Letting Royal Choose My Cabin

Good Morning.

I want to surprise my mother with a cruise for my 30th birthday. We last cruised in 2011, and I remember it quite fondly so I thought she might have appreciated it more than a land vacation. I am looking at the 4 Night Cruise on Navigator of the Seas out of Miami in an Oceanview Cabin. I was thinking of choosing my own cabin but wondered the likelihood of actually getting bumped up to a higher category if I allowed the ship to choose my cabin. I also don't know if it might count at all that my birthday falls on the second day of the cruise. This might be a stupid question but I figured I would ask before I go ahead and complete my booking.

Thank you so much!

I recently did inside guarantees just because price was significantly cheaper. I did luck out and get three promenade cabins which is technically an upgrade, although some dislike. I Was happy since they are mid ship. however, I would always pick my own cabin if I could afford too. have a great birthday trip with your mother!! if you can’t afford and book guaranty you will have a great trip and memories with your mother regardless of where they put you 🙂!

I call it "The G-T-Y" as they put Gty for the guaranteed room on everything.

We did it this weekend and got upgraded to a promenade view room.  We didn't care for that style of room, so it wasn't an upgrade for us, but it was an upgrade in the system.

If you book a GTY cabin, you may not know your actual cabin number until right before sailing.  That stresses some people...wondering if they will really get a cabin or if there was a screw up somehow.  Also, your birthday won't matter.  There will be countless people on the ship celebrating something.  We've asked for specialty restaurants to recognize a special celebration in the past and about half the time they have completely forgotten. Too many guests and too many things for the ship's personnel to do.

43 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have done guarantees at least five times, the last two being suite guarantees.  Sometimes if you roll the dice, you win.  We are sailing Anthem on Sunday.  We booked a suite guarantee, which typically means you get a JS.  We have been assigned a two bedroom Grand Suite.

Congratulations!  Surprising that this is still happening with the Royal Up program in place.

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Congratulations!  Surprising that this is still happening with the Royal Up program in place.

Thanks!  We were very surprised when we finally were assigned a cabin.  There were never any JS or GS available since we saw the WS pop up.  We booked it and then never saw it offered again.  We really thought we were going to end up with a spa JS again or even a balcony but this just got assigned last week.  Have already heard from the concierge, so we should be good!

Thanks everyone. I spoke to my mom and she said she doesn't care where we are on the ship. After I showed her the deck areas of the ship, she told me that she doesn't even mind if I book an inside instead of an outside because she has a feeling we won't be in the room much anyway. She suggested that I put whatever money I saved into some specialty dining options so I think I am leaning towards trying for an inside guarantee. 

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have done guarantees at least five times, the last two being suite guarantees.  Sometimes if you roll the dice, you win.  We are sailing Anthem on Sunday.  We booked a suite guarantee, which typically means you get a JS.  We have been assigned a two bedroom Grand Suite.

That's great. Congrats

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Now that’s great!!!  Enjoy

• Thanks 1

I did a guarantee once and it did not work out well for us, we got a connecting cabin with frisky neighbors that made a lot of noise.  Second, when you get a connecting cabin you get a chair instead of a sofa.   

Edited by JamesEM
Typo