Regent Air

Just2guys

I know that if we pay the deviation fee of $175 pp we can arrange for our own flights, times, etc., 270 days before departure.  I was also told by my TA at one point that she could  also request our desired seat assignments at the time she made our flight arrangements.  I was also told that Regent does not actually ticket until 30-45 days before the flight (unless we request that they ticket before that ---but not sure what that would involve and why that would be advantageous for us).

So....my question is: Can we still get our desired seat assignments booking with Regent at the 270 mark even though they do not actually ticket until 30-45 days before the flight?

Thanks for any information that could be provided!

45 minutes ago, Just2guys said:

So....my question is: Can we still get our desired seat assignments booking with Regent at the 270 mark even though they do not actually ticket until 30-45 days before the flight?

Yes.

Plus, once you get the confirmation number (270 days out) you can add the booking to your frequent flyer account.

In my experience [with UAL] you should be able to choose seats on line as soon as the flights are booked.  The angst comes when you wish to use miles to request an upgrade to the next higher cabin.  That ‘link’ doesn’t show up until the flights are paid for.

1 hour ago, daetchief said:

In my experience [with UAL] you should be able to choose seats on line as soon as the flights are booked.  The angst comes when you wish to use miles to request an upgrade to the next higher cabin.  That ‘link’ doesn’t show up until the flights are paid for.

And as a point of reference, don't assume that the tickets supplied through Regent are upgradeable, either by status, miles, and/or cash.  Completely depends upon the fare rules for your ticket, which you won't know until the ticket is issued.  You may or may not have the opportunity.

7 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Yes.

Plus, once you get the confirmation number (270 days out) you can add the booking to your frequent flyer account.

While this works for some airlines, it may not work for all airlines.  As they say for all things airline related, YMMV

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

And as a point of reference, don't assume that the tickets supplied through Regent are upgradeable, either by status, miles, and/or cash.  Completely depends upon the fare rules for your ticket, which you won't know until the ticket is issued.  You may or may not have the opportunity.

Very true!  And additionally, if / when you do get on ‘the waitlist’ for an upgrade [UAL again] your priority is the lowest you could imagine.  The plane would have to be majority occupied by Amish fist time flyers for you to have a chance.  [All due respect for the Amish...]

Edited by daetchief

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

I have had problems getting prior seat choices with Regent air and Lufthansa.  But with everyone else it seems to be fine.

There are known issues with seat assignments for Lufthansa operated flights that are ticketed by United.

• Like 1

Certainly in the UK seats can’t be chosen on BA and some other airlines until the tickets are issued usually 70 days before the cruise. In my experience I have found that on occasions there aren’t any seats left to choose. I then have had to check daily and eventually a couple of seats turn up. I have also worked out that if I don’t choose seats ( and usually have to pay for that) due to overbooking I could end up being bumped from the flight. That’s happened twice.
Regent will issue tickets early but only if you pay for the cruise early.

4 hours ago, swansong said:

I have also worked out that if I don’t choose seats ( and usually have to pay for that) due to overbooking I could end up being bumped from the flight.

A couple of technical points to start.  There are two kinds of bumping - VDB (voluntary denied boarding) and IDB (involuntary denied boarding).  The former is when you volunteer to stay behind, usually to receive an airline designated compensation.  The latter is when you don't volunteer, but the airline leaves you behind to catch another flight.

There are many factors that determine who an airline will IDB if necessary.  Among these are primarily the fare basis of your ticket (and note that "fare" does NOT mean "price"), airline status, and the criticality of any downstream connections.  Other factors may be involved but have less of a priority.  Lack of seat assignment is only one of those low-priority factors.

I suspect that a big reason for any bumping on cruiseline tickets is that they likely have a lower fare-basis than others on your flight.  One of the many downsides of "negotiated" "bulk" "contracted" and "consolidator" fares.

5 hours ago, swansong said:

Certainly in the UK seats can’t be chosen on BA and some other airlines until the tickets are issued usually 70 days before the cruise. In my experience I have found that on occasions there aren’t any seats left to choose. I then have had to check daily and eventually a couple of seats turn up. I have also worked out that if I don’t choose seats ( and usually have to pay for that) due to overbooking I could end up being bumped from the flight. That’s happened twice.
Regent will issue tickets early but only if you pay for the cruise early.

That's very interesting.  We always deviate and book Regent air ASAP.

We are in the USA and were able to select our seats on BA as soon as we had the confirmation #.

10 minutes ago, EAGLESLOVER said:

That's very interesting.  We always deviate and book Regent air ASAP.

We are in the USA and were able to select our seats on BA as soon as we had the confirmation #.

Have seen reports here on CC that the seat process on BA using Regent Air allows US customers to book their seats while UK customers are not able to book seats until the flights are paid for by Regent.

Like many other differences in booking between the US and UK, this is simply another difference.

23 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Have seen reports here on CC that the seat process on BA using Regent Air allows US customers to book their seats while UK customers are not able to book seats until the flights are paid for by Regent.

Plus Regent UK customers have to pay BA for seat reservations  in advance of the 24 hour prior check-in (unless the guest is booked in First Class or has BA Exec Club status) 

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Plus Regent UK customers have to pay BA for seat reservations  in advance of the 24 hour prior check-in (unless the guest is booked in First Class or has BA Exec Club status) 

Thanks for the additional information flossie.  Just another reason it is important for posters to include their home location in their CC profile or put that information in the post.

Just like in the case of airplane seats, for cruise & airline status, flights, bookings, deposits, etc . etc. it matters where you live and many many items vary depending on your home location.