so was hoping to use the tram. 🙂

Just make sure you look for the low floor trams ....trains you go to the very front and the driver will put out a ramp for you ..most of the drivers are very nice with you  if you are staying three days you should be able to get about quite a bit

lots of nice shops and arcades in Melbourne ..look for GOG and MayGog.......

Regards'

John

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, snowglobe said:

I have had good response with Qantas through Facebook messenger if you use that platform.

Cheers Carole

4 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

I have had good response with Qantas through Facebook messenger if you use that platform.

Cheers Carole

Thank you, Carole.

Qantas is the only airline remaining that has not yet approved my scooter. They sent me an e-mail 4 days ago (from special handling) telling me that it was “too tall” for some of my flights from the specs that I had sent them. I reminded them that the scooter can easily be taken apart (as per said specs) and sent a photo of it broken down. No reply since. Total silence from dg@qantas re: the dry cell SLA battery also. I messaged them on Facebook 6 days ago, and thank you for reminding me to try them again.

I really don’t understand why this is so difficult. My Pride Go Go is almost the same as John’s Colibri...