LBGT

Hallie8696294

I can't see what your ID/key card has to do with the country you are visiting.   It sounds as if the person you spoke to at O did not understand your concern.  As you pass through security at the dock and on to the ship, someone checks you have your card, but this is just to confirm you are a passenger and entitled to be on the ship.   

42 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

I can't see what your ID/key card has to do with the country you are visiting.   It sounds as if the person you spoke to at O did not understand your concern.  As you pass through security at the dock and on to the ship, someone checks you have your card, but this is just to confirm you are a passenger and entitled to be on the ship.   

That's the security at the pier.  There is also the official immigration clearance that needs to be done, by the ship's personnel, at each port.  That procedure requires following the laws of the country the ship is entering.

If a country requires either M or F, putting down X runs afoul of their requirements.  So any concerns should be addressed to the countries you plan to visit.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

That's the security at the pier.  There is also the official immigration clearance that needs to be done, by the ship's personnel, at each port.  That procedure requires following the laws of the country the ship is entering.

If a country requires either M or F, putting down X runs afoul of their requirements.  So any concerns should be addressed to the countries you plan to visit.

Thank you Flyer.  I really did not consider the security requirements that the Ship's personnel have to fulfil at each port.  This is obviously a much more complex issue.   

Edited by Jay23
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cbb said:

There is NO picture on the ship ID card.  The only picture is the one that appears on a computer screen as you check in/out to make sure no one else is using your card --a security concern and nothing else.  That picture is only seen by the person you hand your card to.

I've been on cruises where a person is transitioning or has and I did not hear of a single comment from staff or crew.   Fellow passengers pretty much are living/cruising in their own bubble and often have their own situations they're dealing with.

Go and enjoy the cruise with your sweetie.

THANK YOU, funny the res people never said the card didn't have a picture.  I think I can travel easier now, thanks again. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mura said:

Forgive me for not having the time to go back to the first comments but just WHO did you contact at Oceania?  If it was the standard 800 number I'm not surprised that the person on the other end of the line couldn't help you.  Many of them have never been on board.  If you contacted someone higher up at Oceania or your own TA, then they certainly should have been able to help you.  I can understand how this experience could sour your impression before ever boarding.

I also agree that the photo taken when you embark is the one the crew member sees on the computer screen so there shouldn't be any problem with not being recognized as YOU.

Thank u so much. Everyone is being so kind with their replies. 

• Like 1

As a potential new comer to Oceania the first thing you need to learn is to not call their 800 number if you have a question. Call your TA!

As an example, about a year ago, I stupidly broke this and called with a simple question on an attempted La Reserve booking. The rep’s response was “ What’s La Reserve?” Silly me, I knew better! I apologized for bothering her and called my TA the next morning who quickly took care of the issue. It was a quirk in O’s system. 

I never recommend any cruiser to call O’s customer service line. Have a TA and use them. The responses one receives there are often less accurate than on this forum which itself can be outdated and misleading!

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The responses one receives there are often less accurate than on this forum which itself can be outdated and misleading!

LOL, you mean people that new posters might look up to as experts but in reality haven't been on an Oceania ship in years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I never recommend any cruiser to call O’s customer service line.

Is that the same as a "personal vacation consultant"? I used one for the cruise we're on now and within an hour or so he got us upgraded to concierge level. And with a subsequent booking I asked him about transferring it to a TA and he highly recommended doing that. And she gave us gratuities. After that I saw a $400pp price decrease and call him, he processed and told me to call my TA to put it in her record. Maybe a different job description?