Jamaica, Saint Lucia & Barbados Make List of "20 of the most dangerous countries for LGBT travelers"

mnocket

The board entitled Gay & Lesbian Cruisers identified as a 'Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises' may shed some light on this.  Interesting that your post indicated Jamaica first, for it is probably the most homophobic location of the lot.

• Like 1

In my experience many gay and lesbian passengers have stayed onboard during stops in Jamaica. It could be because they do not feel safe or simply done out of principle. All of those countries have disturbing track records when it comes to equal human rights. Between those issues and X using Falmouth in the past, the decision to stay onboard is easy for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gay or straight, I think Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Barbados are dangerous for everyone. I get an uneasy feeling in Barbados, and in Jamaica (when X did the Falmouth stop) as soon as I stepped foot outside the port gates I was offered to buy drugs.

While a call at one of those islands wouldn't stop me from selecting an itinerary (if it were otherwise good) I would either stay on the ship or book an excursion.

I found Barbados a great place. Last time we got off the ship and walked through town,rented a car and headed for Harrisons caves. Then we went to walkers beach and explored the Atlantic coast down past Bathsheba. It was fantastic and we enjoyed the day without any hassle from locals and felt very comfortable walking around. 

We found St Lucia find in the city but felt a little more uncomfortable if you walk too far outside of the main area.

Jamaica,  been there, done it, don't need the hassle. 

Link? Who made up  this list? What criteria did they use? Anybody can make up a list, but that doesn't mean it can withstand critical analysis.

Not surprised about Jamaica, but I can think of several other countries that are much more homophobic.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Link? Who made up  this list? What criteria did they use? Anybody can make up a list, but that doesn't mean it can withstand critical analysis.

Not surprised about Jamaica, but I can think of several other countries that are much more homophobic.

Sorry I forgot to post the link.  Too late to edit now.  Here it is......

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/destinations/2019/12/27/lgbt-travel-20-most-dangerous-countries-nigeria-egypt/2756349001/