Aurora is Ready for Christmas

Eglesbrech

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

‘Smart’ motorways seem to be far from smart! In fact a recent study found that they cause more problems than they solve, with several people killed each year having broken down in hard shoulders that other motorists have driven down (even with the lane closed symbol) as they are used to doing so at other times. Also, the constantly changing speed limit signs, even when there is no need, seem to me to be contrived to catch people out and generate revenue through fines!

We were lucky with the weather on the first day in Rotterdam and the Zeebrugge day, weren’t we? Blue skies and sunshine are unexpected blessings at this time of year. Agree that the Christmas decorations looked lovely. We haven’t seen a ship decorated for the festive season before, so a nice surprise. 

The door problems that caused the late departure from Cherbourg were another first for us but, as you say, we were still on time in Southampton. Having spent the rest of the cruise at around 10 knots (plus going around in circles once or twice to kill time) we were lucky that the last night was a very short crossing and we could still have got to Southampton on time if we had left at 0030 in the morning. 

We were told that the issues with disembarkation at Mayflower on the return were due to an exceptionally high tide, although I’m surprised that the air bridges aren’t designed to take account of that. As my wife is a wheelchair user, we had to disembark via deck 4 and, even then, it was very steep with three of us needed to hold on to the wheelchair!

For the time of the year the weather was just amazing, we sat out on a terrace overlooking the water in Brugge and enjoyed the sun. The Sunday in Rotterdam was also lovely for walking. We went off to Bayeux and had great weather there too, delighted by it all. We even sat out on the balcony the second sea day.

Calm seas are always a plus in November, the Captain seemed clued up and moved to where the seas were kind while we puttered around.

We left at 7.15 am and the bit we got off at did not even seem to have an airbridge to use, tides or not.  We did not appear to be in the main Mayflower terminal but a bit to the side, same as with Fred Olsen last year.  I had enough trouble with a case far less less trying to get off a passenger in  a wheelchair, that must have been frightening for you.

Still, overall a really nice cruise. I wish I had known you were there and we could have had a drink together -  perhaps next time.

3 hours ago, Lottie A said:

For our cruise departing Southampton on Nov 22nd we didn’t actually leave until about 11 pm ish. This was due to the technicians still working on the faulty fire doors. They were flown in to Gatwick from Italy and had huge delays on the motorway to get to Southampton. Fire doors now fixed! It made no difference really to Aurora’s timings as we still chugged up the Channel at about 10 knots all day yesterday and got to Ijmuiden at about 5:30 am this morning.

Just got back from the Windmills and Edam tour, which I have to say was absolutely excellent, with a very informative Guide. I feel like I could make a fair go at building a water Dyke now! 🤣

Bought some Edam and Gouda cheese, but sadly not the “special cheese” that Andy referred to! 

Off for a late lunch in The Glasshouse now and then Sindhu tonight. The ship is deserted...as almost everyone got the free shuttle bus to Amsterdam this morning. Just how I like it! 
Some pix of Edam town. 

6600DAFA-DFAF-41E1-B3B2-9C8C3B508DDF.jpeg

D7B288B5-BB92-4B6A-96BB-66D10AE07877.jpeg

F93B2126-1D36-44E6-BF02-B7CE5D12FD68.jpeg

Looks beautiful 

Andy 

20 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry meant to quote Lottie! Don't know how that happened!!

We went on that trip in February 2018, we really enjoyed it although it was very very cold at the windmills! Bule skies for us too though. Glad you're having a great time!

Edited by P&O SUE

On 11/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Lottie A said:

Just left Ijmuiden on the way back to Southampton. The sky is blue and it has been a lovely little break. Met some fabulous people and generally had a very good time. 

8EF89231-0690-4DF4-AB84-39D954195359.jpeg

Thanks for all the photos, I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at them and a fair few memories of our own winter cruises have been triggered.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks for all the photos, I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at them and a fair few memories of our own winter cruises have been triggered.

