Disembarking mid-itinerary?

calliopecruiser

20 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I am looking to find a way to cruise to Israel, and as far as I have found, Israel ports are always mid-itinerary and not the disembarkation port.  Is it possible to get approval to disembark early?   I'm trying to plan a way to Israel that does not require airplane travel. 

If you find a way,post it here.I have never found a way.

Oceania has a 12 day cruise from Venice to Haifa in Oct 2020 on the Sirena. Regent also has a 10 day cruise from Istanbul to Haifa in March 2021. Salamis cruises have short cruises from Cyprus to Israel periodically. Marella also has 1 week cruises from Limassol Cyprus that stop in Israel before returning to Cyprus.  Mano cruises is an Israeli line that has RT cruises to Europe.

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

I am looking to find a way to cruise to Israel, and as far as I have found, Israel ports are always mid-itinerary and not the disembarkation port.  Is it possible to get approval to disembark early?   I'm trying to plan a way to Israel that does not require airplane travel. 

Generally, if you wish to disembark a cruise prior to the final port, you must arrange it with the cruise line before departing.  Often it's not allowed.  And, if it is, you still pay for the whole cruise.

56 minutes ago, 5bagspacked said:

Oceania has a 12 day cruise from Venice to Haifa in Oct 2020 on the Sirena. Regent also has a 10 day cruise from Istanbul to Haifa in March 2021. Salamis cruises have short cruises from Cyprus to Israel periodically. Marella also has 1 week cruises from Limassol Cyprus that stop in Israel before returning to Cyprus.  Mano cruises is an Israeli line that has RT cruises to Europe.

There is also MSC Opera sailing from Rome to Haifa on 12/11/2019.  There seem to be two or three a year ending at Haifa.  Give Israel’s security consciousness, it may be difficult to arrange early departure from other sailings, but OP could certainly ask any line he is thinking of sailing.

Of course, unless immigration is intended, getting out by ship should also be considered - but the ships whose itineraries end at Haifa must be going somewhere else.

18 hours ago, 5bagspacked said:

The OP stated looking for a cruise not involving flying.She or he lives in Toronto.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The OP stated looking for a cruise not involving flying.She or he lives in Toronto.

I included the Cyprus cruises as there is a ferry from Turkey to Cyprus - definitely not the most expedient way to get to Israel but possibly an option. 

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Easy (well, at least doable) : train from Toronto to New York, QM 2 from New York to Southampton, Bus or train from Southampton to London, Eurostar from London to Paris (or ferry from Southampton to Cherbourg and train from Cherbourg to Paris),  train from Paris to Rome, then MSC Opera from Rome to Haifa.

Better yet: bite the damn bullet and fly.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Easy (well, at least doable) : train from Toronto to New York, QM 2 from New York to Southampton, Bus or train from Southampton to London, Eurostar from London to Paris (or ferry from Southampton to Cherbourg and train from Cherbourg to Paris),  train from Paris to Rome, then MSC Opera from Rome to Haifa.

Better yet: bite the damn bullet and fly.

I could not do that either.I cannot fly or be on a train .I did not believe that one could travel to Israel without flying.I was just curious to see if perhaps someone came up with something.

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I could not do that either.I cannot fly or be on a train .I did not believe that one could travel to Israel without flying.I was just curious to see if perhaps someone came up with something.

However this thread is not about you. It is about the OP, who did not mention any travel exclusions other than flying. Navybankerteachers itinerary would work, even though it would be very time consuming. It would also be possible to sail from Southampton to either the Eastern or Western Mediterranean. And then connect to a 3rd ship sailing to Israel. However this would be even more time consuming, and certainly more expensive than just taking trains.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

NavyBankerTeacher came up with an option that may work very well for the opening poster.

A transatlantic to Europe. Then making your way to Venice for the cruise to Haifa.  Once in Europe, you can drive to the next port. It will take time, and money, but it is totally possible.

