Royal Princess

LAHAPPY13420

I liked the Royal a lot better than I feared I might. The lack of a good promenade deck made me think I wouldn't be so crazy about the ship, but the walking/running track up top was a good substitute.

We had some really good food on the Royal, and, with Club Class, the service was spectacular. 

We got coffee cards and drank a lot of Banoffee Blasts, a caramel/banana ice blended drink. Those are the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I liked the Royal a lot better than I feared I might. The lack of a good promenade deck made me think I wouldn't be so crazy about the ship, but the walking/running track up top was a good substitute.

We had some really good food on the Royal, and, with Club Class, the service was spectacular. 

We got coffee cards and drank a lot of Banoffee Blasts, a caramel/banana ice blended drink. Those are the best.

Same thing for us. Yes there are a few things that are a draw back but certainly nothing that would not make us go back again and again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

My main complaint with the Royal, especially for a scenic sailing like Alaska or CA/NE, is that there is no forward public viewing area. No wraparound promenade deck. No forward area on an upper deck (all staterooms). Therefore IMHO the Royal is not an ideal ship for scenic sailings, which are more about the itinerary than the ship itself.

There is the Sanctuary that is available for a charge. The forward views from there are pretty decent. My wife and I spent the daylight hours on our Mexican Riviera Thanksgiving Cruise up there on the Royal. Even underway, there is enough glass upfront, to keep the wind off our loungers.

We got a spectacular view of the F-22 that buzzed us on our last full sea day. 😉 Full afterburners on the fly over, barrel rolls and a vertical climb right in front of us. Pilot must have been having a blast. 🙂

• Like 2

22 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

My main complaint with the Royal, especially for a scenic sailing like Alaska or CA/NE, is that there is no forward public viewing area. No wraparound promenade deck. No forward area on an upper deck (all staterooms). Therefore IMHO the Royal is not an ideal ship for scenic sailings, which are more about the itinerary than the ship itself.

I had read similar comments prior to our Alaska cruise on the Royal in August and I needn't have been concerned. There are heaps of outside viewing areas that were never crowded and of course the outside areas on deck 7 which very few people seem to know about. In Glacier Bay when I was on this deck I think that there would have been no more than 20 people out there. It was a beautiful day and the ship was sold out.

Edited by leck57
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 6:11 AM, polmcs said:

There is the Sanctuary that is available for a charge. The forward views from there are pretty decent. My wife and I spent the daylight hours on our Mexican Riviera Thanksgiving Cruise up there on the Royal. Even underway, there is enough glass upfront, to keep the wind off our loungers.

We got a spectacular view of the F-22 that buzzed us on our last full sea day. 😉 Full afterburners on the fly over, barrel rolls and a vertical climb right in front of us. Pilot must have been having a blast. 🙂

Not interested in paying extra for the Sanctuary just for a forward view. Plus for a photographer shooting through the glass there is less than ideal.

Without an unobstructed forward view those are the types of things one misses.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, leck57 said:

I had read similar comments prior to our Alaska cruise on the Royal in August and I needn't have been concerned. There are heaps of outside viewing areas that were never crowded and of course the outside areas on deck 7 which very few people seem to know about. In Glacier Bay when I was on this deck I think that there would have been no more than 20 people out there. It was a beautiful day and the ship was sold out.

Yes many outside viewing areas but none totally forward. If that is not important to someone then great. Everyone has their own priorities on board. In Alaska mine is seeing scenery and wildlife from the bow.

Edited by frugaltravel

9 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Yes many outside viewing areas but none totally forward. 

Nor are they covered, which is important whether it's sunny or gray and damp, nor protected from the wind.  And they're quite small.  We last sailed to Alaska on the Star and, as a photographer, I appreciated the covered promenade.  Waiters brought hot drinks around and one could duck inside for bit if it was too cold or windy.  Later especially important when in Glacier Bay.

• Like 1