Tender point for Airlie Beach

1 hour ago, Savitore said:

Hi All,

Is anyone able to tell me where Princess tenders too at Airlie Beach.

We tendered to the Abell Point Marina (now known as the Coral Sea Marina) on Diamond Princess but know other ships have tendered at Port of Airlie on the other side of the town from the Marina.

Leigh

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We tendered to the Abell Point Marina (now known as the Coral Sea Marina) on Diamond Princess but know other ships have tendered at Port of Airlie on the other side of the town from the Marina.

Leigh

Thanks Possum52 I haven't been to Airlie Beach since the early 80's it certainly looks different now. Looking at maps Coral Sea Marina would be the better option. 

Cheers Sav

If they change to Coral Sea it makes it a bit closer to walk into town. We are just doing our own thing on each of the ports as we have just done Cairns, and our son was working there for quite some time so we have been to that area to the cape several times. Airlie beach I have not seen since 1983 so i just want to have a look around to check out the changes.

26 minutes ago, Savitore said:

If they change to Coral Sea it makes it a bit closer to walk into town. We are just doing our own thing on each of the ports as we have just done Cairns, and our son was working there for quite some time so we have been to that area to the cape several times. Airlie beach I have not seen since 1983 so i just want to have a look around to check out the changes.

I looked at google maps and it seems it is slightly closer to walk into town from the Port of Airlie. I haven't walked into Airlie from Coral Sea Marina, as we did an excursion. But we were dropped in Airlie after the excursion and I don't think I would want to walk up the hill from the marina. I don't know if you can walk along the beach into town or not but I'm sure others will. 

Leigh

I had read as of July 1st 2019 all cruise ships would tender to Port of Airlie. When we were there in February on Explorer of the Seas, it tendered to Port of Airlie and P&O Aria tendered to Abell Marina (Coral Sea) on the same day.

It wasn’t a good day, pouring rain and very poor visibility, mostly

we couldn’t see the shoreline.  We stayed on the ship. One tender got lost and ended up at Abell Marina and another turned up at the Port of Airlie without any ropes to tie it to the wharf!

Edited by megsie

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

On the several times we have been to Airlie, we have tendered into the Abel Point Marina (now the Coral Sea Marina), but I am not suggesting that is the only option. On our visits, there was a local bus that charged $5 to drop people up the other end of town.

From the Marina there is a boardwalk around the base of the hill that leads into town. Its an easy and very pleasant seaside walk into the town.

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

From the Marina there is a boardwalk around the base of the hill that leads into town. Its an easy and very pleasant seaside walk into the town.

Thanks David, I thought there was a boardwalk but as I haven;t walked it I wasn't 100% sure.

Leigh

As the cruise ships now tender to Port of Airlie as of 1st July. There is a walk to the town or a shuttle, $5 pay on the bus. 

The Port of Airlie is on the opposite end of town to the previously used Abell or Coral marina.