Unexpected / Undocumented DIamond perks

ChrisNCruiser

After 21 years of cruising exclusively with Carnival since I was 28, last May I finally crawled over 200 nights to Diamond VIFP status. My first Diamond cruise was a six-night out of Norfolk on the second sailing of the Sunrise; while the service was as great as I've always come to enjoy with Carnival, I didn't notice (or expect) anything else out of the ordinary that would reflect my shiny new status (i.e. above and beyond Carnival's documented Diamond benefits). I was invited to a tea service with the captain along with a handful of other Diamonds, but only received the invite a couple of hours before the event (and while I was out of the cabin), so I wasn't able to make it, and wasn't pressed about it.

Yesterday, I returned from my second Diamond cruise - a five nighter in a porthole cabin on the Valor (fantastic price). As with my first Diamond cruise, I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary. However, in addition to the expected great service I always receive with Carnival, I was surprised and delighted by a couple of small tokens of appreciation that I wasn't expecting:  

- a handwritten postcard of the valor by the cruise Director, Kevin Donohue (and two cupcakes from the Coffee bar)

- a printed "you met the captain!" picture delivered to my room the day after the diamond get-together.

In addition, we seemed to get premium tables by the window during Your Time dining and Brunch without having to ask or wait (which could have been luck or coincidence), and the Maitre D came over and talked with me a couple of times. Also, the Diamond Get Together was pretty awesome - it lasted about an hour, was attended by 11 Diamonds (and a plus one for each), was hosted by the captain and several of the ship's officers, and included a surprisingly larger and tastier variety of hors d'ouvres (including small desserts) than what are provided during the Platinum and Diamond party. (Drink service and options were better too - no rail cocktails or Andre',  and made or poured to order).

I will not expect these unexpected gestures on future cruises, but would certainly appreciate them. Have any other Diamonds out there received or experienced anything they weren't expecting?

By the way - I loved  my first time on the Valor - an oldie but a goodie - and I really appreciated the consistently great and friendly service I received throughout the ship. (However, the less said about Pregreso, the better 😉 )

Edited by newpherchris
wording
  • Like 5

I just had my first Diamond sailing on Sunshine on 10/26.  No Diamond luggage tags, but I did get a $50 spa gift card.  No notation on it.  I thought it might have been from my TA but I asked her the other day and it wasn't from her.  And it wasn't because my birthday (that's in a couple of weeks).  Just looking at the Diamond "perks" on the website today and it mentioned a one-time gift on the initial Diamond sailing, so that's the only thing I can think of!

We had 97 Diamonds on our sailing, so the Diamond brunch wasn't terribly "special".  I thought there was a separate Diamond party.  Sailing on a 4-night next month so we'll see what that's like since I expect there to only be a handful of Diamonds.

3 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I just had my first Diamond sailing on Sunshine on 10/26.  No Diamond luggage tags, but I did get a $50 spa gift card.  No notation on it.  I thought it might have been from my TA but I asked her the other day and it wasn't from her.  And it wasn't because my birthday (that's in a couple of weeks).  Just looking at the Diamond "perks" on the website today and it mentioned a one-time gift on the initial Diamond sailing, so that's the only thing I can think of!

We had 97 Diamonds on our sailing, so the Diamond brunch wasn't terribly "special".  I thought there was a separate Diamond party.  Sailing on a 4-night next month so we'll see what that's like since I expect there to only be a handful of Diamonds.

4 night cruises do not always have the special parties....

Diamond recognition events vary widely by the ship and staff.  Our worst one was on the Legend held mid-morning in the Firebird (front) lounge with about 50 guests and only 4 servers serving coffee, tea, and breakfast rolls.  There were no bar servers and no officers present.  Most often the event is held mid to late afternoon in a lounge with hors d'oeuvres and drinks with the captain and senior officers.  Sometimes, when there are a large number of Diamonds, a lunch will be held in the Steakhouse.  Your best chance for "extra" perks is when there are very few Diamonds, typically short cruises on older ships.  On one cruise, DW was the only Diamond and she was invited to dine with the captain and a few officers.  Twice, we have received the invitation after the event was over, so we have learned to check with Guest Services early in the cruise to find out when the event is scheduled.

We had a Diamond "brunch" at noon on the first sea day.  Heads of departments were there to greet us and we all had an individual photo taken with the Captain.  They had those developed and passed them out to us before we finished eating.  Mimosas, bloody Marys, wine, anything else you wanted to drink; lots of bar servers wandering around.

So, I guess that's what we had instead of a party, per se.

I won't be expecting much on my 4-night sailing, then.  Don't have anything else booked on Carnival until my Legend B2B Med/TA next October and I know there will probably be hundreds of Diamonds on those.

I just want my luggage tags! 😉

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I won't be expecting much on my 4-night sailing, then. 

I saw a Diamond couple on a 4 day cruise aboard the Inspiration enjoying a special tea with the captain. He gave them his undivided attention and seemed to be enjoying their company and they his. I assumed they were the only Diamond members aboard as the table along the promenade where they were seated was the only table set for the occasion. People passing were curious who the " celebrities " were to receive such a gracious host. 

28 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I saw a Diamond couple on a 4 day cruise aboard the Inspiration enjoying a special tea with the captain. He gave them his undivided attention and seemed to be enjoying their company and they his. I assumed they were the only Diamond members aboard as the table along the promenade where they were seated was the only table set for the occasion. People passing were curious who the " celebrities " were to receive such a gracious host. 

