QM2 on board account question

marco

I believe they may offer (like many merchants) to convert your account to your home currency before running the charge to your credit card, but it will be at an exchange rate of their choosing which is guaranteed to be worse than your own bank's exchange rate plus whatever fees your bank might charge.

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I believe they may offer (like many merchants) to convert your account to your home currency before running the charge to your credit card, but it will be at an exchange rate of their choosing which is guaranteed to be worse than your own bank's exchange rate plus whatever fees your bank might charge.

They cannot automatically do this. They have to ask the customer if he or she wants it to be charged in their home currency. This is like shops in other parts of the world. You are correct the conversion will likely be higher than the credit card pass through, since the merchant gets a negotiated cut of the merchant fee. 

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

As far as my experience Cunard have never "offered" to convert my onboard account at the end of the cruise to UK£ they have always charged it in US$ and then left it to my credit card company to convert at a better rate.

Ditto.