Can I transfer a cruise

Caymus88

12 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

I have a paid cruise. Because of health I may not be able to go

no insurance. Can I transfer it to my brother?

I’m sorry to hear you may not be able to go because of health.  Without having cancellation insurance either private or cancel for any reason through HAL, I doubt you’d be able to transfer it to your brother.

I assume it’s past final payment?

The original question hasn't been answered, though.  If it is possible to change the name of the person who has booked a cabin to another person, then the brother's cabin could be sold or given to another person.  Since it is past final payment, even if the brother moved to the OP's cabin, he would lose what he has paid for his cabin.  There should be a workaround for this.

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The original question hasn't been answered, though.  If it is possible to change the name of the person who has booked a cabin to another person, then the brother's cabin could be sold or given to another person.  Since it is past final payment, even if the brother moved to the OP's cabin, he would lose what he has paid for his cabin.  There should be a workaround for this.

I don't know about HAL but Royal requires one of the passengers in the cabin go on the cruise, there is no "resale" market. That why I suggested the brother moving in with the sister, the sister no showing which should get port fees and excursion and onboard purchases back.

Some credit cards cover situations like this and if it was used to purchase the cruise they may have travel insurance they aren't aware of.

When I booked the cruise I took last May there was a strong possibility I would have to cancel for work reasons so I bought a cancel for work reasons policy and insured  the cruise.

11 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

The original question hasn't been answered, though.  If it is possible to change the name of the person who has booked a cabin to another person, then the brother's cabin could be sold or given to another person.

As per HAL terms and conditions - cruise contracts are not transferable. Name changes require their permission - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-policy.html

11 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Since it is past final payment, even if the brother moved to the OP's cabin, he would lose what he has paid for his cabin.  There should be a workaround for this.

There is a workaround which unfortunately the OP did not avail themselves of - it’s called insurance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Just hearsay but often I book solo as the husband or sister hasn’t committed. I am told I able to add a person up to 10 days prior to sailing.   Maybe add him as your roommate then no show on the lesser cabin?

In that case, wouldn't the added person have to pay the full fare to be added to the cabin?

2 hours ago, caribill said:

In that case, wouldn't the added person have to pay the full fare to be added to the cabin?

Yes but it depends on what the original pricing was anyway.  Some solo fares are not much less than a double. 

On 11/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, kazu said:

As per HAL terms and conditions - cruise contracts are not transferable. Name changes require their permission - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-policy.html

There is a workaround which unfortunately the OP did not avail themselves of - it’s called insurance.

For anyone who travels with some frequency, I don't understand why they don't have one of a number of credit cards that offer travel insurance.  If there is a fee for these cards, it is more than offset by the cost of insurance and whatever other perks the cards may provide.

• Like 1