Panorama out of Long Beach

TNcruising02

I'm on the Panorama now and just wanted to share a few general thoughts.

Port - Long Beach
The area is nice, but there is trash in the ocean.  I have cruised out of ports in the east coast and gulf, but never saw trash in the ocean like the Long Beach area.  How can this be acceptable?  With all of the talk about plastic straws and how they hurt the environment, I don't understand how it's acceptable to have trash floating around in the water and on the land areas around the water in the United States.  It's very sad.

Hotel - Maya
We stayed at the Maya, which is only a 15 minute walk from the port.  It has a very relaxed vibe and reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in Maui.  The customer service is excellent.  The room service seemed expensive, but the food and presentation were both very good.  They provide a free shuttle to the port.  We would definitely stay there again.

Terminal - Carnival
The terminal is inside of a large dome.  There is an early/late line, which I entered at 11:14 a.m.  I was through the line and waiting in a seat by 11:19.  They really seemed to have their act together when it came to checking people in.  There was a very long wait for boarding because of an issue checking in all of the back-to-back passengers who were on the ship in the dining room. I think the issue was getting their room keys.  I heard they were offered free drinks when they were finally able to board.

Cabin -
We are on the lido deck and are very happy with our balcony cabin.  Our only issue is that we are in a cabin with a connecting door to another cabin.  Usually this isn't an issue, but on this cruise the people in the cabin next door stay up very late and we can hear them talking and hear their TV late into the night.  Next time, I will make sure not to book a cabin with a connecting door.  Rolling up a towel and putting it on the bottom of the connecting door didn't help.  Thankfully, the noise isn't constant and we are still able to really enjoy our cabin.

Laundry - 
There are launderettes in the following locations:
Deck 1 across from 1367
Deck 2 across from 2381
Deck 6 across from 6347
Deck 7 across from 7345
Deck 8 across from 8341
Deck 9 across from 9278

Although we always do a load of laundry during every cruise, we decided to use the $15 promo and sent out laundry out to be washed.  It worked well.  We should be platinum on our next cruise, so I will always let them do the laundry

Elevators -
This took getting used to, but it's a huge improvement.  There are several touch screens by the elevators.  All you have to do is touch the deck number that you want to go to. Then the touch screen will display an elevator letter.  You just find that elevator letter and wait in front of it.  This works very well the majority of the time and decreases wait times.

Buffet -
This is where Carnival really stepped it up on a new ship.  In addition to the regular stations, they set up four additional center stations in the front and back of the buffet area.  For breakfast, they offer bacon at the sides of these stations so you don't have to stand in front of a long line to get bacon.  In fact, there have been no long lines at all for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  It's a fantastic set up and I wish they could do it on all of their ships.

Liquid Lounge (main theater) - Just like our experience on the Vista, this is the worst theater design.  If you aren't in the first row on the balcony, you will not get a good seat up there.  On the main floor, the middle seats are movable.  There are no small tables for drinks.  It's just a terrible design.  For the best seats in the theater, line up early for a balcony seat.  Go to the very middle of the balcony.  There are eight chairs in the middle with the best seats in the entire theater.  Right in the center with nothing to block your view.

Crowds -
There really are no large crowds, other than just before the start of a comedy show.  The buffet area is so well designed that crowds aren't an issue.  We usually show up at the comedy shows around 30 minutes early to get our desired seats.  We have always been able to get good chairs on the pool deck and on deck 11.  I'm not sure why it doesn't seem crowded because on our Vista cruise in January 2018 there were longs lines.  Maybe we just went on the Vista on a bad week or this cruise is on a good week.  I don't know, but crowds have not been a problem.

Puerto Vallarta - Rhythm of the Nights
This was a very fun excursion.  Everyone met in the Horizon dining area and then boarded a two story boat.  The crew on the boat was very entertaining.  When we got to the beach, we followed a path to where the tables were set up.  They had several buffet stations, so there were no long lines.  We were offered drinks for free, but many people purchased wrist bands for unlimited better drinks.  The show was amazing.  The crew had some great entertainment on the way back to the Panorama, so if you go on this excursion make sure you grab a seat on the bottom deck so that you can see it.

All in all, we think the Panorama is a great ship.  Emma, the cruise director, is very energetic and entertaining. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'll comment on the trash in the ocean. We just had a HUGE wind storm on Monday and Tuesday, so my guess is that a lot of the litter is from that. Most all city storm drains go to the ocean, so when there are wind events, the trash collects. A huge reason to NOT LITTER. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

Thank you so much for the detailed update!!  We sail on her on the 21st and your info was super helpful! PLease fix the Mexican weather while you are in the area.  I need about 10 degrees warmer.

Haha!  I was worried that it would be chilly in Mexico this time of year, but the weather has been perfect!  It was a bit chilly sailing out of Long Beach, but the further south we got the warmer it got.  I think a light jacket is all you need.  You probably won't even need it at all in Mexico.  I am sure you will love the ship!

