Viking River Cruise September or October where should we go?

Cruiseoholic000

I did the Danube and Rhone in October. The weather and lack of crowds was wonderful. We did have a bit of rain but that didn't bother us. Loved the cooler weather. Both trips were fantastic and we added pre and post cruise stays with Viking which we loved. I loved both rivers equally.

Edited by dolllover
  • Like 1

Cities of Lights - Paris to Prague. Paris speaks for itself. The new itinerary stops at Reims Cathedral. The Moselle river is charming as are the towns along the Main River. Heidelberg, Wurzburg, and Rothenburg and not to be missed. Everyone should visit Prague at least once in their lifetime. It's beautiful.

• Like 1

Douro in Portugal.  We did this one in October and the weather was great!  In my opinion, the Douro was way more spectacular than the Rhine.  All the sailing is done in daylight because of the locks.  The ports of call are not as good as on the Rhine , however, Salamanca is a must see. 

• Like 1

There are several other lines I would suggest researching. Viking has the best name recognition. You may want to seek out other lines and compare prices and itineraries as you are still in the beginning stages of planning. There are also some books that compare different lines. Maybe read some on this board and request some brochures.

Some on this board love Viking and some will never go on Viking.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We loved our Viking Danube, this year we did Crystal Rhine and it was slightly less$$....BUT 100% better in every catagory......Look at Crystal Danube, and you are smart to pick Sept or October.....that is when we travel to Europe!!

2 hours ago, caripoo said:

We loved our Viking Danube, this year we did Crystal Rhine and it was slightly less$$....BUT 100% better in every catagory......Look at Crystal Danube, and you are smart to pick Sept or October.....that is when we travel to Europe!!

Once I traveled to Europe in the fall, I never looked back.  Cooler temps for touring, and less crowded.

• Like 1

We wanted to do the same thing for next October with the intention of visiting Barcelona (we both read Dan Brown's "Origin"). We decided to do the Viking Lyon & Provence (Lyon to Avignon), take the train to Barcelona for 4 days and then do the Iconic Western Med on Viking Sun. If we're traveling half-way around the world, we don't want to just do one week. 

Would love to have a few more folks on the boat/ship.

Peter

13 hours ago, Roz said:

Once I traveled to Europe in the fall, I never looked back.  Cooler temps for touring, and less crowded.

This is also when we choose to travel - shoulder seasons (May or October) offer us a much more comfortable experience without the hassle of hordes of tourists and uncomfortably hot conditions. We completed a Danube river cruise (began toward the end of October and ended November 4) - loved the cruise & we enjoyed the ports visited. We always prepare for inclement weather conditions by packing waterproof rain coat & shoes but, fortunately, experienced no rain on this particular cruise (although we did experience on day of rain on our pre-cruise 7 day stay in Munich - no problem as we were prepared).

We have a Mekong cruise scheduled for this December.

Edited by dogs4fun

On 11/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, dolllover said:

I did the Danube and Rhone in October. The weather and lack of crowds was wonderful. We did have a bit of rain but that didn't bother us. Loved the cooler weather. Both trips were fantastic and we added pre and post cruise stays with Viking which we loved. I loved both rivers equally.

What cruise is that?

51 minutes ago, dolllover said:

We did on Viking's Romantic Danube and Lyon and Provence cruises. That's how they were listed on the website.

D'oh! I was looking for ONE cruise that did both... Thank you for straightening me out!

And I assumed you did them back-to-back, but maybe not?

Edited by What was that?
Add question?