NCL and MSC Questions

BarnCat1

For those that have been on both cruises. what is MSC's dining options like compared to NCL  I see that you have to pick your preferred dinner times on MSC. 

Do you have to share tables with others or can you get your own table for your  party, even if it's only two people? 

Is the dress code any different than on NCL?  Is there a formal night?

The drink package on MSC has drinks up to $6.  I believe NCL"s basic package has drinks a little bit higher than that. Can you get anything besides beer and wine for $6 on MSC.  

Any other opinions about MSC compared to NCL?   

Though you may get some NCL passengers here that have been on MSC, you may want to go to the MSC board for those specific answers. I have not been on MSC, but have watched some reviews online. One of the things I recall is a sense of frequent upselling of the drink package on MSC.

The NCL package has drinks up to $15 and includes beer, wine, cocktails, spirits and soft drinks (not specialty coffees or bottled water). There could be an upcharge if you want a specific brand if that brand is considered premium by NCL. The NCL package is typically available as a promotional item. If you want it that is the best way to "purchase" it (about $140pp for the gratuities). It's ~$119pp daily if you buy it outright. That is either a lot of money or too much motivation to over drink trying to get you money's worth.

I have some opinions on MSC, but not based on personal or family experience, so it would be irresponsible to share them here.

Edited by Nola26

MSC had us at same dinner table, same time in MDR. Plan on 2 hours to complete meal, it's not fast. Food very comparable to NCL. 

I actually really like ncl buffet. Msc is close but real strength is having ten or so handmade pizzas, fresh. 

Balcony rooms were indistinguishable from each other. 

I can't remember drinks but we effectively had unlimited. One cool thing is MSC will match status you have on other cruise lines. 

Ncl is my preference but MSC is in the ballpark, and much better than carnival. 

I consider Cagneys and the Butcher Cut equal. If you are Bella or fantastica on msc, you usually eat with others. We had the recent odd experience on the Grandiosa at early dining. Our table was moved to one next to the kitchen to accommodate the huge number of Chinese passengers at 5:30.  After our insistence, they moved us to 6:30 and we sat with delightful Aussies. This experience taught me to not back down.

I thought MSC needed to step up the variety and quality of food in the Mdr and buffet. Yes, the pizza is good. I am ready to hop onboard am back ship so I will give a comparison in a few weeks. Service was good on msc.

8 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

The drink package on MSC has drinks up to $6.  I believe NCL"s basic package has drinks a little bit higher than that. Can you get anything besides beer and wine for $6 on MSC.  

One important difference between drink packages on NCL and MSC is that on NCL you only pay the difference if you order something with a cost over the limit, on MSC you pay the full price if it's over the pricelimit.

Upgrade to the better package for only €10 a day. That includes every item of this menu.

You can change tables and you can send them your wishes with the check in, also other cabin numbers ypu want to sit together with.

Dresscode is more strict but ok. Shorts are not allowed. On formal night 80-90% are dressed up.

MSC und NCL are my two favourit companies!

20190403_142954.jpg

20190403_142951.jpg

20190403_142948.jpg

20190403_142941.jpg

20190403_142938.jpg

20190403_142934.jpg

20190403_142931.jpg

• Like 1

The buffet on NCL wins.  The pizza on MSC wins.  I'm not a fan of MDR....only once per cruise at most....and I'd say they were equal.  On MSC you have a set table (for 2) but they were so close to the other tables there was no privacy.

As far as "dressing up"...the majority of passengers aren't American.  They have a better sense of style and personal appearance.  So, while it might not be "formal night" many people will be looking good.

We were on the Meraviglia last month and I liked it so much the first thing I did when I got home was book a cruise for next Oct.

ETA....desserts are much better on NCL.  As a "non-foodie" person I found MSC weak on food, even in the buffet, except for pizza and salads.  You won't starve, but don't expect an "out of this world" experience.

Edited by April42749