14 minutes ago, bahacca said:

I'll comment on the trash in the ocean. We just had a HUGE wind storm on Monday and Tuesday, so my guess is that a lot of the litter is from that. Most all city storm drains go to the ocean, so when there are wind events, the trash collects. A huge reason to NOT LITTER. 

Thanks for your response.  We arrived on Friday, December 13th, and were a bit shocked at seeing the trash.  It just seems so unhealthy for people and the animal life.  I didn't see any efforts to clean it, but hopefully it is done frequently.  Other than that, Long Beach seemed very nice.

5 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Such good news . . . tell us more . . . leaving January 18th . . . do you know anything about the parking situation for those driving to the port. Give us a full review if you have time. Thanks 🙂

We took a shuttle to the hotel, so we didn't drive.  I hope that someone was has driven can help you out with the parking.   I hope you have a great cruise!  Other than Carnival's slow process of checking in the massive back-to-backs, everything has been very smooth.

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

Such good news . . . tell us more . . . leaving January 18th . . . do you know anything about the parking situation for those driving to the port. Give us a full review if you have time. Thanks 🙂

Three words: Park and Cruise.

Come in the night before and relax, then take the hotel shuttle over in the morning. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Don't you have to tap the deck selector once for each person in your party? I have read that. Thank you

Yes, I heard the same thing.  Some people do it, but it seems like most parties of people just tap it once.  It really only throws it off when there are a lot of people using the elevators, like on the first day.  Other than that, it seems to work ok with one tap per party.  The new way saves a lot of time.  You are less likely to get on an elevator that stops at nearly every floor.  Usually it will have less than three stops, sometimes it will go directly to your desired floor.  I like the new system.  Everyone doesn't crowd to the next opening elevator.

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, I heard the same thing.  Some people do it, but it seems like most parties of people just tap it once.  It really only throws it off when there are a lot of people using the elevators, like on the first day.  Other than that, it seems to work ok with one tap per party.  The new way saves a lot of time.  You are less likely to get on an elevator that stops at nearly every floor.  Usually it will have less than three stops, sometimes it will go directly to your desired floor.  I like the new system.  Everyone doesn't crowd to the next opening elevator.

I see. The videos I have seen say the system slows down if you don't tap once per person because one tap results in cars stopping with room for one person and your party can't get on because you are 3 persons, for example. That's the theory and the practical of the system. I can understand during slow times it may not be an issue but we will follow as asked and hope for a good result. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I see. The videos I have seen say the system slows down if you don't tap once per person because one tap results in cars stopping with room for one person and your party can't get on because you are 3 persons, for example. That's the theory and the practical of the system. I can understand during slow times it may not be an issue but we will follow as asked and hope for a good result. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can see how not tapping once for each person in the party can throw things off. I just went to look at the elevators to see if it states to press the deck location once for every member of the party and it does not include it in the instructions.  It just states to press the deck number, look to see which elevator letter is displayed, and then go wait by that elevator.

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, I can see how not tapping once for each person in the party can throw things off. I just went to look at the elevators to see if it states to press the deck location once for every member of the party and it does not include it in the instructions.  It just states to press the deck number, look to see which elevator letter is displayed, and then go wait by that elevator.

I've seen two different videos one of which was produced by a Carnival rep. Is it possible the specific tap instructions are for the forward elevators only? I know on the Vista everyone was saying only the forward most bank of elevators worked with a new system. That was nice of you to go check, thank you! 

This video says the multi-tap is a " secret " and then explains the process. This is on the Horizon. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I've seen two different videos one of which was produced by a Carnival rep. Is it possible the specific tap instructions are for the forward elevators only? I know on the Vista everyone was saying only the forward most bank of elevators worked with a new system. That was nice of you to go check, thank you! 

It is possible that there are different instructions for different elevators.  I will try to remember to look at others. I think the new system is a little confusing for people, at first.  It would help if there was a little sign above each of the touch screens that tells people to press the deck number once for each member in their party.  From what I have noticed, people are only pressing it once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

It is possible that there are different instructions for different elevators.  I will try to remember to look at others. I think the new system is a little confusing for people, at first.  It would help if there was a little sign above each of the touch screens that tells people to press the deck number once for each member in their party.  From what I have noticed, people are only pressing it once.

Yes you press one time for each person.  And when I am with my DH on his scooter, I will push it 3 times so to make sure there is plenty of room for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Puerto Vallarta - Rhythm of the Nights
This was a very fun excursion.  Everyone met in the Horizon dining area and then boarded a two story boat.  The crew on the boat was very entertaining.  When we got to the beach, we followed a path to where the tables were set up.  They had several buffet stations, so there were no long lines.  We were offered drinks for free, but many people purchased wrist bands for unlimited better drinks.  The show was amazing.  The crew had some great entertainment on the way back to the Panorama, so if you go on this excursion make sure you grab a seat on the bottom deck so that you can see it.

