Hotel advice near LGA: Fairfield or Doubletree Penn Station

jp2746

We are going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty in June.  When we return, we have decided to stay and sight see for a couple of days.  I have reservations at Doubletree Penn Station in New Jersey and we have a flight out of LGA at 11:45 on the Tuesday after the cruise.  We would be using a car service to drive us from New Jersey to LGA on Tuesday morning.

My question is, has anyone stayed at the Fairfield Inn near LGA? I am a little concerned about being in New Jersey the day of our flight and am considering moving closer to LGA.  The Fairfield has an airport shuttle, free breakfast and a shuttle to the subway.  It sounds too good to be true so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this hotel before I change all of our reservations.  I figured that if we stay here, we can leave a little earlier out of LGA (we are going to CA so it is a long day) and we wouldn't have to worry about accidents or traffic coming from New Jersey.  Also, the flight we are currently on would be on a Max 8 and if they are back in service at that time, I'm not sure I want my entire family on that plane.  I was just hoping that they would still be out of service. 🙂

Thoughts???

TIA!

17 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

My question is, has anyone stayed at the Fairfield Inn near LGA? I am a little concerned about being in New Jersey the day of our flight and am considering moving closer to LGA. 

I have not stayed at this Fairfield but have driven past it a number of times. Have stayed at the Doubletree Penn which until recently was a Hilton. I would say that your thinking on a Tuesday morning isn't bad about closer proximity-- there will be traffic headed to LGA and you would need to get up much earlier if you stayed in Newark. That being said I would wager that the Doubletree Penn Station is a nicer physical hotel, although not as well located in this example. 

19 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I figured that if we stay here, we can leave a little earlier out of LGA (we are going to CA so it is a long day) and we wouldn't have to worry about accidents or traffic coming from New Jersey. 

You could also stay in Manhattan if you could find a good rate that fits your budget-- getting to LGA from Midtown is a lot easier than getting there from Newark. 

What are the exact dates you’re looking at?  Are you considering switching to the Fairfield for all your nights or just the last night?  Staying in Queens will give you good access to midtown Manhattan, but a much longer trip to downtown tourist sites.

The main attraction for basing yourselves at the Doubletree is the quick and easy access to NJ Transit to midtown and PATH to downtown.  I would seriously consider doing that and moving to the Fairfield for just your last night.

1 minute ago, 138east said:

What are the exact dates you’re looking at?  Are you considering switching to the Fairfield for all your nights or just the last night?  Staying in Queens will give you good access to midtown Manhattan, but a much longer trip to downtown tourist sites.

The main attraction for basing yourselves at the Doubletree is the quick and easy access to NJ Transit to midtown and PATH to downtown.  I would seriously consider doing that and moving to the Fairfield for just your last night.

We are considering it for both nights. We will only be in NJ or NY for two nights so I don't want to deal with the check in/check out times of having two hotels in two days.  I don't know anything at all about the subway system.  Is it easier to get from NJ to tourist attractions than it is to get there from Queens?  What is the difference in the amount of time to get to the city from NY and Queens?  I was very stressed about getting to LGA and knowing what time to leave NJ the day of our flight, but staying at the Fairfield gets rid of that stress.  It may be worth a little more time on the subway to just get up and not worry about an accident or road construction.  Plus, two of us have to work the next day so getting into CA earlier is very attractive to them.

29 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Is it easier to get from NJ to tourist attractions than it is to get there from Queens?

Not really-- its sort of equidistant. From Newark you can take PATH trains into downtown or NJ Transit into Penn Station from Newark Penn Station. It's very convenient from the Doubletree as it's connected to the station. For an 11:45 am flight, arriving to LGA no later than 10am, on a Tuesday morning you'd need to leave Newark around 8am to be safe in a car service-- you will most likely be routed up and over the George Washington Bridge. Its about an hour with a little traffic but could be much more in the morning rush. 

Queens will give you an extra hour or two in the morning. Getting into the city is easy via the subway or Uber. Although in June it wouldn't be unheard of finding a nice enough hotel in the mid $100s in Manhattan which I would guess would be near what you are paying by the airport Fairfield and it would save you both time and commuting costs for sightseeing. 

