Sunset from MDR

let's go cruising

We are cruising in January 2020 on the Magic and have chosen the early seating in the MDR. We really prefer the early seating because the late seating is SO late. The only trouble is that we never see a sunset. I don't know if it is where we are sitting, or if all of the windows shades are down in the MDR. I don't even mind if we are seated on the East side! I'd just love to sit and eat and see the sunset from our table.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Renee

20 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

We are cruising in January 2020 on the Magic and have chosen the early seating in the MDR. We really prefer the early seating because the late seating is SO late. The only trouble is that we never see a sunset. I don't know if it is where we are sitting, or if all of the windows shades are down in the MDR. I don't even mind if we are seated on the East side! I'd just love to sit and eat and see the sunset from our table.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Renee

You can also choose any time dining, watch the sunset from your balcony or open deck, and then go to dinner.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

My vote is with Evanbob… I've never been successful with all the distractions of being able to see the sunset from the MDR. From my balcony? Enough to make it a cherished memory!

17 minutes ago, evandbob said:

You can also choose any time dining, watch the sunset from your balcony or open deck, and then go to dinner.  

Those are fair points.  I guess that really is my question.  CAN you ever see the sunset from the MDR? 

Renee

Well- let me just say that one night at dusk on the Magic, we were facing west, and thought, cool! Sunset!  10 minutes later, when we remembered to actually look out the window? Sunset over!

So the answer is, yes, if all the logistics come together (right ship, west facing table, right time etc) then you can see the sunset, if you're not easily distracted by food like we are!

8 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

Those are fair points.  I guess that really is my question.  CAN you ever see the sunset from the MDR? 

Renee

Really depends in which direction the ship is heading and where you are sitting. generally sunset is around 6:30 in the Caribbean. Obviously if the ship is headed east, the sun will be on the bow. 

We recently cruised on the Elation.  We had early dining.  I like to eat in the dining room, so I was there every night.  My biggest disappointment was never seeing a sunset.  I know I could have opted to skip dinner, but I really enjoy that part.  I saw every sunrise, so that made up for it.  We are cruising in March and I chose your time dining for this very reason.  

Here's hoping you have a seat that allows you to see the sunset.

Some of my best memories of my last cruise were sailaways from each island (5pm) and sunsets (appx .6pm).  Start out aft & slowly watch the island disappear.  Head to whichever side was was facing the sun & relax until it dark.  Missed many MDR meals but don’t regret it at all.

18 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Last month on the Vista we had early dining at a table for 2 next to a window. The shades were never down and we saw the sunset 3 times I believe. The shades were never down and sometimes I had the sun in my eyes for a bit before it set.

IMG_20190919_184344851.jpg

I want all of that.

Renee

23 hours ago, coevan said:

Really depends in which direction the ship is heading and where you are sitting. generally sunset is around 6:30 in the Caribbean. Obviously if the ship is headed east, the sun will be on the bow. 

If the ship is sailing East at sunset, wouldn't the sun be setting West and the view would be from the Aft of the ship?

2 hours ago, tandemcruzr said:

If the ship is sailing East at sunset, wouldn't the sun be setting West and the view would be from the Aft of the ship?

duh, of course, misspoke, sorry

The picture above the ship is heading north and they were seated on the port side, correct?