While you were in Puerto Vallarta did the ship time adjust at all? I know its a 2 hour time difference between LA and PV.  I believe it typically doesn't, but then again I've read different threads with some conflicting information.  We are sailing in June and I'm looking at booking a non carnival excursion. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, outdoors27 said:

While you were in Puerto Vallarta did the ship time adjust at all? I know its a 2 hour time difference between LA and PV.  I believe it typically doesn't, but then again I've read different threads with some conflicting information.  We are sailing in June and I'm looking at booking a non carnival excursion. Thanks

Yes, the ship time moved up one hour.  Now that we are due back in Long Beach on Saturday, we are told to move the time back an hour.  The Panorama definitely adjusts the time by one hour during the cruise.

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, the ship time moved up one hour.  Now that we are due back in Long Beach on Saturday, we are told to move the time back an hour.  The Panorama definitely adjusts the time by one hour during the cruise.

Thank you for the quick response enjoy!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise..

Edited by outdoors27
  • Like 1

I looked a little closer at the elevators.  The ones near my cabin have four small touch screens, two on each side.  There is a large display screen above the elevators, one on each side.  So, when you need to use the elevator you walk up to one of the small touch screens and select the deck.  Then the touch screen will display an elevator letter.  When this happens, the large displays above the elevators change from showing the instructions on how to use the elevators to a list of the elevators in that section by letter.  Under each letter, it shows the decks that elevator will be stopping on.

Straws - I have only ordered drinks at the comedy shows.  They provide a sugar straw with the frozen drinks.  Those last 20 to 25 minutes.  They do not provide straws with drinks that aren't frozen.  I am sure if you asked for a straw, they will give you one.  But they don't automatically give you a straw.

Butter pats - In the buffet, they have pats of butter in a large bowl and a set of tongs.  This seemed to work well except for the one time they opened the buffet and the butter pats were floating in a bowl of water.  I assume that they were once on top of ice.  Other than that time, it seems to be a good way to provide the butter pats.

Comedy shows - The shows have been great.  There was only one night they didn't have comedy shows.  They clear the theater between shows, although not always between the family shows.  If you want to see the shows back to back, it's good to get a seat near the door so that you can line up quickly for the next show.

@TNcruising02 What is the terminal / check in area like at Long Beach? I am planning on having a car rental so would like to drive up, check in luggage, then drive to return car and walk back to terminal. Will it be possible at Long Beach? Some terminals are totally open and easy to drive up to, leave and come back - others are totally closed off and very difficult to get in / out.

13 minutes ago, webzila said:

@TNcruising02 What is the terminal / check in area like at Long Beach? I am planning on having a car rental so would like to drive up, check in luggage, then drive to return car and walk back to terminal. Will it be possible at Long Beach? Some terminals are totally open and easy to drive up to, leave and come back - others are totally closed off and very difficult to get in / out.

I stayed at the Maya and took their shuttle bus to the port, so I am not exactly sure how hard it is to use a car. Maybe someone who drove for this past cruise can tell you.

There is a lot of construction going on in the vicinity and my shuttle driver that took me from the airport to the hotel had to circle around because one of the roads was closed.

The terminal area itself seemed clear when I arrived by shuttle around 11:00 am. It also was clear when I exited the terminal around 8:00 am. I hope someone who drove can be more helpful.

Edited by TNcruising02

Getting off the ship was easy since we carried off our own bags. We were in front of our gate at the airport at 9:45. 

Traffic at the airport was moving very slowly. There was a long line to check in luggage and also a long line for pre check screening. Then we had to take a shuttle bus from terminal 2 to terminal 3. Our flight wasn’t until 12:55, so we had plenty of time. People should allow plenty of time for the process of getting to their gate.

Once we got on the plane and it was ready to depart, some guy decided he wanted off. By the time he was let off of the plane and we were able to take off, it caused an hour delay. This caused people, including us,  to miss their connecting flights. This is an example of why we always fly in a day early. Even though this was for our flight home, delays can happen any time.

Edited by TNcruising02

On 12/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, TNcruising02 said:

Getting off the ship was easy since we carried off our own bags. We were in front of our gate at the airport at 9:45. 

Traffic at the airport was moving very slowly. There was a long line to check in luggage and also a long line for pre check screening. Then we had to take a shuttle bus from terminal 2 to terminal 3. Our flight wasn’t until 12:55, so we had plenty of time. People should allow plenty of time for the process of getting to their gate.

Once we got on the plane and it was ready to depart, some guy decided he wanted off. By the time he was let off of the plane and we were able to take off, it caused an hour delay. This caused people, including us,  to miss their connecting flights. This is an example of why we always fly in a day early. Even though this was for our flight home, delays can happen any time.

Thanks for all the insight into the Panorama! I'm sailing on her in February and am getting excited!

I'm wondering if your scheduled time back in to Long Beach was 9am like my cruise is, and what time you actually docked. I'd really like to take a flight home at 10:30am from LGB as opposed to the next flight at 1pm but if we can't get off until 9am that will never work. 

When we sailed this same cruise this past February we were at the airport by 8:30am doing self-disembark so I'm wondering if it's likely going to be that same way this time. I appreciate any insight you can provide!

Suzy

• Like 1