28 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Not really-- its sort of equidistant. From Newark you can take PATH trains into downtown or NJ Transit into Penn Station from Newark Penn Station. It's very convenient from the Doubletree as it's connected to the station. For an 11:45 am flight, arriving to LGA no later than 10am, on a Tuesday morning you'd need to leave Newark around 8am to be safe in a car service-- you will most likely be routed up and over the George Washington Bridge. Its about an hour with a little traffic but could be much more in the morning rush. 

Queens will give you an extra hour or two in the morning. Getting into the city is easy via the subway or Uber. Although in June it wouldn't be unheard of finding a nice enough hotel in the mid $100s in Manhattan which I would guess would be near what you are paying by the airport Fairfield and it would save you both time and commuting costs for sightseeing. 

Sorry, I forgot to give you our dates.  We will be there June 14-16.  Thanks for the advice. I am going to check for hotels in Manhattan.  I was going to do an Airbnb but there are 8 of us and it seems like all the less expensive houses have only one bathroom.  I don't think that would work.  

24 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I was going to do an Airbnb but there are 8 of us and it seems like all the less expensive houses have only one bathroom.  I don't think that would work. 

Also worth keeping in mind that there has been a lot of legal wrangling as Airbnb technically falls afoul of NYC rental laws. 

1 hour ago, jp2746 said:

Sorry, I forgot to give you our dates.  We will be there June 14-16.  Thanks for the advice. I am going to check for hotels in Manhattan.  I was going to do an Airbnb but there are 8 of us and it seems like all the less expensive houses have only one bathroom.  I don't think that would work.  

Are ;you looking for 4 rooms for 2 each, or some other combination? As stated, the traditional Airbnb you find elsewhere is illegal (or heavy restrictions for the legal work arounds) in NYC. It can be challenging to find decent sized rooms for 4, for instance, in Manhattan.

What kind of rate are you getting in New Jersey? I personally would prefer to be in Manhattan, but that particular hotel is convenient to transit into the city.

Look at the Holiday Inn Express New York City Wall Street.  The member total cost for June 14-16 is about $405 tax included for a king bed for 2 people.  This would be walking distance to downtown tourist attractions with good subway service to anywhere in midtown.  Also probably cheaper to get to from Cape Liberty post cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jp2746 said:

We are going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty in June.  When we return, we have decided to stay and sight see for a couple of days.  I have reservations at Doubletree Penn Station in New Jersey and we have a flight out of LGA at 11:45 on the Tuesday after the cruise.  We would be using a car service to drive us from New Jersey to LGA on Tuesday morning.

My question is, has anyone stayed at the Fairfield Inn near LGA? I am a little concerned about being in New Jersey the day of our flight and am considering moving closer to LGA.  The Fairfield has an airport shuttle, free breakfast and a shuttle to the subway.  It sounds too good to be true so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this hotel before I change all of our reservations.  I figured that if we stay here, we can leave a little earlier out of LGA (we are going to CA so it is a long day) and we wouldn't have to worry about accidents or traffic coming from New Jersey.  Also, the flight we are currently on would be on a Max 8 and if they are back in service at that time, I'm not sure I want my entire family on that plane.  I was just hoping that they would still be out of service. 🙂

Thoughts???

how about flying out of Newark?

TIA!

Thanks for all the advice!

We will have two families going. So, we will get two rooms with two adults and two children in each.  I am still confused on what to do.  It doesn't seem like that big of a deal since we are currently at the Doubletree and it is next to the train station.  I would prefer not to have to take the car service more than once.  If we stay at the Doubletree we can Uber to the hotel after the cruise and have the car service pick us up Tuesday morning.  Should we leave earlier than 8 if we choose this route?  My FIL lived in NY but not for many years.  He said to leave by 7 am.  

I guess my only real choice is if we want to leave earlier in the morning (if that is the case we would move closer to the airport) or if our 11:45 flight works.  I'm watching the Max 8 debate.  I hope that they do not return the plane to service before July.  Actually, with the horrible press, I don't know if the Max 8 can ever recover and I don't know how airlines will handle this.  That would be a factor in our decision as well. 

I checked the Holiday Inn, but I feel like we should either stay very close to the airport or in New Jersey.  The Holiday Inn would probably require us to use a car service again, and with eight, that isn't cheap.  I was able to book a room at the Doubletree with miles, but I think the price for two nights was just under $400 for one room with taxes. 

3 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Thanks for all the advice!

