My View: Family of the Seas takes on Harmony...again (Semi-live)

APDMOM

4 hours ago, APDMOM said:

I upgraded from iPhone 6 to XR this year and I am amazed at the quality of the camera.

I went from a iPhone 6S to the new 11 Pro Max and the camera is amazing. It's even better now with the new OS upgrade that has better algorithms.

• Like 1

Anxious to hear about your day in Costa Maya.  We are still trying to decide (as a group) what to do in this port.  Hubs and I have been here twice before, years ago, did the ruins (which we really enjoyed).  The port area looks a bit different than last time we visited.  Those elevated walkways, what is that?  Is there a cost?  Know anything about that pyramid/water slide thing in the distance?  I really need to get over to the CM board and do some reading!

Edited by Ren1216
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ren1216 said:

Anxious to hear about your day in Costa Maya.  We are still trying to decide (as a group) what to do in this port.  Hubs and I have been here twice before, years ago, did the ruins (which we really enjoyed).  The port area looks a bit different than last time we visited.  Those elevated walkways, what is that?  Is there a cost?  Know anything about that pyramid/water slide thing in the distance?  I really need to get over to the CM board and do some reading!

We have done the Mayan Kingdom (pyramid/water slide thing) a few times.  They have various slides, zipline, zip coaster, lazy river and pool.  It has never been that busy when we have gone so no lines, quite appreciate that after a few days on a cruise ship.  There is an elevator in the pyramid to get to the water slides and zips, so the only stairs are on the towers connecting the zipline runs.  Only thing missing was a hot tub as one time it was on one of the coldest days they have seen down there and we froze our butts off.  Other than that we always enjoyed our day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IceChick said:

We have done the Mayan Kingdom (pyramid/water slide thing) a few times.  They have various slides, zipline, zip coaster, lazy river and pool.  It has never been that busy when we have gone so no lines, quite appreciate that after a few days on a cruise ship.  There is an elevator in the pyramid to get to the water slides and zips, so the only stairs are on the towers connecting the zipline runs.  Only thing missing was a hot tub as one time it was on one of the coldest days they have seen down there and we froze our butts off.  Other than that we always enjoyed our day.

Interesting --  thanks so much for that info!  I'll look into it, sounds like it will appeal to some in our group.

Sorry for the long delay in posting!  I am now 2 days behind, and it seems I will have to complete a majority of this review when I get home.  It has been very frustrating to try to post, because I keep getting this error message on CC.  Does anyone know why?  When it happens, I have to forget the network, clear cookies and history, reconnect to the wifi,  and then it will work for a couple of posts just to happen again.  

CC5BC5F2-61D9-4EE6-AA7F-8220895C36B5.thumb.png.b98667ca9cf670b14bb462f50e20bc67.png

13 hours ago, Ren1216 said:

@Ren1216 I am glad to see others are already stepping in to answer your questions.  We have never done an excursion in Costa Maya, so I cannot really help you.  It is a remote port, so it seems like it is one of those ports you have to plan ahead and book a tour (with ship or private).

Headliner Show: MO5AIC

Just WOW!  Very entertaining, incredibly talented!  Although I am not a fan of their harmonies, the performance was stunning.  I am so glad we caught them on our cruise.

309D6D3E-33C4-4EE3-99FA-9677605AC757.thumb.jpeg.1d7114cd50b95f95ab4630b900943189.jpeg

34943D84-91DB-4173-ADA1-5C47A98AC200.thumb.jpeg.7d22fc16088473c029dfd168ce09e80a.jpeg

2880D1B4-1F16-4772-96CA-9300FBC39BE0.thumb.jpeg.2aafe194f909bbb904b49435d3187617.jpeg

CB27198A-8DD8-42E9-8BEA-AC3AC013BBC2.thumb.jpeg.1f0ca8d2ae8380b49425ab5702879857.jpeg

92B69528-BF3C-4C36-8CC4-13CA7538D02E.thumb.jpeg.b7a5adf05eba487239d8504719bff033.jpeg

On 11/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, cidymom said:

To ADPMOM - I just finished your last Harmony review and have made notes of your tips for our Harmony cruise next year.  When you have time or if you pass by the Vitality Cafe, can you see what food options they have there and the opening times.  I'll be on Deck 6 and thought it would be convenient for breakfast if they have oatmeal.  Thanks so much!

