Sky Princess

LAS!!1414

2 hours ago, LAS!!1414 said:

Heard that there is NoRovirus on the Sky -- can anyone onboard confirm ???? 

It was already reported a couple of days ago.  So yep, looks like heightened hygiene protocols will be in place for at least this and the next leg of their schedule.  

1 minute ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

They say it is brought onboard by passengers.

I haven't heard whether it was diagnosed as actual Noro or is simply one of those stomach bugs that go around frequently.

I've had Noro.  It ripped through my family in less than 24 hours after exposure and nearly required hospitalization for a couple of them.  I find it difficult to believe that it suddenly just appears in the middle of several sea days cruise.

My personal opinion is that it may come in with items brought in from port or is cross contamination in some other way.  If it wasn't possible they wouldn't disinfect terminals and constantly wiping surfaces on the ship.

Noro is fast and mean and infects a LOT of people too fast to stop the spread.  Like one of those ships in the Caribbean that was refused entry because of the number of active infections on board.  That was medically diagnosed as Noro.  It is just as easy for a crewmember to pick it up on share and bring it aboard as it is for a passenger to do it.

1 hour ago, mamkmm2 said:

I haven't heard whether it was diagnosed as actual Noro or is simply one of those stomach bugs that go around frequently.

I've had Noro.  It ripped through my family in less than 24 hours after exposure and nearly required hospitalization for a couple of them.  I find it difficult to believe that it suddenly just appears in the middle of several sea days cruise.

My personal opinion is that it may come in with items brought in from port or is cross contamination in some other way.  If it wasn't possible they wouldn't disinfect terminals and constantly wiping surfaces on the ship.

Noro is fast and mean and infects a LOT of people too fast to stop the spread.  Like one of those ships in the Caribbean that was refused entry because of the number of active infections on board.  That was medically diagnosed as Noro.  It is just as easy for a crewmember to pick it up on share and bring it aboard as it is for a passenger to do it.

You can carry it for several days to a week before becoming ill, base on my experience. Depends on the strain. I've gotten blessed with in 36 hours of exposure once, and a full week later another time (thought I had dodged the bullet, but nope).
No one who's actively sick is likely to have made it aboard, given how miserable you are when you have it. 

7 hours ago, dogdoc2002 said:

You can carry it for several days to a week before becoming ill, base on my experience. Depends on the strain. I've gotten blessed with in 36 hours of exposure once, and a full week later another time (thought I had dodged the bullet, but nope).
No one who's actively sick is likely to have made it aboard, given how miserable you are when you have it. 

There are other bugs similar to Noro that take almost a week, but Noro usually shows up before 48 hours and is by far the most common.

15 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

I read a different story (and may have missed the one you are referring to), but thought the ship was refused entry because of measles.  

On my last cruise, I asked why we didn't have to fill out the "sick" form any longer.  The agent told me that no one told the truth anyway.  

16 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

Ships do not have the equipment to determine if the causation is the norovirus. Samples need to be sent to a place such as the CDC for testing.

So the best the ship can announce is that there are cases of gastrointestinal illness.