You are very welcome Damian. I do like winter cruises and wish there were more ships doing them. Here are a few more photo’s for you. 

BBAC2FA3-FDBB-4A7E-BA71-0EEDAEFF2334.jpeg

4A143EB3-B6C3-4CD6-A9D8-35CD9D18B431.jpeg

E0956E8D-1694-4E36-895E-A55D7322F1C4.jpeg

8E9120FC-589E-43FA-B09D-79C05D9E6694.jpeg

4D5DDFA7-E2A1-475F-BB37-95D3470D092C.jpeg

• Like 2

Some of these photos are making me feel quite festive which I am the first to admit is quite a difficult thing. We are on Aurora on 9 Dec but wouldn't be had we not had to cancel a cruise on Ventura in October. We were disappointed at the time but instead get a longer cruise on a nicer ship (looking even nicer with the decs up) and ports we've not visited before. It's strange sometimes how things work out...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

Some of these photos are making me feel quite festive which I am the first to admit is quite a difficult thing. We are on Aurora on 9 Dec but wouldn't be had we not had to cancel a cruise on Ventura in October. We were disappointed at the time but instead get a longer cruise on a nicer ship (looking even nicer with the decs up) and ports we've not visited before. It's strange sometimes how things work out...

I've just had a look at your itinerary & wish I was going on that cruise! All the ports will be very Christmassy and there'll be beautifully decorated (Christmas) markets selling gluhwein (or the local equivalent)! If you like snow then you'll have a chance of seeing it in Oslo or could seek it out by catching the T-bane Metro (tube train) to Holmenkollen where the ski jump is located. Alternatively you can easily get to Vigeland Sculpture Park using the tramway.

Have a lovely time!

11 hours ago, DamianG said:

I've just had a look at your itinerary & wish I was going on that cruise! All the ports will be very Christmassy and there'll be beautifully decorated (Christmas) markets selling gluhwein (or the local equivalent)! If you like snow then you'll have a chance of seeing it in Oslo or could seek it out by catching the T-bane Metro (tube train) to Holmenkollen where the ski jump is located. Alternatively you can easily get to Vigeland Sculpture Park using the tramway.

Have a lovely time!

Wish we were going too.

We did that cruise last year but without the overnights. 

It was awesome. Copenhagen was our favourite but Oslo in the snow was beautiful. 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, zoe sproodle said:

Thanks for the insights from the last few posts, we're counting down the days now and can't wait to get on board.  I just hope the M27 is behaving that day, every travel report I hear seems to mention it's got problems.

Allow plenty of time, it's not just the M27 that is playing up at the moment, all the major routes in to Southampton seem to have ongoing roadworks. 

Others have reported getting through with no issues, but it can be very bad. 

Andy 

22 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

Cheers for that, Andy. We're only traveling from Portsmouth so if things are looking bad on the motorway we'll use the A27 instead. I was already planning on going via the Itchen bridge to avoid the M271.

That's the way to go, wave when you pass Locks Heath. 

Have a great time. 

Andy 

On 11/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, jeanlyon said:

Don't you find this unbelievably early for Christmas?  Personally I am already sick of the Christmas Ads and shops with Christmas stuff in.  It's only 23rd November and I'm fed up with it already.

When I was a kid, we started making decoratiions around 15th December.  Soon we will starting it in June

😞

I thought it was too early. We left the Britannia on the 22nd November and the trees were popping up from about the 15th. It felt weird as we were on our holidays and I didn’t want to think about Christmas 😬. They did look beautiful tho. 🎄

59 minutes ago, scubadiverswife said:

I thought it was too early. We left the Britannia on the 22nd November and the trees were popping up from about the 15th. It felt weird as we were on our holidays and I didn’t want to think about Christmas 😬. They did look beautiful tho. 🎄

I passed outbound through Terminal 5 of Heathrow Airport in mid-November, and they were playing a non-stop diet of Christmas songs. Ugh! They were still playing them when I returned last Sunday, though by then they had rather more excuse.