HMC Cabana help

Motor City

I’ve booked a Cabana for our Jan cruise, but now I’m reconsidering, since we depart at 3pm from HMC... Hardly a day on the beach if we have to leave at 2pm to get back to the ship. We’ll have 5 adults, 2 kids.

Just wondering what other experiences are? Do you think it’s worth it, given the short time??

We have traveled on HAL since our kids were small (they are now 17 & 19). We have, on occasion, rented the clam shell just so we had a shady spot if needed, but we also tend to walk further down the beach where there are less people and more shade and have always enjoyed it. I think that for the time that you will likely be in the water and be eating lunch a cabana isn't worth it. 

I think I have to agree with all the replies. It's a lot of money for a very short day, and I'd guess your kids (and maybe the adults!) will be in the water a lot of the time.

That said, we booked a cabana (the small one, not the 2 story one!) once when visiting the island, along with 2 other adults. We LOVED it. But we're more about staying out of the sun and relaxing with intermittent swimming, and it was a special occasion for their first Caribbean cruise. We're also going to be at HMC in early February and while I've thought about renting a cabana, I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking for when I win the lottery or something! 😉

Best wishes, and have a wonderful cruise!

We have booked 8 cabanas, DW and the dermatologist love them. Our latest departure has been 4pm. I have never heard of ships staying any later than that, or "into the evening ", and we have been going there for at least 15 years.

We love the cabanas. "Worth it" is a personal judgment only you can make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from our cruise and as a treat I rented the pink cabana for $299.  We were 3 adults and a 10 year old.  IMPO it was worth every penny.  We arrived on the island around 8:30 and were driven to our cabana and were asked what time we would like to be picked up, we stayed until 2:45 so we got good use out of our “little” home for the day.  Fresh fruit, veggies, chips and nachos with dips, soft drinks and water awaited us, plenty of snacks so we did not even visit the barbecue area for lunch.  It was a memorable day in paradise.  None of the double decker cabanas were rented, only a few of the little ones were unoccupied.  

3 hours ago, gigianne said:

We just returned from our cruise and as a treat I rented the pink cabana for $299.  We were 3 adults and a 10 year old.  IMPO it was worth every penny.  We arrived on the island around 8:30 and were driven to our cabana and were asked what time we would like to be picked up, we stayed until 2:45 so we got good use out of our “little” home for the day.  Fresh fruit, veggies, chips and nachos with dips, soft drinks and water awaited us, plenty of snacks so we did not even visit the barbecue area for lunch.  It was a memorable day in paradise.  None of the double decker cabanas were rented, only a few of the little ones were unoccupied.  

I’m assuming you were a 4pm departure?

So the cabana rentals include r/t transportation?

thanks for your input!

When we have been to HMC previously all aboard was 2:30, this cruise it was 3:30.  The transportation is there for those who ask and or need it.   I wasn't a keener for the cabanas, my experience this time proved me wrong.  In saying this, if it had not been a nice day (weather wise) my experience might not have been as good.

We have been to HMC many times.  It is a gorgeous spot in paradise.  The “cabanas” are just behind rows and rows of lounge chairs.  Not very private  as they are wide open in front.  Everyone has their own preferences.  We prefer to dine in the Pinnacle Grill a few times, walk the beautiful white sand beach, and enjoy the sparkling water rather than rent a 3 sided wooden structure.  

DH and I rented one our first time at HMC in 2008.  At the time, we felt it was a good investment.  We arrived about 8:30 at the cabana and stayed until 2:45 when we took the last ferry back to the ship.  We never rented another one because as others have said we budgeted for other items.  Once HAL introduced Retreat Cabanas on the ships, around 2013, I think, we rented those and considered them a better choice.  Talk about being spoiled each time. . . .

Only you and your family can determine if the HMC cabana is worth it, but for the most bang for the bucks, I'd consider the family cabana on the ship, if one of those is still available.  Normally, the two family cabanas on each ship sell early.  You could investigate a renting a couple of the regular cabanas for two.