We have had close to the same thing on the Pride with one other couple.  It is my opinion that this Diamond perk is the best, having these informal discussions, IMHO is a great perk, here are no pressures and the conversation is loose and animated.  

Make sure you contact the Milestone's Desk at 877-CCL-VIPS for the Milestone Rewards Program.

"The program denotes a guest’s 25th, 50th 75th and 100th revenue cruise with Carnival.  Guests will receive a special Milestone Sail & Sign card on their corresponding Milestone cruise.  We want to distinguish guests on their Milestone sailing with a unique card so that we can make his/her Milestone experience extra special and memorable.  After this milestone cruise, they will revert to the card that corresponds to their VIFP level. In appreciation for their loyalty, the guest will also be granted the opportunity to redeem a future non-refundable onboard credit equivalent to 25%, 50% or 75% of the cruise ticket price, corresponding to the milestone reached. And when a guest reaches his/her 100th cruise, will qualify for a FREE Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska or Australia cruise of their choice (8 days or less, for 2 guests), in accommodations up to and including Ocean Suites (category OS). This onboard credit may be applied to any future cruise in accordance with the terms and conditions...."  

8 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Why?? VIFP status is completely unrelated to the Milestone program.

Correct - it was only listed as an FYI....if you've got 200 days under your belt the chances that you've got 25 cruises done are good and my understanding is Carnival hasn't been quick to remind you that you are entitled to additional perks (unless you ask).  

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4
  • Like 1

My TA called the Diamond Desk and whomever she spoke to said she'd make a note for my upcoming 12/12 sailing that I did not receive them.  Apparently, I was also supposed to receive a letter in my cabin explaining the Diamond perks.

I've since printed out the perks list from the website and will keep it with my other cruise docs. 

Isn't there also a separate Diamond line to call the service desk?  Diamond & Platinum?  I swear I've used that # in the past but couldn't find anything in the cabin or on my docs.  I need to make a note of that, too, in case nothing shows up.  There were so many Plat/Diamond on that last sailing that I didn't want to go hang out in line.

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

My TA called the Diamond Desk and whomever she spoke to said she'd make a note for my upcoming 12/12 sailing that I did not receive them.  Apparently, I was also supposed to receive a letter in my cabin explaining the Diamond perks.

I've since printed out the perks list from the website and will keep it with my other cruise docs. 

Isn't there also a separate Diamond line to call the service desk?  Diamond & Platinum?  I swear I've used that # in the past but couldn't find anything in the cabin or on my docs.  I need to make a note of that, too, in case nothing shows up.  There were so many Plat/Diamond on that last sailing that I didn't want to go hang out in line.

Diamond desk 855-386-8437

I finally turned Diamond on the Vista back in April (cruising with Carnival since 1991).  I received the letter with the dinner for 2 at the Steakhouse and the luggage tags.  My wife turned Diamond on the Inspiration that month too and they didn't have anything in the cabin for her.  We ended up asking Guest services during debarkation to get her gifts.

Thanks, but is there a separate on-ship line to call from the cabin?

To be honest, I completely forgot about the luggage tags when I was on Sunshine (and that was just about the only Diamond perk I was looking forward to). 😋  

Since I'm almost always solo these days, wouldn't it be nice if they allowed me to dine solo in the steakhouse twice?  Why should a couple get two meals but I only get one.  Just another way solo cruisers get screwed.  The one that really annoys me is how a solo pays more than 50% of what a couple pays for a spa pass.  They really need to stop discriminating against us, especially when we're paying 200%!!

OK, mini-rant over! 🤐

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Thanks, but is there a separate on-ship line to call from the cabin?

To be honest, I completely forgot about the luggage tags when I was on Sunshine (and that was just about the only Diamond perk I was looking forward to). 😋  

Since I'm almost always solo these days, wouldn't it be nice if they allowed me to dine solo in the steakhouse twice?  Why should a couple get two meals but I only get one.  Just another way solo cruisers get screwed.  The one that really annoys me is how a solo pays more than 50% of what a couple pays for a spa pass.  They really need to stop discriminating against us, especially when we're paying 200%!!

OK, mini-rant over! 🤐

Def do not want this to go off track, but the reason is it is per person, not a factor as to how much you paid.  For the record, I think the solo rates are prohibitive.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, jimbo5544 said:

We have had close to the same thing on the Pride with one other couple.  It is my opinion that this Diamond perk is the best, having these informal discussions, IMHO is a great perk, here are no pressures and the conversation is loose and animated.  

I've had several conversations with Carnival Captains re our Italian grandmothers and their homemade recipes, always fun!

On 11/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, barbatkins said:

4 night cruises do not always have the special parties....

We sail the 3 & 4 day cruises out of Long Beach several times a year.  Have Diamond friends who do also.  We've always had some sort of Diamond gathering- Brunch, Dinner, or PreDinner Cocktails.  Depends on the Captain and how many other Diamonds are onboard.  

I expected there to only be a few Diamonds on my upcoming 4-night sailing, so I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of "gathering" we'll have.  I'm sure it will be rather different from what I just experienced on Sunshine and what it will be like on the B2B Med/TA on Legend.

3 hours ago, SadieN said:

We sail the 3 & 4 day cruises out of Long Beach several times a year.  Have Diamond friends who do also.  We've always had some sort of Diamond gathering- Brunch, Dinner, or PreDinner Cocktails.  Depends on the Captain and how many other Diamonds are onboard.  

We too sail on the 3 day cruises out of Long Beach frequently (we live 50 min from the port).  Not too many Diamond guests usually.  We have had Tea on the Bridge or cocktails in the Avant Garde lounge or the Piano bar...