GSC added to some Encore itineraries

SSMcruises

I personally would like the extra stop in GSC.  I have not been there in years and would love to see all the changes. I don't care for Tortola.  But so far, I have not been advised for any changes for the Feb 23 sailing.

I knew something had to change if GSC was real.  No way there would be enough time coming all the way from Tortola.  But an early leave in Tortola would do the trick.  Leaving Tortola at 2 means an all aboard by 1:30.  There is not even time to go to the beach LOL.  I would not even get off the ship.

Thanks again for posting the official word from NCL.  Curious why some sailings have the change and others do not.

Edited by david_sobe

It seems to be every other week Jan, Feb, March.

It is unusual to actually add ports instead of swap outs, etc.  Although GSC in the winter is a 50/50 chance so I am convincing myself the longer day in Tortola is the way to go.  I cant imagine all aboard at 1:30.

• Like 2

We received the e-mail yesterday for our 1/19/19 Encore sailing and even though I like GSC, I love having the last day of the cruise be a sea day.  I specifically try to book cruises that don't stop in the Bahamas for this reason.  I won't let it bother me though still planning on having a great time as always.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lostone65 said:

We received the e-mail yesterday for our 1/19/19 Encore sailing and even though I like GSC, I love having the last day of the cruise be a sea day.  I specifically try to book cruises that don't stop in the Bahamas for this reason.  I won't let it bother me though still planning on having a great time as always.  

Great attitude.  I agree with you 100%. I love the last day to be a sea day. Its so depressing having the last cruise day in Nassau.  My sailing is not going to GSC.  I really was looking forward to seeing all the changes since its been a few years that I was there.  But I am happy either way 🙂  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, david_sobe said:

It seems to be every other week Jan, Feb, March.

It is unusual to actually add ports instead of swap outs, etc.  Although GSC in the winter is a 50/50 chance so I am convincing myself the longer day in Tortola is the way to go.  I cant imagine all aboard at 1:30.

Not in every case.  For example, the sailing before ours 1/19 stops at GSC as do we on 1/26.  So does 2/2 right after us.

So who knows?!!  Life you say GSC can be iffy especially that time of year.  We're personally looking forward to stopping there as, like you, haven't been there in years and would like to see all the changes/improvements.  

On 12/20/2019 at 5:28 PM, dshefter said:

Total BS from NCL if this is true. I understand sometimes get changed due to weather, but this is just an attempt by NCL to spend more time at its own island.

It is actually kinda intriguing. The island, in general, is not a big money maker. Yeah, they will sell a few wave runner rides and a few cabanas. But to get there, they have to run the ship significantly faster from Tortola costing tens of thousands of dollars in fuel. 

We would have really liked to have a stop in GSC instead of the sea day on our Encore cruise last month. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is actually kinda intriguing. The island, in general, is not a big money maker. Yeah, they will sell a few wave runner rides and a few cabanas. But to get there, they have to run the ship significantly faster from Tortola costing tens of thousands of dollars in fuel. 

We would have really liked to have a stop in GSC instead of the sea day on our Encore cruise last month. 

Still would have been nice to know this change much earlier. We planned an excursion to JVD in Tortola and now that  likely will be canceled. Docking from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. is a total waste. Would rather see NCL skip Puerto Rico since it is a night stop. Whatever you think, this is still a money grab for NCL.

9 minutes ago, dshefter said:

Still would have been nice to know this change much earlier. We planned an excursion to JVD in Tortola and now that  likely will be canceled. Docking from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. is a total waste. Would rather see NCL skip Puerto Rico since it is a night stop. Whatever you think, this is still a money grab for NCL.

Good points!   We were excited for San Juan until we saw the hours.    But, as we love Tortola and BVIs, we were happy to see a nice full day in port there.    Now that's gone.   

GSC is always iffy and gets cancelled so often.  If we make it there, still dislike the tender process and trying to find a shady lounger.   

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Pibblefan said:

Also on 1/19.  Fine with GSC addition, but I'm disappointed that they took us to just half a day in Tortola.

I'm wondering if they'll cancel PR since there's so much damage from the earth quakes this week.

Wish they would cancel PR and give us a full day in Tortola. Night port. Such a waste.

• Like 1