Exactly what is a future cruise credit?

rentlady

2 hours ago, SDWalt said:

Question about FCD.  If I have some FCD's on my account, does it get utilized if I book with the big box travel agency?  Or do you need to book directly with Princess to use the FCD and also get the OBC?  I booked a Mexico cruise for Jan 2021 with FCD but could have gotten the same perk & pricing through the big box.  The big box also offered a coupon book and a cash card.

Thanks!

Yes, if you are booking directly through the big box store you just tell them you want to use your FCDs as the deposit.  Also that you want to use the oldest one, though I often give them the last 3 or 4 digits of my oldest ones to give them a head's up.  No need to book directly through the cruise line unless you want to.  Also you can transfer bookings from the cruise line to a travel agency within 60 days of booking it.

3 hours ago, SDWalt said:

Question about FCD.  If I have some FCD's on my account, does it get utilized if I book with the big box travel agency?  Or do you need to book directly with Princess to use the FCD and also get the OBC?  I booked a Mexico cruise for Jan 2021 with FCD but could have gotten the same perk & pricing through the big box.  The big box also offered a coupon book and a cash card.

Thanks!

Just tell the TA you have FCD to use and they can apply it to the deposit. Simple. If it has been less than 60 days since you booked you can transfer the booking to the TA of your choice.

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

I am amused by all the people that have failed to answer the question!

A Future Cruise Credit is a form of compensation awarded by Princess Cruise Lines.

It is typically issued when a cruise is cancelled or shortened due to a problem encountered by a Princess Cruise Lines ship and will be equal to a percentage of fare that can be applied to a future cruise..

Yes, that is what a Future Cruise Credit (of FCC) actually is. Unfortunately the term is often used when what is really meant is a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) which is purchased while onboard and used for deposit and OBC on a future cruise.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yes, that is what a Future Cruise Credit (of FCC) actually is. Unfortunately the term is often used when what is really meant is a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) which is purchased while onboard and used for deposit and OBC on a future cruise.

It still does not excuse people failing to answer the question asked.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

It still does not excuse people failing to answer the question asked.

Well... I think that most of the folks believed they were answering in regard to what the thought the OP meant. I agree with you though. If one knows the difference between FCC and FCD I don't believe it's rude or insulting to politely let the OP know that there actually is a difference and to explain what each term means. I have occasionally found a thread on the second page where nobody had actually addressed the original question - even when there isn't, as there is in this case, an ambiguity. It's surprising to be sure.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, brisalta said:

I am amused by all the people that have failed to answer the question!

A Future Cruise Credit is a form of compensation awarded by Princess Cruise Lines.

It is typically issued when a cruise is cancelled or shortened due to a problem encountered by a Princess Cruise Lines ship and will be equal to a percentage of fare that can be applied to a future cruise..

For example one 10 day cruise I took was shortened by 2 days.

They awarded "each guest who sails will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 30% of the original cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise booked xxxxxxxx".

(In addition in this instance they also refunded 2 days fare and gave every passenger 300 USD refundable on board credit and changed flights etc. for people that used EZair)

Actually, you are not totally correct as long as we are splitting hairs.  The title of the thread does say future cruise credit but the OP in the first line asks what is the point of purchasing one or more.  You do not purchase FCC as you yourself point out.  The logical conclusion is to answer the question by assuming the OP who appears to be a newbie intended FCD.  Telling OP you do not purchase FCC is correct and seems to please you but is not helpful.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Actually, you are not totally correct as long as we are splitting hairs.  The title of the thread does say future cruise credit but the OP in the first line asks what is the point of purchasing one or more.  You do not purchase FCC as you yourself point out.  The logical conclusion is to answer the question by assuming the OP who appears to be a newbie intended FCD.  Telling OP you do not purchase FCC is correct and seems to please you but is not helpful.

The only one who actually attempted to answer the question asked was Steelers36 with a very brief explanation of FCC and then added information about FCD.

If I had been the first to answer I would have asked them to clarify the question as what they talked about in the first post did not align well with the question.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, 57eric said:

You cannot purchase Future Cruise Credits.  They are awarded by the cruise line as compensation.  But I think Aus Traveller answered the question you meant to ask.

You can purchase future cruise credits while onboard 

53 minutes ago, cmerun said:

Sorry, but you don't to be correct about it.  You are buying a Future Cruise Deposit on board.  As the name implies, these are held on account and can be used in a future booking to satisfy the deposit requirement.  When you do this, Princess gives you back cash in the form of additional OBC.  How much you get back depends on the length of cruise and cabin category booked.  You can even earn back all your FCD, or even more than you invested.  If you don't apply a FCD to a booking within two years, Princess refunds it back, so nothing is lost.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, cmerun said:

As noted, you can buy a 'Future Cruise Deposit'(FCD) while onboard. 

'Future Cruise Credits'(FCC) are a different animal and cannot be used as all or part of a deposit for a future cruise nor can they be purchased by a customer.  They are issued by Princess from their internal criteria.

Each type of credit is listed separately in your Cruise Personalizer .

The similarity of the names makes it easy to confuse them. 

Edited by thinfool

I have another question about Future Cruise Deposits to piggy-back on the OP's question:

My husband and I each have two FCDs right now. So, altogether we have 4 on deposit.

I am anticipating booking a Fall 2020 cruise for my two daughters and me. Just us 3 girls. I will be making the booking for all 3 of us.  What does this mean for using the FCDs I have --- will I use mine for me, and I'll have to make separate, different amount, deposits for them???  Or can I use 3 of the 4 I have on deposit for the 3 of us, even though they were originally made for my husband?

So glad to get the chance to find this out now!

33 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

I have another question about Future Cruise Deposits to piggy-back on the OP's question:

My husband and I each have two FCDs right now. So, altogether we have 4 on deposit.

I am anticipating booking a Fall 2020 cruise for my two daughters and me. Just us 3 girls. I will be making the booking for all 3 of us.  What does this mean for using the FCDs I have --- will I use mine for me, and I'll have to make separate, different amount, deposits for them???  Or can I use 3 of the 4 I have on deposit for the 3 of us, even though they were originally made for my husband?

So glad to get the chance to find this out now!

FCDs are only good for the person who bought them. Once you book the cruise, you'll have 1 FCD and DH will have 2. 

You'll have to pay full deposit for the daughters.

Once they're on the cruise, tell them to buy some FCDs. :classic_wink: