Weather in March

Pack layers for all seasons, although you would be unlikely to encounter temps much below 10C in March in NZ. However it can feel quite chilly during the scenic cruising through Fiordland so pack a warm hat, gloves and scarf as well. You could get temps as high as 40C in Sydney.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 hours ago, lissie said:

You won't need a fleece. You'll need a sunhat and good sunscreen. A raincoat maybe - but if its early March and still warm I find an umbrella more useful as you sweat too much in a raincoat. 

I can think of a number of times I've needed a fleece in NZ around that time of year, especially in Dunedin and Fiordland. And umbrellas aren't much use on a cruise ship, they tend to annoy other passengers who can't see the scenery through them.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can think of a number of times I've needed a fleece in NZ around that time of year, especially in Dunedin and Fiordland. And umbrellas aren't much use on a cruise ship, they tend to annoy other passengers who can't see the scenery through them.

Where does Fiordland come into an Akl to Syd cruise? Umbrellas on land - obviously 

11 hours ago, lissie said:

Where does Fiordland come into an Akl to Syd cruise? Umbrellas on land - obviously 

Unless it's a very short 3-4 day cruise, most Auckland to Sydney cruises go down the east coast of NZ stopping at various ports then do the scenic cruising through Fiordland before crossing the Tasman to Sydney.

• Like 1

Couple of years ago we did an NZ cruise in February / March, it was cold, bloody cold.  I was so very grateful for having packed my Kathmandu ski jacket.  Mind you, I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to my comfort level.