Earning Free Travel

MarkV97703

17 minutes ago, MarkV97703 said:

Does anyone have any experience in starting a travel group in order to earn free travel?  I’m interested in partnering with a river cruise line to market one of their cruises to people in my area.

I assume that you're aware that, among other things, travel agencies do just that (only their "rewards" are primarily commissions). 

Depending on the cruise line (or even some travel agencies), there is probably a minimum number of your own "group" booking that would net you a "freebie." But, if you're talking about being a bona fide "contractor," you may find the personal cost of doing that (particularly in states like California where you'd need to licensed/insured/etc) would far outweigh the value of your "freebie."

That said, many many (many) years ago (e.g., during grad school), I fed my alpine skiing habit by arranging/leading/guiding group ski trips for a variety of entities ranging from a small ski shop in Brooklyn to the Tyrollean Tourist Bureau in Austria. Pay? Freebie travel with the group including everything from airfare to hotels, meals et al.

Would I do it over again (returned to my youth)? NEVER - in today's litigious society.

• Like 1

What you are basically defining is that which is done by a travel agent.  And unless you are a travel agent, they will not likely partner with you to do that independently as most cruise work directly with groups or through TA's to market their product. 

The easiest way to do what you are suggesting is through a TA where they would coordinate the group booking on your behalf and you would be listed as the host.  Or you can contact the cruise line and request to work with their internal group representative and they will handle it directly on your behalf.  "Free" travel for you would be dependent on the final group size booked and the group policies with the river cruise line in question.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What you are basically defining is that which is done by a travel agent.  And unless you are a travel agent, they will not likely partner with you to do that independently as most cruise work directly with groups or through TA's to market their product. 

The easiest way to do what you are suggesting is through a TA where they would coordinate the group booking on your behalf and you would be listed as the host.  Or you can contact the cruise line and request to work with their internal group representative and they will handle it directly on your behalf.  "Free" travel for you would be dependent on the final group size booked and the group policies with the river cruise line in question.

My sister-in-law acted as host for our family a group a few times.  I cannot remember the minimum size of the group, but it was fairly large.   If I recall, she actually did this working through a travel agency.   She always offered to share back the freebie, but we figured she did enough work to keep it, so no big deal.  We still do family group cruises but now everyone just coordinates and books on their own.  Maybe our group isn't big enough or maybe the deals we are getting are just too good.  

All I can really say is I'm more than happy to leave this part of the trip to the experts!  

7 minutes ago, Roz said:

On most ocean cruises, you get a free cabin for every 8 cabins booked.  Don't know the threshold for river cruise lines.

Actually it typically is one person's fare in a double occupancy stateroom for every 8 booked (and that level varies - some programs are higher).  The "free stateroom" would be with 16 booked staterooms based on double occupancy.

But you are correct in that benefit associated with group bookings.  Often the value of that n/c fare would be distributed among all as a 1/16th fare discount if not taken by a single individual on the booking.

Here is a link to information for Viking’s policy:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/referral-rewards.html?_gl=1*1tuy86o*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE1NzI3MDI5OTQuQ01qdzdzS0I4Y0FDRlFvMDdBb2RmUkVBZEE.&_ga=2.147849982.814238747.1572312676-2076644402.1571149651&_gac=1.232560429.1571162598.CMjw7sKB8cACFQo07AodfREAdA

I am sure I read something on their site (somewhere) that was a bit more specific about a person coordinating Group not just referrals but I can’t seem to spot it at the moment.  Just read it a couple of days ago.

Edited by LeRenardrouge

5 hours ago, LeRenardrouge said:

Here is a link to information for Viking’s policy:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/referral-rewards.html?_gl=1*1tuy86o*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE1NzI3MDI5OTQuQ01qdzdzS0I4Y0FDRlFvMDdBb2RmUkVBZEE.&_ga=2.147849982.814238747.1572312676-2076644402.1571149651&_gac=1.232560429.1571162598.CMjw7sKB8cACFQo07AodfREAdA

I am sure I read something on their site (somewhere) that was a bit more specific about a person coordinating Group not just referrals but I can’t seem to spot it at the moment.  Just read it a couple of days ago.

Earning referral credits is not the same thing as coordinating or sponsoring a group (and/or acting as a host) to then earn some form of compensation in free travel, which is what the OP is wanting to do.  The OP is basically wanting to act in the same role as a travel agent but without being one, which the cruise lines are not likely to support.  However, the above linked information you've provided has merit as it is about the closest he may come to that without being a TA.