Semi-Live limited Gem Dec 13, 2019 NY-Florida overnight, GSC & Nassau

mking8288

Preview of tonight's MDR menu, another CC couple on the roll call & us will do our critique after we dined. 2 of the solo cruisers, both Platinum are stretching their vouchers inviting each other.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Collage 2019-12-19 15_44_15.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Gem/ship is in fine, great shape, went upstairs to Deck 11 to inspect the bridge op we operations from the viewing room, well staffed & the officers even waived at us.

Currently doing 15 knots, waves at 8' and smoother, sailed 320 nm from Nassau with 645 nm to NY remaining, way off the coast between FL & GA.  Need to go a little faster as it will need 44 hours+ to get to Pier 90 as is = later than 8 am. Stay tuned tomorrow for latest.

Robin, the Mermaid is safe in the display case ... I see our bracelet too, yay.  No worries. 

Collage 2019-12-19 15_38_51.jpg

• Like 1

Send out our free laundry yesterday morning, RS returned them folded per request folded in a basket at noon today, all good - would be billed at $130 if itemized to be charged by pieces done.

$19.99 stuff the bag full laundry special was Tuesday, still using paper bags too.  We lined ours w those hotel bags.

IMG_20191219_145353265.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ew101 said:

Please can you post a daily?  I am trying to sort out if ballroom/Latin dancing is possible. 

Will do tonight. Didn't see anyone dancing Latin or ballroom, etc.  Maybe inside the Bliss Lounge or Spinnaker Lounge, and whether the band can ... Good luck.

6 hours ago, Arzeena said:

This noodle soup looks YUMMMMMY! 

They now have regular sized noodles soup bowl, making it easier to add your own extras ... to that basic shredded chicken & vege soup. Just pickup extras like mushrooms & spinach from other buffet stations, including meat and viola. A happy "meal" - be sure to ask for extra noodles. 🤫 Curry & spices for you 😛

Yeah, staterooms got new carpet & the mattresses are firm for sleeping. 👍

The newest Cruise Norwegian App is okay too.  Browser login and logout take you to the digitalseas.io URL link to sign in & out.

Free breakfast room service order - door hanger, same as before.

That's enough for now, taking a quick power nap before dinner at 6 pm ... back online later w more comments, stories and follow up on questions, etc. 

Collage 2019-12-19 10_20_29.jpg

Collage 2019-12-19 12_06_46.jpg

Collage 2019-12-19 16_58_20.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

They now have regular sized noodles soup bowl, making it easier to add your own extras ... to that basic shredded chicken & vege soup. Just pickup extras like mushrooms & spinach from other buffet stations, including meat and viola. A happy "meal" - be sure to ask for extra noodles. 🤫 Curry & spices for you 😛

When we were on Escape in October there was variety in the types of noodle soup offered . Sometimes chicken based, sometimes beef, sometimes fish, sometimes it came close to pho . I was a bit disappointed when on the Gem last week that they served the same chicken noodle soup every day.

Edited by njhorseman

Mr. King, Thank you, thank you very much! 👍🏼 Your photos, answering of questions and general information have helped future NCL Gem cruisers tremendously! I will be passing you somewhere in the NYC Cruise Terminal on Saturday. But I am boarding the ship with a sense of calm unlike any of my previous cruises. I feel like I have already been on the ship and am doing a b2b! 🤣 Welcome home, Happy Holiday and Happy New Year! Thanks again!

Alright, I have one request in the hopes of settling an argument on my Roll Call. The topic is sail-away gathering. We have a traveler who would like us to meet at the Sugar Cane Mojito Bar claiming it is a great vantage point. It has been suggested that the Sugar Cane Bar is closed and only available to Haven/Suite guests upon sail-away. Attempts at calling NCL to find out have been unsuccessful. If you are in the area, could you please ask a staff member if the Sugar Cane is open to all starting at 4:00 pm on Saturday for our sail-away? Thank you!

5 hours ago, copper004 said:

Alright, I have one request in the hopes of settling an argument on my Roll Call. The topic is sail-away gathering. We have a traveler who would like us to meet at the Sugar Cane Mojito Bar claiming it is a great vantage point. It has been suggested that the Sugar Cane Bar is closed and only available to Haven/Suite guests upon sail-away. Attempts at calling NCL to find out have been unsuccessful. If you are in the area, could you please ask a staff member if the Sugar Cane is open to all starting at 4:00 pm on Saturday for our sail-away? Thank you!

Sure, I will check in morning & post here.

6 hours ago, Phemmett said:

Thank you so much for all this wonderful information. Just curious where was your Applebee’s lookalike meal as I have teens !! Also the noodle soup, is that in Buffett area? 
Can’t wait to board on Saturday !

Paige 

O'Sheahan's (Locals on newer ships) 😁

It was party time, music & dancing in the Spinnaker Lounge.

Fitness Center, 1 deck below on #12 Fwd was pretty quiet at 10 pm.

Kids gone "home" and back to their staterooms by 11 pm, mostly.

Collage 2019-12-19 23_52_57.jpg

Collage 2019-12-19 23_56_26.jpg

Collage 2019-12-19 23_51_36.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Poolside and open decks are quiet & empty, cool & windy, upper 50's and the pool drained for cleaning overnight.

Sounds of mahjong tiles coming from inside the Card Room on Deck 12 next to the library, let's hope those staterooms below on Deck 11 don't hear them ... almost 11 pm 

Collage 2019-12-20 00_06_31.jpg

Collage 2019-12-20 00_05_32.jpg

Collage 2019-12-20 00_04_31.jpg

@copper004 - how many folks are you expecting to be at the SailAway party up on Deck 13's bar ... it is a relatively small area, an extension & part of Moderno.  I am going to ask & check w. Group Services onboard also - been up in that area several times, it isn't part of the Haven area nor designated as off-limits with any posted signs - should be accessible.  I will ask for your (large) Roll Call & relay it, once I find out in the morning.

Ship is sailing against headwind, seas was calm over dinner - now back to large waves of 11.5 ft. Sailed 1/2 way between Nassau & NYC, 510 nm already with 460 nm remaining, cruising around 20 knots - temp's dropped from mid 60's during the day to mid-50' now, effective wind about 40 knots/gale force ... crossing into the waters of SC.  Gem's speed will vary but should be arriving earlier than scheduled for on-time disembarkation.  Been invited to a morning update and should learn more by noon, if there's any adverse changes delaying arrival into Pier 90.

For Platinum/+ cruisers on the Gem, there is no roped off seating area to wait ... just make sure to ask for lower numbered Zone card for boarding purposes.  Have a wonderful M&G in Magenta this Sunday !!

Edited by mking8288

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

how many folks are you expecting to be at the SailAway party up on Deck 13's bar ... it is a relatively small area, an extension & part of Moderno.

Not just that, but iirc, it's mostly on the starboard side, and the view port side, of Manhattan during sail away, will not be the best.  I don't think it's where I'd want to be during sail away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.