We will have two families going. So, we will get two rooms with two adults and two children in each.  I am still confused on what to do.  It doesn't seem like that big of a deal since we are currently at the Doubletree and it is next to the train station.  I would prefer not to have to take the car service more than once.  If we stay at the Doubletree we can Uber to the hotel after the cruise and have the car service pick us up Tuesday morning.  Should we leave earlier than 8 if we choose this route?  My FIL lived in NY but not for many years.  He said to leave by 7 am.  

I guess my only real choice is if we want to leave earlier in the morning (if that is the case we would move closer to the airport) or if our 11:45 flight works.  I'm watching the Max 8 debate.  I hope that they do not return the plane to service before July.  Actually, with the horrible press, I don't know if the Max 8 can ever recover and I don't know how airlines will handle this.  That would be a factor in our decision as well. 

I checked the Holiday Inn, but I feel like we should either stay very close to the airport or in New Jersey.  The Holiday Inn would probably require us to use a car service again, and with eight, that isn't cheap.  I was able to book a room at the Doubletree with miles, but I think the price for two nights was just under $400 for one room with taxes. 

For car service, break up into groups of 4. Leaving at 8 should be okay, you can watch on waze or google maps to make sure it’s just normal rush hour traffic.

4 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I'm watching the Max 8 debate.  I hope that they do not return the plane to service before July.

There is a high probability it will be back in service by July-- more in the Feb/March timeframe. Airlines that operate the Max are already building it into their schedules. 

I am hoping that the airlines will wait.  I know that there is controversy over that release date for the Max 8 because Boeing is pushing the release.  But... if they do go back into service, I hope that the airlines will offer some accommodations for people who don't want to fly on that airplane.  

36 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

But... if they do go back into service, I hope that the airlines will offer some accommodations for people who don't want to fly on that airplane. 

They might, but they can't do that for everyone. The airlines that have heavy Max exposure, most notably Southwest, cannot wait to get the airplane back into service. It's not just Boeing. These airlines have taken a major hit and getting the added capacity flying again will help stem that. The airlines are heavily incentivized to get them in the air again. 

OP, clarifications - which Fairfield are you looking at ... at least 3 of them in Queens with free shuttle services to LGA, near the airport.  They would put you within 15 to 30 minutes of your airline/Southwest terminal vs. a minimum 90 minutes to 2 hour drive on a weekday morning to join commuters to the airport (2 crossings & congested/gridlock traffic conditions can be expected)

Fairfield at LGA/Astoria is west of the airport, other CC had stayed there before & feedback was good.  Fairfield at LGA/Flushing is 10+ minutes east of the airport, often used by tourist bus groups - and, they have 2 to 3 vans in their fleet, etc. 

I strongly suggest/recommend using Google Map - earth/street view to do a quick virtual look around of the surroundings yourself ... and can give you my thoughts & specifics (familar & live not far from this area, etc.)  

As for NYC subway system, it is not as difficult as it sound, millions of NY'ers and visitors use it daily - plus the surface bus lines.  What are your top "must-see" tourist sites/places during your brief visit/stay ?  A trip from Queens subway station into midtown Manhattan is as little as 30 to 45 minutes on a weekday, possibly without a need to transfer - depending on your first stop.  

Edited by mking8288

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct Board or not but this thread sounds very familiar to the information I am looking for as well so I figured might as well try.

We have a Bermuda cruise booked for November 1 on NCL Encore and I am trying to figure out if it will be best to fly in a day early and try to take in some sights before the cruise. Problem is I have never been to NYC before and am already overwhelmed with trying to research the options that will not blow the budget. Having 31 years as a firefigher I would love to visit the WTC memorial site and pay my respects in person to those that lost their lives that day. I would like to be close to the cruise terminal as well but again, not sure how any of my "wish list" items will work in to the schedule. Any suggestions from those familiar with the Big Apple would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct Board or not but this thread sounds very familiar to the information I am looking for as well so I figured might as well try.

We have a Bermuda cruise booked for November 1 on NCL Encore and I am trying to figure out if it will be best to fly in a day early and try to take in some sights before the cruise. Problem is I have never been to NYC before and am already overwhelmed with trying to research the options that will not blow the budget. Having 31 years as a firefigher I would love to visit the WTC memorial site and pay my respects in person to those that lost their lives that day. I would like to be close to the cruise terminal as well but again, not sure how any of my "wish list" items will work in to the schedule. Any suggestions from those familiar with the Big Apple would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you're in the right board. I think your questions are going to be unique enough that you should start a new thread. This one was kind of specific.

