LAX - Long Beach port hotel help please.....

AandBmom

I'm looking at hotel options for our family of 6.  1 night pre cruise, 1 night post cruise.  

For pre cruise we fly in around 8pm. We will eat and sleep, get up eat then head to the cruise.

Suggestions for best hotel area or hotel names. What are the best logistics? Shuttle from one to the other, stay near LAX or port?  rental car for one night?  

Post cruise we have an entire day to hang out.  We will be beached out after cruise. We'd rather see some sites.  Any suggestions where to stay with stuff to do?  I"m think rental car for sure this time. 

14 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

For pre cruise we fly in around 8pm. We will eat and sleep, get up eat then head to the cruise.

Suggestions for best hotel area or hotel names. What are the best logistics? Shuttle from one to the other, stay near LAX or port?  rental car for one night?  

Post cruise we have an entire day to hang out.  We will be beached out after cruise. We'd rather see some sites.  Any suggestions where to stay with stuff to do?  I"m think rental car for sure this time.

Many many posts on this so definitely read through some for a ton of different opinions and suggestions-- a lot of valuable info already posted. 

Personally for Long Beach I'm a big fan of the Queen Mary-- you cant beat the proximity to the port (adjacent via a parking lot) but the history is incredible if you enjoy that sort of thing. 

Worth mentioning that the Queen Mary does have very unique cabins available that accommodate families with smaller little rooms adjacent to the main bedrooms with single beds. Not quite suites but much more room than a standard hotel room and a regular bed instead of a pullout. 

• Like 1

Personally, I am NOT a fan of the Queen Mary...

Try calling the Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach.  I believe they have some two bedroom suites with a King in 1 bedroom and a Queen and a Sofa Bed in the other.  When you try to book it on the website as six persons, it won't do it (works if you put in 5 though...

The hotel is fairly close to the Carnival pier (on the same side as the channel)...

• 2 weeks later...

For Long Beach hotels I recommend the Hotel Maya, Hilton Long Beach, or the Hyatt Regency. The Hotel Maya is within walking distance of the Carnival cruise port, the Hilton has a free shuttle to the cruise port, and the Hyatt is close to a stop on the free Passport shuttle.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, AandBmom said:

Looks like an Uber is going to make most sense too.  

Make sure you have Lyft on your phone as well as Uber.

Lyft seemed to have better pricing/availability when we stayed in Long Beach 2 years ago. That may or may not have changed.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, AandBmom said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up booking 2 rooms at the Maya and got a decent rate with their government rate.  Woo hoo.  

My husband and I are staying at the Maya tonight.  We had a very early flight and arrived at the hotel at 9:30 am.  I asked if there was any possibility for an early check-in.  They were able to give us a room right then at no extra cost.  Then I realized that I forgot to bring my cruise luggage tags.  I was able to use the computer and printer to print them and they let me borrow their stapler to attach them.  My husband forgot to pack shaving cream, so they gave us a bottle. Very friendly people at the front desk!

We ordered room service.  The food and service was excellent.  Anyway, we are pleased with the hotel.  It reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in Maui.  Kind of a tropical feel to it.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, TNcruising02 said:

My husband and I are staying at the Maya tonight.  We had a very early flight and arrived at the hotel at 9:30 am.  I asked if there was any possibility for an early check-in.  They were able to give us a room right then at no extra cost.  Then I realized that I forgot to bring my cruise luggage tags.  I was able to use the computer and printer to print them and they let me borrow their stapler to attach them.  My husband forgot to pack shaving cream, so they gave us a bottle. Very friendly people at the front desk!

We ordered room service.  The food and service was excellent.  Anyway, we are pleased with the hotel.  It reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in Maui.  Kind of a tropical feel to it.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful time!

Awesome. So great to hear. Thanks for posting

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, AandBmom said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up booking 2 rooms at the Maya and got a decent rate with their government rate.  Woo hoo.  

There have been big changes at LAX for Uber, I'd look into Uber Black on arrival. It would be worth the extra. Uber XL on the return should be fine.

I like the Sheraton at LAX and stay there for the night pre-cruise.  Rates are reasonable.  Rooms are very comfortable with superior beds and linens.  On arrival at LAX, take the hotel shuttle to Sheraton.    Morning of cruise, taxi to cruise port.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:26 AM, scottca075 said:

There have been big changes at LAX for Uber, I'd look into Uber Black on arrival. It would be worth the extra. Uber XL on the return should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. What do you mean big changes? What's uber black?

Uber Black is a luxury level Uber that is allowed to pick up curbside at LAX. If you are using Uber, UberXL, Lyft, a taxi, or other ride shares you need to go to a lot next to Terminal 1 where they congregate. You can walk from some terminals or use a shuttle to get to it. This is for pick up ONLY. Everyone can still drop off curbside only.

We just checked into the Roadway Inn in Long Beach.  Wow what a surprise.  They have just remodeled and the room looks great.  Not large but certainly big enough for two.  Only about 8 minutes to ship, lots of restaurants around, even a Vons close for last minute needs.  Staff very friendly.  Very happy we booked here.  Will stay again.