@cidymom Vitality Spa Café is open from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. every day.  They seem to always have the same offerings.  I went there early one morning and just after lunch.  They have free snacks, including two kinds of sandwiches (one vegetarian), two kinds of fruit cups, and two kinds of bread.  

Paid offerings are:5E0B1C24-01B5-4C99-86D6-876C099969C7.thumb.jpeg.cb66bd5defecea968452fed3a54c8e34.jpeg

25 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

How is the free text feature on Harmony?   Only Harmony and Allure currently have it.

Unfortunately, it is not very functional.  If you only have the free wifi, you get kicked off if you are inactive for a while.  You messages can only be delivered and read by the receiving party if they have the free wifi on and the app open.  We have sent about 14 messages, and only 2 of them sent my parents a notification.  So, they often only read the message hours after we send them.  

The other sad thing is that Royal has figured out how to end the free texting among iPhones via the free wifi.  So, we are back to Post It notes for communication in our family 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

Unfortunately, it is not very functional.  If you only have the free wifi, you get kicked off if you are inactive for a while.  You messages can only be delivered and read by the receiving party if they have the free wifi on and the app open.  We have sent about 14 messages, and only 2 of them sent my parents a notification.  So, they often only read the message hours after we send them.  

The other sad thing is that Royal has figured out how to end the free texting among iPhones via the free wifi.  So, we are back to Post It notes for communication in our family 😂

Couldn't everyone set a reminder every hour to look at messages (after turning on wifi and opening the app)? 

What next ...  Maybe tin cans and a lot of string!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Headliner Show: MO5AIC

Just WOW!  Very entertaining, incredibly talented!  Although I am not a fan of their harmonies, the performance was stunning.  I am so glad we caught them on our cruise.

309D6D3E-33C4-4EE3-99FA-9677605AC757.thumb.jpeg.1d7114cd50b95f95ab4630b900943189.jpeg

They were on Ovation with us in August. We don't usually go to shows, but they caught my attention when I walked by the theater.  I agree that they are entertaining.  I would have enjoyed watching that entire show if my family wasn't waiting on me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, APDMOM said:

@cidymom Vitality Spa Café is open from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. every day.  They seem to always have the same offerings.  I went there early one morning and just after lunch.  They have free snacks, including two kinds of sandwiches (one vegetarian), two kinds of fruit cups, and two kinds of bread.  

Do you have to purchase anything to get the complimentary items?

Thanks again for taking the time from your precious cruise vacation to post!  Your pictures are stunning.  I have a Nikon as well.  I'm thinking of bringing it on the cruise with me, but it's so heavy.  What lens are you using.  I'm thinking of purchasing new ones since I'm only using the standard ones that came with the camera, but are not very good.  

(I colored my questions to make it easier for you ...lol)

7 hours ago, APDMOM said:

This is a bummer for those expecting to use this feature.... which was what we were planning to do until we nabbed a good rate on the 4-device Voom.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Sorry for the long delay in posting!  I am now 2 days behind, and it seems I will have to complete a majority of this review when I get home.  It has been very frustrating to try to post, because I keep getting this error message on CC.  Does anyone know why?  When it happens, I have to forget the network, clear cookies and history, reconnect to the wifi,  and then it will work for a couple of posts just to happen again.  

CC5BC5F2-61D9-4EE6-AA7F-8220895C36B5.thumb.png.b98667ca9cf670b14bb462f50e20bc67.png

I’ve been getting the same message all too often lately - and I’m at home on my home WiFi. 

Too bad bad the free WiFi texting doesn’t seem to be working any more. Then again, getting DH to text even at home is unlikely. I doubt I’d be able to get him to be logged in to the free WiFi on the ship and manage to text on the ship! 😱

Your son looks like he’s growing up fast! I see a big difference in him from your last cruise.  The picture of him with your parents is a beautiful picture. 😀

Edited by perfect match
Typo
  • Like 1