Two things while you consider reposting in a new thread: Yes, it can be done, yes, you may blow your budget, but consider all options first, and, if at all possible, stay at least two nights in Manhattan before the cruise; three is better! And, an alibi, there is also a FDNY Museum in Manhattan in or near SOHO. Not far from the WTC/Financial District area, which is also one of the easier cab rides to Midtown West where the cruise terminal is located; distance may not equate to actual time-based proximity in Manhattan...

34 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Hotels tend to be less expensive downtown, by the memorial. The museum and observatory are also worth visiting. 

What is your hotel budget?  Number of people?  Bed size requirements?  Are you thinking Oct30-Nov 1 or just Oct 31-Nov 1?  Are you considering flying into LGA, Newark, or JFK?  What time do you think you would arrive?

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on the Hudson River around 50th Street & 12th Ave.  The WTC Memorial is downtown close to the tip of Manhattan.  Your best hotel locations would be in midtown west or downtown.  Hotels do tend to be less expensive downtown on the weekend, but you might pay more to get there from the airport and pay more to get to the cruise terminal.  From a midtown hotel you would take the subway downtown to the Memorial.

3 hours ago, 138east said:

What is your hotel budget?  Number of people?  Bed size requirements?  Are you thinking Oct30-Nov 1 or just Oct 31-Nov 1?  Are you considering flying into LGA, Newark, or JFK?  What time do you think you would arrive?

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on the Hudson River around 50th Street & 12th Ave.  The WTC Memorial is downtown close to the tip of Manhattan.  Your best hotel locations would be in midtown west or downtown.  Hotels do tend to be less expensive downtown on the weekend, but you might pay more to get there from the airport and pay more to get to the cruise terminal.  From a midtown hotel you would take the subway downtown to the Memorial.

I appreciate all the helpful information. To answer some of the questions: hotel budget- I'd like to stay under $300 a night if possible. After some thought I think at least one day pre-cruise, October 31 but would consider October 30 to just because there is so many places to visit. As far as flights doesn't really matter to me other than cost/convenience, we fly out of Portland, Maine so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by prbffd28
Addison information

12 hours ago, prbffd28 said:

Forgot a couple answers! Just 2 of us and bed size can be whatever, we pretty easy to please!!

Just a heads up, there will be a lot of children on your sailing, NJ teachers convention is that week, kids get a few days off from school for that plus Election Day. I’ve sailed that week several times out of NYC, folks from out of town seem surprised to see so many kids the first week in November.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Just a heads up, there will be a lot of children on your sailing, NJ teachers convention is that week, kids get a few days off from school for that plus Election Day. I’ve sailed that week several times out of NYC, folks from out of town seem surprised to see so many kids the first week in November.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I appreciate it and you're correct, we would have been very surprised!!

As you're planning this out, look at your total costs. The cheapest fare might be into EWR, but that's likely the highest transportation costs into Manhattan, so if you save $100 on air and are $200 on car services, you're still behind. If you're traveling relatively light and can handle your bags, you actually have somewhat better transit options (more direct) from EWR into either the WTC area or the Penn Station area than from LGA or JFK. You can do dummy bookings on Carmel Limo or Dial7 to estimate costs and add to your airfare. Carol has the Jersey Transit options down pretty pat and I'm not even going to try! But if you can manage on the train to and/or from EWR, the transportation costs drop dramatically, and can bring EWR into easy play. Of course, likely as not only one of the airports will have good flight times and/or direct flights...

It isn't uncommon for the major chains to cut hotel rates closer to your actual dates. I travel almost exclusively with Marriott, and frequently book a refundable rate and rebook and cancel several times before my actual trip. That's not always true, but I've even done that over Thanksgiving and Christmas in the past (Macy's tends to book one of my favorite Midtown hotels for staff for the parade, but seems to release their overbooks a week or two out, for instance). So I'd try to avoid non-refundable rates this far out and just keep watching.

With your interests, Downtown is going to put your closer to what you sound like you most want to see, with a fairly easy subway ride to Midtown for sites up there, and then a cab, Uber, or car service to the terminal.