59 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Once in Europe, you can drive to the next port. It will take time, and money, but it is totally possible.

Yep. Just for giggles, I looked this up. Hamburg to Venice , according to Google is a bit over 1,330 km and an estimated driving time (and Google always seems to underestimate this) of 14 hours. Factor in gas and tolls, and the VERY high surcharge for dropping off a car in a different country. 

3 hours ago, mom says said:

However this thread is not about you. It is about the OP, who did not mention any travel exclusions other than flying. Navybankerteachers itinerary would work, even though it would be very time consuming. It would also be possible to sail from Southampton to either the Eastern or Western Mediterranean. And then connect to a 3rd ship sailing to Israel. However this would be even more time consuming, and certainly more expensive than just taking trains.

Nothing is about me.I said to the OP if she or he finds a way to travel to Israel without flying I would be interested in reading it.

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

NavyBankerTeacher came up with an option that may work very well for the opening poster.

A transatlantic to Europe. Then making your way to Venice for the cruise to Haifa.  Once in Europe, you can drive to the next port. It will take time, and money, but it is totally possible.

That is correct.

22 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Generally, if you wish to disembark a cruise prior to the final port, you must arrange it with the cruise line before departing.  Often it's not allowed. 

So are you saying that the ship will hold you against your will if you decide to disembark before the final port.

54 minutes ago, mom says said:

Yep. Just for giggles, I looked this up. Hamburg to Venice , according to Google is a bit over 1,330 km and an estimated driving time (and Google always seems to underestimate this) of 14 hours. Factor in gas and tolls, and the VERY high surcharge for dropping off a car in a different country. 

If one gave themself a week to do this drive, it could be a really interesting road trip.

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

So are you saying that the ship will hold you against your will if you decide to disembark before the final port.

The ship might not care as much as the country which you may have entered illegally.  You can always walk off at a port of call - but a lot of countries do not welcome folks who just show up without entry papers, visa, or whatever. 

I cannot help thinking that Israel, in particular, given the realities they face, would let people just drop in without immigration processing — which is unlikely to take place at a port of call.

Edited by navybankerteacher

12 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Flying is not an option, for medical reasons.   A long road trip from England to Italy is an option, but not nearly as comfortable as a cruise ship 😉

Not seeking sensitive personal information -  but I am curious as to what medical condition makes flying not an option - particularly when somewhat cramped confinement in a car for much longer periods is possible.

29 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

but I am curious as to what medical condition makes flying not an option - particularly when somewhat cramped confinement in a car for much longer periods is possible.

The problem is about the drop in air pressure and the lower oxygen levels in the cabin, not the physical confinement of the flight. 

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The ship might not care as much as the country which you may have entered illegally.  You can always walk off at a port of call - but a lot of countries do not welcome folks who just show up without entry papers, visa, or whatever. 

I cannot help thinking that Israel, in particular, given the realities they face, would let people just drop in without immigration processing — which is unlikely to take place at a port of call.

I am well aware of those conditions, such as visas and and any entry papers if required. My question is just for the ship, not the country.

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

I am well aware of those conditions, such as visas and and any entry papers if required. My question is just for the ship, not the country.

The two are necessarily interconnected. What the ship does will, in large part, depend upon what the country does.

The ship will never hold you against your will;  however they will certainly add to your shipboard charges any penalty imposed by the country for their being involved in facilitaing (however unwittingly) your illegal, or simply unusual, entry. They probably will not provide porterage to get your luggage ashore.  Additionally, there might conceivably be penalties imposed by country of embarkation (which would also be passed along to you) - especially if it were a closed loop - wherein there would not be any departures or entries to be considered.

They also will not reimburse you for any of your “unused fare”.  They would not be able to rebook the cabin.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not seeking sensitive personal information -  but I am curious as to what medical condition makes flying not an option - particularly when somewhat cramped confinement in a car for much longer periods is possible.

Post traumatic Vertigo.